Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

dmbell502

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Titan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like a manual transmission in my play car, but not as a daily driver in Houston traffic
Sponsored

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
You are all missing the point of manual tras today....they are a millennial anti theft device!
As a millennial, I completely agree. However, the boomer generation should've taught their kids how to drive manual 😝

A fun little anecdote, I remember sitting on my parent's lap, steering the car and shifting gears when I was 4 or 5 on the back roads of Tennessee and in the parking lot of a high school. Heck, I taught my wife how to drive manual and she drove a manual CR-V until she got her Honda Odyssey. She got a lot of looks when she drove the Type R around

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a millennial, I completely agree. However, the boomer generation should've taught their kids how to drive manual 😝

A fun little anecdote, I remember sitting on my parent's lap, steering the car and shifting gears when I was 4 or 5 on the back roads of Tennessee and in the parking lot of a high school. Heck, I taught my wife how to drive manual and she drove a manual CR-V until she got her Honda Odyssey. She got a lot of looks when she drove the Type R around
I've started teaching my oldest and before they get their first car they have to learn a to drive a stick.

On the flop side driver skill is being lessened. Trucks can back up trailers for you, cameras so it's no longer pure skill hitting a trailer the first time, no manuals, mud and sand modes instead of driver throttle skill. I know when to crawl in mud and when to gun it.....cars even park themselves. We are making America's youth dumber.....need information? Ask Alexa instead of looking in a book.....need to research a paper? Hit up Google on your phone instead of going to the library to get an encyclopedia.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've started teaching my oldest and before they get their first car they have to learn a to drive a stick.

On the flop side driver skill is being lessened. Trucks can back up trailers for you, cameras so it's no longer pure skill hitting a trailer the first time, no manuals, mud and sand modes instead of driver throttle skill. I know when to crawl in mud and when to gun it.....cars even park themselves. We are making America's youth dumber.....need information? Ask Alexa instead of looking in a book.....need to research a paper? Hit up Google on your phone instead of going to the library to get an encyclopedia.
Your parents thought the same thing about you, and their parents about them. History is a chain of generations making things easier for the next one and then complaining about it. Break the chain.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your parents thought the same thing about you, and their parents about them. History is a chain of generations making things easier for the next one and then complaining about it. Break the chain.
Considering was raised on a farm and still know gee from haw they did break the chain. My kids are no different. I teach them to live off the land if needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB

I would not say we are making the youth dumber.... they might be worse drivers and not know how to search through an encyclopedia. But they do know how to operate and program the technology that makes those needs obsolete. They know how to get that stupid smart phone off Airplane mode too, which is keeps doing "all by itself".... :cautious:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would not say we are making the youth dumber.... they might be worse drivers and not know how to search through an encyclopedia. But they do know how to operate and program the technology that makes those needs obsolete. They know how to get that stupid smart phone off Airplane mode too, which is keeps doing "all by itself".... :cautious:
When a society forgets to do menial tasks they are in fact dumber. I have seen doctors that I would bet a dime to a dollar cannot unscrew a light bulb. As a society we forget that as complicated as todays systems are to us, the technology of any time was just as complicated to those in that time. The engineers who invented the computer for example could probably still change their own oil and flat tire and more than likely do their own tuneup.
My wife is the perfect example of the dumbing down God bless her soul......She is not stupid, but is so reliant on technology that she cannot even read a map. We are becoming so smart we are forgetting how to do simple tasks like that. Ask a 20 year old today how to replace a toilet. It takes about 30 minutes and just a wrench and a screwdriver. Better yet, ask that same 20 year old to show you how to use a tape measure. Yes. We are becoming dumber. Technology is getting better and soon will even be driving for us. We will be the dumber for it.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My days of shifting a transmission are over! Automatic all the way! I can see how some would enjoy that though.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Also I love watching videos of would be thieves jumping in a vehicle,seeing it is a stickshift,throwing up their hands and running away...sooo funny!!!
A couple years ago, I dropped off my late-model manual commuter for a warranty repair. Went to pick it up after work. The service adviser said they'd be right back. They were gone for over 20 minutes and returned...on foot.

Turns out, the service adviser didn't know that car was available with a manual, couldn't drive it, and couldn't find anyone else to drive it because almost all the mechanics, porters, and service advisers went home.

