First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never driven a hybrid vehicle before, and I was wondering if there is any motion initiated when you place the transmission in gear and let off the brakes. Or, must you press the pedal for the vehicle to move at all? Assuming the ICE is off at the time, of course. Just curious, as when I back out of my drive in my car, I just let it roll on its own.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MLA62563

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wont move until you use the go pedal. There will be nothing moving if the engine is not running. Now if the engine is running it might be a different story.. Might keep you on your toes ..
Yep that's pretty much what I expected. The thought had occurred they might have the electric motor simulate a sort of "traditional" experience. Thanks!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never driven a hybrid vehicle before, and I was wondering if there is any motion initiated when you place the transmission in gear and let off the brakes. Or, must you press the pedal for the vehicle to move at all? Assuming the ICE is off at the time, of course. Just curious, as when I back out of my drive in my car, I just let it roll on its own.
I don't have mine yet so no experience but since the pedal just notifies computer how fast you want to go it will do that by transferring power from best available source to move truck. The ice may or may not be running and could be running at 2500 rpm if computer wants to charge battery that much but car won't move because you have not pressed the pedal but were checking to be sure your playful furry friend is safely in his carrier.

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you have the auto brake-hold on it should still "creep" like a normal automatic regardless of operation (EV/ICE) mode. My Fusion behaves this way.
Agreed, in my 2015 Fusion you begin moving once you let off the brake. Backing up as well as going forward.

Sponsored

Taco

First Name
clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
My wife has a Toyota Hybrid van.. It motor sounds is more like Back To The Future vehicles with hums with the electric motor and assist engine sounds funny.. The motor is not a pure or sexy hum. It is definitely not a Tesla full electric quiet sound..

I was also able to go to the Ford Dealer to turn on a 2.0 Ford Maverick truck.. It was also louder. Not sure because of insulation it sounded louder.. I guess ford is trying save money somewhere?

OP
OP
MLA62563

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you have the auto brake-hold on it should still "creep" like a normal automatic regardless of operation (EV/ICE) mode. My Fusion behaves this way.
Ah, "Creep". That's the word that wouldn't come to me when I needed it. Thanks for the the first hand info. Looks like I may get the "traditional" experience after all. Fine with it either way, but I'm kinda glad I won't have to tinker with 40+ years of conditioned response.

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wont move until you use the go pedal. There will be nothing moving if the engine is not running. Now if the engine is running it might be a different story.. Might keep you on your toes ..
My Prius starts moving like a traditional ICE when you take foot off gas

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for asking this. I was curious as well.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Agreed, in my 2015 Fusion you begin moving once you let off the brake. Backing up as well as going forward.
Remember, the hybrid transmission does not have a torque converter like a conventional automatic. It is more like a manual transmission with the clutch pressed in. It will roll down a slight slope forward or backward.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't realize the no-TC. That will be interesting!

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah, "Creep". That's the word that wouldn't come to me when I needed it. Thanks for the the first hand info. Looks like I may get the "traditional" experience after all. Fine with it either way, but I'm kinda glad I won't have to tinker with 40+ years of conditioned response.
Obviously I have no FHE with a Hybrid Maverick. I have driven hybrids twice; a Prius and a Camry. While I've always owned manuals, obviously I have plenty of experience in conventional automatics (rental cars and other loaners).

I can say that neither hybrid experience was odd or unnerving. They both started, stopped, and crept like I am used to. So no reprogramming required.

The Tesla M3, on the other hand, would require retraining. The very aggressive regenerative braking resulted in much different behavior when approaching turns, ramps, and stops. I'm most curious how the Maverick's been programmed with respect to braking.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Bad ... Yes of course it can move due to gravity but never having even been in a hybrid assumed that "auto park" function was engaged when nothing was touching the go pedal. So auto-park is a separate function? So is there no neutral position or just park, forward, or reverse? I need my cactus gray.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Bad ... Yes of course it can move due to gravity but never having even been in a hybrid assumed that "auto park" function was engaged when nothing was touching the go pedal. So auto-park is a separate function? So is there no neutral position or just park, forward, or reverse? I need my cactus gray.
The auto hold requires you to come to a complete stop before it turns on. So if you have it turned off or don't come to a complete stop when in gear then the electric motor still applies a slight amount of force even if you aren't pressing the throttle that will roll the vehicle like a traditional ICE w/ automatic transmission does. There is still a Neutral position, as well.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I believe Ford's PowerSplit eCVT is different from other hydrid transmissions.
https://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6775-what-is-an-ecvt-how-does-it-work-here-is-the-answer/

The manual shows shows neutral.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...s-manual-version-1_om_en-us_07_2021-pdf.2847/
Sponsored