Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
I'm curious how many people would have gone with a good ole' fashion manual transmission if Ford offered it with the Maverick.

I love driving stick and contribute my love of cars to being taught how to drive a stick when I was young. I was curious how it worked and the more I learned the more interested I was. But now I'm in my late 20s and have to drive the same boring route every day, manual is becoming more of a chore (especially in traffic). I'd much rather have my fun car be a manual and my daily be an Auto. Luckily Ford is still putting them in Mustangs and Bronco's, but I can see that disappearing soon.

What do you think?
Sponsored

Anturok

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD Lariat w/ 4k tow pkg
I was also taught how to drive on a manual (95 Ford probe), but after that drove a few automatic cars. When it was time for me to finally buy my own car I thought I wanted another manual so I bought a 07 Honda accord with a 6 spd manual and it was fun for a while, but definitely lost its luster in daily driving. It didn't help that it had some clutch problems, but I will stick with automatic for a daily driver now.
Not to say I wouldn't get a manual on lets say a wrangler or some sports cars(even though new automatics will give you fast times usually).

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe you would have to go to an EcoBoost engine to have stick shifting as the Hybrid would not allow it to work with stick shifting.

Since I am all in with the Hybrid my vote is NO.

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Driving a manual trans in D.C. traffic isn't my idea of fun.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I've owned and driven vehicles with manual transmissions, I definitely don't understand the romance. In the 21st century, manually shifting gears just makes no sense to me.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are all missing the point of manual tras today....they are a millennial anti theft device!

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I've owned and driven vehicles with manual transmissions, I definitely don't understand the romance. In the 21st century, manually shifting gears just makes no sense to me.
It's the control I like. Every gear had a use.....to this day I am deterred at most autos for not shifting to my standards.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The New Bronco has a manual transmission option for an 7 speed...7. back when you had 4 or 5, it was tolerable. Now, it's just way too much.

Optional paddle shifters for off road? Sure, but still want an automatic for daily driving.

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Manual transmission in my toy/weekend warrior car? Absolutely! I far prefer the visceral fun of driving my six speed Vette to an automatic, even if today's autos shift far more effectively than I ever could. :LOL:

Manual transmission in my daily driver though? Nope, absolutely ZERO interest in that.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess the only one who would like a manual for my DD.....had sticks most of my life and still have one. I honestly don't even think about shifting anymore. It's a natural action. I even find my self trying to shift my autos every now and then

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Owned a 2015 Honda Fit EX with CVT transmission that had a Sport Mode Feature and these Paddle toggles on the steering column to manually change shifting to simulate what the old style manual transmissions did.

Never ever used them.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm here for gas mileage, and an automatic transmission is far better at that kind of math than I'll ever be.
I suspect you are correct in this respect - these 8, 10 or more speed automatics were designed specifically to address fuel economy requirements changes over the last decade. 15-20 years ago a manual could be an auto on fuel economy every day of the week - now, it would probably take some very restricted driving practices to beat an auto (this coming from someone that used to do some pretty extreme hypermiling with my manual toyota yaris, including but not limited to shutting the engine off while still rolling in certain situations...dumb in retrospect).

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the control I like. Every gear had a use.....to this day I am deterred at most autos for not shifting to my standards.
The multi-gear automatics jump from gear to gear. My 6-Speed auto drives me crazy at 45 mph. I put it in Sport mode if I am driving at 45 mph.
The manual transmission has so much more control and ability to wind a gear up or down.
I am looking forward to the ECVT which can maintain a speed without upshifting/downshifting like a carnival ride.
Sponsored