First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing yet!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have owned a few hybrid vehicle, but they all had push button start. It's my understanding that only the Lariat Trim Maverick has Push Button start, so my question is:

Is the key used to just turn the vehicle on and off? On a regular vehicle the key operated ignition switch has 3 positions, Off, Accessory/On and Start, which is momentary to engage the starter. Since Hybrid engines typically don't start until the vehicle is put in gear and the gas pedal is pressed, how does this work with the Hybrid XL and XLT Trims?
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's an electronic ignition, so the key basically works like the push button in other hybrids. You turn the key past the accessory position, with your foot on the brake and watch for the 'Ready' light to come on. No need to crank the key till the motor starts like a traditional vehicle.

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Key has off, accessory/on and start, except start is a green light that says "ready"

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's an electronic ignition, so the key basically works like the push button in other hybrids. You turn the key past the accessory position, with your foot on the brake and watch for the 'Ready' light to come on. No need to crank the key till the motor starts like a traditional vehicle.
No need for foot on brake!

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLAirGunner

FLAirGunner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing yet!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks! So, it is still 3 position, just Off, Accessory, and On? Curious if a push button switch could be installed to replace the ignition switch? I'm assuming there is still a proxcimity sensor for the remote start and keyless entry.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even on a modern ICE car (e.g. Maverick EcoBoost), the Start ignition position does not directly power the starter. It's fully automated - flick the key to Start and let go, it'll fall back to Run, and the starter will run as long as needed to start the truck.

OP
OP
FLAirGunner

FLAirGunner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing yet!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay, thank you! Was just curious since all my previous Hybrid vehicles were push button start! I do like the idea of not having to take a key out of my pocket to start the truck, but not enough to pay the premuim for the Lariat!

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
It's a standard 4 position ignition lock. Off/lock, accessory (Windows, radio, wipers), on, and start. Even though turning the key to "start" is largely symbolic, it triggers the drivetrain to running/ready mode. Turning the key to on without "starting" powers up all the electronics, but won't activate the drivetrain.

norwichnickwilson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have owned a few hybrid vehicle, but they all had push button start. It's my understanding that only the Lariat Trim Maverick has Push Button start, so my question is:

Is the key used to just turn the vehicle on and off? On a regular vehicle the key operated ignition switch has 3 positions, Off, Accessory/On and Start, which is momentary to engage the starter. Since Hybrid engines typically don't start until the vehicle is put in gear and the gas pedal is pressed, how does this work with the Hybrid XL and XLT Trims?
On my XL hybrid I put the key in and turn it the same amount of clicks as any other car and there’s even a little movement for where you used to hear the crank. Now, it just says “ready”. It’s a little odd at first if you’ve never owned a hybrid.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a standard 4 position ignition lock. Off/lock, accessory (Windows, radio, wipers), on, and start. Even though turning the key to "start" is largely symbolic, it triggers the drivetrain to running/ready mode. Turning the key to on without "starting" powers up all the electronics, but won't activate the drivetrain.
Yup. The biggest thing "start" does is energize the high voltage contactors, allowing the HEV battery to be connected to the drivetrain. (and if its cold out or the battery is low, then automatically start the engine)
Sponsored