Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was referring to reliable. In my youth, 40+ years ago, I replaced more than one clutch. I the past 30 year, I have not replaced a single automatic transition.
300,000 miles from a clutch. Sold it…….so some left.
Drive it right, including downshifting, and it will rust out from under you first.
Sponsored

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd order a manual transmission in a second!! They are fun to drive and require engagement with your driving environment...in other words...pay attention. Besides barely 18 per cent of the American population can drive a vehicle with manual transmission. It is a lot of fun to watch would be thieves throw their hands in the air when they realize they can't drive what they want to steal!!!
Driving a stick takes no more concentration than carrying on a conversation while walking. Shifting, up or down, is just part of getting from point A to point B, sometimes with more spirit than other times.
And yes, if you know what you’re doing, the thinking man’s manual will get better gas mileage than the “dumb” AT.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

300,000 miles from a clutch. Sold it…….so some left.
Drive it right, including downshifting, and it will rust out from under you first.
I my youth I couldn't afford new. I did drive a lot of secondary that were more sand than gravel.

Roscop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was referring to reliable. In my youth, 40+ years ago, I replaced more than one clutch. I the past 30 year, I have not replaced a single automatic transition.
Ford has had terrible reliability with some of their cvt transmissions, class action law suits with the Focus and Fusion, clutches can go for a long time unless they're not being driven correctly and people are burning the clutch.

Sponsored

AURktman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-X
Engine
Undecided
Answer for me is not only Yes, but Hell Yes!

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford has had terrible reliability with some of their cvt transmissions, class action law suits with the Focus and Fusion, clutches can go for a long time unless they're not being driven correctly and people are burning the clutch.
You're thinking of their dual clutch automatic transmissions (Powershift), I believe Ford only does an ECVT which is actually Toyota technology and has nothing in common with those band type CVTs that have a high failure rate. You actually can't really get more simple than the ecvt, it's actually quite brilliant the way it works and how simple it is. Look up a video on youtube about it, it's pretty interesting.

Roscop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're thinking of their dual clutch automatic transmissions (Powershift), I believe Ford only does an ECVT which is actually Toyota technology and has nothing in common with those band type CVTs that have a high failure rate. You actually can't really get more simple than the ecvt, it's actually quite brilliant the way it works and how simple it is. Look up a video on youtube about it, it's pretty interesting.
That's true, I was just pointing out the fact that Ford has had automatic transmission problems in the past, and that in general, manual transmissions are more reliable, and significantly cheaper to fix.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I grew up driving manuals. First car I ever drove was a VW "Combi" (old van from the early 50's). My first personally owned car was an Austin-Healey Sprite (complete with SCCA roll bars and 5-point seat belts). I owned at least seven other manuals in my life - all of them of the "sporty" nature.

I love driving a stick, but I voted "No" in this poll, primarily because I'm getting a hybrid, and I believe the ECVT is the perfect transmission for the hybrid. If I was getting an EcoBoost, I would definitely be interested, though I would have to drive it first. Some trucks with manual transmissions are total crap in terms of driver "feel"... Others are pretty sweet. (Not to mention that it's pretty hard for a 5-speed manual to match the efficiency of an 8-speed auto these days.)
Sponsored