Sponsored

8-Speed Transmission: Can it be downshifted manually?

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Can the 8-speed be downshifted manually like the six speed in my '13 F150? What is the "L" for on that rotary shifter knob? Anyone know?
Also, I did a forum search before posting and one user says the tranny is crap. What?
Sponsored

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The L should be for low gear.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Traditionally in Fords L locks the transmission to 1st gear for better ratios in cases where maximum traction is need such as snow/mud/sand/deep gravel (Most others put the transmission in 2nd gear which allows for too much spin IMO)

I don't believe I've seen that the Maverick has selectable/shiftable gears. The Bronco Sport Badlands with the 2.0EB and the same transmission does via paddle shifters on the steering wheel. These paddle shifter will likely be able to be added by user if you buy the parts from the Ford parts catalog. I've seen it done on many other manufacturer's vehicles in recent years.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hoping the "L" button would drop me a gear at a time with each press. The Haul mode on my F150 downshifts going down hills to keep the speed constant. With the Mav I'll engage it descending forest roads. Hopefully someone here has advice for getting off the Highway? I like to get over 150k on my brake pads.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The FX4 and tow package have additional modes for tow and offroad.

OP
OP

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FX4 and tow package have additional modes for tow and offroad.
Thanks, now you're jogging my memory. I'm getting tow so I'll have haul. FX4 has the hill descent. I ain't getting that.
So I have to guess the Haul doesn't downshift down grades. Oh well.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Ford has a manual mode in most of it's truck, i.e. my Ranger. Pull the shifter into "M", and there's a button on the shifter to change them manually. I would think they would have that on the Maverick also. But..........

Last edited:

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The best I could determine there is no select shift on this vehicle. Confirmed by Tim Bartz at Long Mc
Arthur Ford. I am probably going to switch my order to the Hybrid at the Dealer tomorrow. I can't live for years with no control over 8 forward gears. NO WAY

Guess I will be saving over $4K

Sponsored

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't believe I've seen that the Maverick has selectable/shiftable gears. The Bronco Sport Badlands with the 2.0EB and the same transmission does via paddle shifters on the steering wheel. These paddle shifter will likely be able to be added by user if you buy the parts from the Ford parts catalog. I've seen it done on many other manufacturer's vehicles in recent years.
Wonder what those parts cost?

OP
OP

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best I could determine there is no select shift on this vehicle. Confirmed by Tim Bartz at Long Mc
Arthur Ford. I am probably going to switch my order to the Hybrid at the Dealer tomorrow. I can't live for years with no control over 8 forward gears. NO WAY

Guess I will be saving over $4K
Plus, every time you control the hybrid with the brakes a flow of coins out of the cubby will ensue in the form of gas savings.
But it never snows in Kansas. :) Up here I feel the need for AWD. I'll pitch coins into the cubby for my brake pads every time I hit the brake.

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
Can the 8-speed be downshifted manually like the six speed in my '13 F150? What is the "L" for on that rotary shifter knob? Anyone know?
Also, I did a forum search before posting and one user says the tranny is crap. What?
It sure would be nice if someone could make and sell a kit to add a up-down shift button to the Maverick.

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I found this on the Mavericks online owners manual.

Ford Maverick 8-Speed Transmission: Can it be downshifted manually? D20BAC2A-30E0-413B-BD68-01C2473BDE81

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
Agree that it would be nice to be able to manually control which gear you're in. However, check out page 227 of the Mav Owners Manual (you can find them online). The Drive Modes add different types of help by shifting the gears the way you would shift if you had manual control. For example, the Tow/Haul mode downshifts the transmission based on how hard you press the brake! I've never heard of that before, but that's just me. Maybe it's become common. After driving it, maybe I won't feel the need to manually shift the gears.

Ford Maverick 8-Speed Transmission: Can it be downshifted manually? Drive Modes.JPG
Sponsored