Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would never plan to do it. If I ran out of gas and there was a gas station in sight, I definitely would drive it over on battery. You have about 1 mile at very slow speed.
Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So I'm driving my new awsome Alto Blue Lariat Hybrid Ford Maverick Truck and my dash has a popup "50 miles left until empty" this is after driving 465 miles since the last fillup! 😁, Then 25 miles later and 26 miles from the next gas station it pops up again stating "25 mile left until empty" and that got me to thinking:unsure: if I run out of gas can I drive in electric mode the last mile? I made it to the gas staion⛽ before I could find out and wasn't going to risk it.... So I thought I would ask you Hybrid owners if any of you ran out of gas and what happened?
You tube is your friend.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been driving ~26 years, routinely run all my vehicles to the low fuel light / 0 miles to empty even - never replaced a single fuel pump, with plenty of high mile vehicles.
That's like saying you've been eating bacon burgers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for 50 years, and haven't had a heart attack yet. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean that same exact thing causes a lot of issues for other people. Just like eating bacon all the time tends to cause issues for a lot of people.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's like saying you've been eating bacon burgers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for 50 years, and haven't had a heart attack yet. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean that same exact thing causes a lot of issues for other people. Just like eating bacon all the time tends to cause issues for a lot of people.
I've been reading about the whole "your fuel pump will die" bit for many years. Never had it happen or known anyone for that fact.
There's scientific evidence of poor health outcomes linked to high fat diets.
I've yet to see a study of fuel pump life and refueling level. I don't care what some Nut says on youtube, either.

I'll continue to take my fuel pump chances but continue to limit my In-N-Out trips to once a month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jski

jski

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You CAN run on battery alone but not far. About 1 mile on average.

Also your fuel pump will not over-heat. It is protected for that.

Also in the hybrid the "duty" cycle on the pump is low and it is going to be off any time you are in EV mode including running out of gas.

You won't even get air in the lines. It (the computer) shuts everything off before any harm can happen. In fact, it may be physically impossible to literally run dry. The computer may stop early as a precaution to protect all the things the worry worts above worry about.

I did it once. Drive as far as I could. About 800 miles.

Then the engine shut off in a normal controlled manner. Just like a hybrid does at a stoplight. No spittering or sputtering, no coughing or wheezing, no roughness. Just from normal to controlled engine shut off and dashboard light and "refuel now" message.

I drove around a mall parking lot for over 1 mile on battery alone. You are restricted to 25 mph and under, which makes your battery go the farthest.

A added 1 gallon from my can in the bed. Turned the key and had a perfectly normal restart. Instant startup. No spittering or sputtering. No roughness. No air in the lines. No warning messages. No codes thrown.

So I don't think you can run dry.
I think the computer reaches a point and says I'm letting you go no farther.

By the way, I forget the exact number but I was 75 miles or more past "empty", past the imaginary 0 mark.

The zero mark is an imaginary line.
There is reserve fuel past this mark.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jski

jski

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, That's really all I wanted to know for curiosity purposes... Didn't expect fuel pump debates

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I fill up just about every day, wether it needs it or not lol, sometimes twice. Put 5500 miles on in September.

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol all these posts about running your tanks near empty make me want to take the plunge and run the 10 miles past "empty" so I can finally join the 700 mile/tank club 🤣

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Hybrid question about gas 6F6EE072-E9E5-4188-B983-149991F06561
Lol all these posts about running your tanks near empty make me want to take the plunge and run the 10 miles past "empty" so I can finally join the 700 mile/tank club 🤣
Sponsored