FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are correct. If it doesn't do it naturally, it will be designed in. It's strange how much you realize you miss that feature after you spend a long time driving a car where creeping is a no-no, like with a dual clutch.
I still rest my aged hand on the automatic stick shift at a stoplight, like my manuals. What the heck is muscle memory gonna do with my rotary shifter?
I'll be Fred Flintstone trying to drive Jorge Jestsons car. Creep is regulated by bare feet touching the road, right?
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still rest my aged hand on the automatic stick shift at a stoplight, like my manuals. What the heck is muscle memory gonna do with my rotary shifter?
I'll be Fred Flintstone trying to drive Jorge Jestsons car. Creep is regulated by bare feet touching the road, right?
Yeah... I'm probably going to be pressing the invisible clutch before breaking for years.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

9 & 3

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems misleading to say the electric motor is de-energized when braking. The stator is doing some serious business when braking.
Well, we are talking about a vehicle at a full stop, and whether it will creep or not, correct?

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
:LOL: so you're the one, I've been looking for you!
A coworker is still looking for "the" programer who caused Y2K :love:

One of the most fun trouble tickets I ever had was "my word perfect button is GONE..HELP!
The user had stacked her icons :eek: (if you can stack your papers/books on top of each other on the real desk, then I "should" be able to do it on the computer"....right....

I luv it(y) big bucks for people who fix things
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
=Y2K update info= I was a programmer in 1970's. In 1970 I was hired for a rewrite of credit card billing system. When we discovered that management had approved 7 of the 12 hard drives (each of which was the size of a washing machine and cost several times the price of a Ford pickup) we had to redesign the data base so the data would fit on 5 drives. Someone said "💩The only way we can get there is with a one digit year💡" and I said "Aaarrrggghhh What about 1980?" to which my supervisor replied "I've worked here 24 years and longest time we've ever gone without changing cc billing was almost 4 years. SO WE WENT WITH ONE DIGIT YEAR". In 1979 I quit and went elsewhere knowing what the future would bring. I couldn't find anyone who would loan me several million dollars for computers, etc to get ready and test computer code to provide plug and play Y2K fix! Sorry guys but I could have eased the Y2K switchover. The root cause of Y2K was the lack of economical storage and single processors even in main frame computers, in which at the time when the processor did something like ask tape drive for data instead of waiting for data, branched to another program that was ready for processing, etc, etc... In 1970's mainframe computers costing $nnn,nnn+ didn't have the storage nor multi processor CPU's that your cell phone has today!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!
I am going to have to put you at the top of my list for post of the month. I have hardly stopped laughing for three weeks! I was going to respond with the idea of placing the rotary shifter on a stick so it would be easier to rest a hand on while at a light. Then I visualized sitting at a red light with my manual liking aged hand on a rotary shifter shaped like a golf ball and wondering what muscle memory might do while I had my bare left foot on the ground possibly to prevent any creeping!😂

Goose..you there?

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never driven a hybrid vehicle before, and I was wondering if there is any motion initiated when you place the transmission in gear and let off the brakes. Or, must you press the pedal for the vehicle to move at all? Assuming the ICE is off at the time, of course. Just curious, as when I back out of my drive in my car, I just let it roll on its own.
I have owned 2 Prius and one Hyundai Ionic…the ionic is a standard 6 speed auto, the Prius’s were normal to drive, no learning curve..The Hyundai is a much better car, with better mpg than either one of them. My Hope with my new Ford is that because it is an ECVT and not not a true cvt that the experience is much better…The drone and the rubber band effect is what I disliked about my Toyotas. Have fun, and you’ll get accustom to the trans pretty quick.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have owned 2 Prius and one Hyundai Ionic…the ionic is a standard 6 speed auto, the Prius’s were normal to drive, no learning curve..The Hyundai is a much better car, with better mpg than either one of them. My Hope with my new Ford is that because it is an ECVT and not not a true cvt that the experience is much better…The drone and the rubber band effect is what I disliked about my Toyotas. Have fun, and you’ll get accustom to the trans pretty quick.
All Toyota Hybrids since the first generation Prius have used eCVT transmissions, Ford licensed the technology from Toyota for it's Hybrids. There is no rubber band effect on Toyota Hybrids, there are no belts involved, unlike like traditional CVTs. Ford's may handle differently, that's down to how the computer for the transmission is programed. That Hyundai Hybrids have used traditional transmissions, since they didn't license the technology from Toyota, at least as far as I am aware. I suppose Hyundai may have developed their own eCVT?

Last edited:

Goose..you there?

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All Toyota Hybrids since the first generation Prius have used eCVT transmissions, Ford licensed the technology from Toyota for it's Hybrids. There is no rubber band effect on Toyota Hybrids, there are no belts involved, unlike like traditional CVTs. Ford's may handle differently, that's down to how the computer for the transmission is programed. That Hyundai Hybrids have used traditional transmissions, since they didn't license the technology from Toyota, at least as far as I am aware. I suppose Hyundai may have developed their own eCVT?
Thanks for the heads up on Prius trans…let’s just say, I’m not a fan..hoping the Ford has a better response to the pedal than they did! From the videos I have seen, I am thinking I should be good

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm pretty sure that fits and Toyota both borrowed from each other.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the heads up on Prius trans…let’s just say, I’m not a fan..hoping the Ford has a better response to the pedal than they did! From the videos I have seen, I am thinking I should be good
The Prius models have a low power gas motor, they are designed for efficacy not speed. Not much get up and go, likely the reason you didn't like them. That's a power problem, nothing to do with the transmission. My Camry Hybrid can do 0-60 in 6.5s, more than fast enough. Maverick Hybrid is slower than that though, tests I've seen make it look like it does 0-60 in 7-7.5s. It's not going to feel like a Ranger or Tacoma, it doesn't have that much HP.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, Ford and Toyota cross licensed some hybrid tech, not sure what parts exactly. I believe the eCVT tech came from Toyota though, they have patents on it.
I think Ford has patents on it, too.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think Ford has patents on it, too.
Actually, it looks like they both outsourced their hybrid transmissions to Aisin. I believe the transmission in the hybrid Maverick is the first to be built totally in house.
Sponsored