If the Maverick came in a manual I would get it, assuming I could get a decently upfitted trim. I think Toyota has got the right idea by only offering the manual Tacoma in TRD Off Road trim. But I have a feeling that Ford would do something similar like with the Ford Escape XLS Manual (yes, it was its own trim line) and only offer it in the most stripped-out spec.

But eh, a manual to me isn't a deal-breaker. My preferred transmission is an automatic with a manual valve body, but you're not going to find one of those in a mainstream vehicle.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh, and that 'technology' is getting easier to operate. Tell your car where you want to go. Tell your phone what you want it to do. Even the auto transmissions. Turn the knob. Actually I do like the last one.....I think. It no longer takes a smart person to operate todays technology.

I will give you the PERFECT example. It is a sad one from my days in the military and cost the lives of three souls.

All planes can get into what is called a dutch roll. It is where the front and rear of the plan spin on an axis centered in the middle of a plane. Imagine a string on the center and you push down on the front, the rear does the opposite. Most planes have autopilot. Most of those have what is called a yaw dampener system. On our planes this system has all but eliminated dutch roll. Our pilots had even quit learning how to overcome that themselves where in the past it was required. On one fateful day we had a plane go into a dutch roll right after takeoff. The pilot stated he was going to turn off the yaw dampener(because it was not working and pulling them out of it like it should do. This would have been the right call.) For what ever reason he did not. They could not pull it out of the roll. The co pilot declared a bent plane(plane that simply wont fly right in laymen's terms) and aborted the flight and decided to land. Before they got turned(while still in the roll), the yaw system commanded a full left rudder and the plane instantly came apart and exploded. This crash haunts me to this day. But had they been trained how to simply pull themselves out of it, they would have been fine. After the investigation, dutch roll training was made mandatory again.

So tech is good you will get no argument from me. But we should not forget the dumb stuff. Changing a tire in the middle of the night on some backwoods road with no cell service should be easy.

Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My latest bike #41 is a new Honda Rebel 1100 with DCT (dual clutch transmission). No clutch lever. In automatic is shifts up or down the 6 gears it has. If I want to shift, I got +/- paddles. In manual mode I have to shift up. It will shift down to 1st for me when I come to a stop. Nice to always be in 1st gear stopped. It has a user mode that allows me to vary the rpms when it will upshift. After 4k miles I must say I don't miss the clutch. I have manual and I have automatic with this bike. If I want to run it to redline in all gears I can till the 100 mph limiter kicks in. Around town I let it do my job. On twisty roads, I take charge. My other bikes have clutches and it's fun to shift.

I'm fine with the CVT transmission. Don't think I would have gotten a manual.
I had a Honda NC700 DCT for about a year and a half, and absolutely loved the transmission. A DCT is essentially an automated manual transmission. Hyundai/Kia use a DCT in their hybrids, so it makes me wonder if a manual transmission could be set up to work with a hybrid. Not that that would interest me, just thinking out loud.

flyvertigo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Road Star, Maverick, Corolla, Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This will be my first automatic In 50 years of diving. I won't know what to do with my left foot.

Last edited:

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love a manual.

They provide driving engagement and require a greater level of attentiveness of the driver to actually drive the vehicle.

Ford could throw a manual in, negate some chip requirements, and roll those Mavericks out!

No need to waste chips on the passive safety crap either, the manual will keep the driver engaged and attentive.

MaverickTime

Banned
Banned
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Ranger
I'm curious how many people would have gone with a good ole' fashion manual transmission if Ford offered it with the Maverick.

I love driving stick and contribute my love of cars to being taught how to drive a stick when I was young. I was curious how it worked and the more I learned the more interested I was. But now I'm in my late 20s and have to drive the same boring route every day, manual is becoming more of a chore (especially in traffic). I'd much rather have my fun car be a manual and my daily be an Auto. Luckily Ford is still putting them in Mustangs and Bronco's, but I can see that disappearing soon.

What do you think?
I love stick shift, added plus is that you will never get stranded with a dead battery, just pop the clutch and go.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. I love my manual truck right now, but one of the impetuses of buying the Mav is that my non-manual-driving spouse can drive it in an emergency.
Sponsored