First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
check https://www.pure-gas.org/ for ethanol free gasoline. i found a few in upstate ny
Most are airports or specialty fuel manufacturers. One on the list is close to me. I have a 69 Z/28. I buy 5 gallons of 105 octane leaded and mix it with the rest of the tank with premium pump gas. Stuff costs 75 bucks for 5 gallons. Car is supposed to run on 95 leaded. Miss the days of Sunoco 260.
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

do you own any small engines? Why does everyone mechanically skilled use only ethanol free for small engine machines if ethonal doesn’t junk up the engine?
Great question.
Here's a great answer.

Small simple engines are carbureted not fuel injected. They cannot automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio needed when ethanol is present.

Second: small simple engines may contain inexpensive parts. Ethanol is bad for natural rubber, and natural cork (gaskets) as an example. Ethanol is also bad on fiberglas, so not recommended for some watercraft.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most are airports or specialty fuel manufacturers. One on the list is close to me. I have a 69 Z/28. I buy 5 gallons of 105 octane leaded and mix it with the rest of the tank with premium pump gas. Stuff costs 75 bucks for 5 gallons. Car is supposed to run on 95 leaded. Miss the days of Sunoco 260.
I remember days like that. I had a 68 mustang that ran on regular fuel had to buy bottles of lead additive. And keep them in the trunk every time I filled up. I didn't like having to do it back then. But I do miss those days now.

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in AR and it is called Unleaded 88 here, not E88. I haven't seen it called E88 anywhere in AR.
Ford Maverick 88 Octane Gas in Maverick Hybrid? 20220428_165643_compress77

It has a different pump handle which is blue. I gave it a 3 tank evaluation in my 2017 Tacoma 2.7L which is rated for up to 15% ethanol. My station had just added it to the pumps. Its a new station with all new eqpt.

The first 2 tanks made no sense. I got better mileage out of it than E10 gas. I was stoked but couldn't understand it.

The 3rd tank got worse mileage. It also started having problems starting. My engine would turn over for 5X normal before firing up. I was getting worried and ended up topping off with non-ethanol at 1/4 tank.

That fixed the hard starting issue. I did some research and found that the gas was blended at the time of delivery by the truck driver. If the blend was not available the driver would fill with a better grade of fuel.

Because of my unbelievable increased mileage and the fact that Unl88 was just added to my station I believe the first 2 tanks were non-ethanol and the third was the real deal 15% ethanol.

I feel that I gave it an honest evaluation and won't use it again. Only to fill a rental car going back to the rental company.

NatePabrant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great question.
Here's a great answer.

Small simple engines are carbureted not fuel injected. They cannot automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio needed when ethanol is present.

Second: small simple engines may contain inexpensive parts. Ethanol is bad for natural rubber, and natural cork (gaskets) as an example. Ethanol is also bad on fiberglas, so not recommended for some watercraft.
I truly appreciate this information. I learned something.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From Wikipedia

1669836583826.png
Does not show alcohol content in this picture but I have on rare occasions purchased fuel from a pump like this one. There was also a label elsewhere on pump that said "MAY CONTAIN UP TO 10% ALCOHOL". The station carries 87 octane and 91% octane gas with up to 10% alcohol in their storage tanks. The pump delivers a blend of the 87 and 91 octane fuels in the ratio of each in the octane which the buyer wishes to pay for!!!!! (If you want 89 you don't have to buy equal number of gallons of 87 and 91. But if you want 88.5 octane or whatever you want between 87 and 91 you could still get there).

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in AR and it is called Unleaded 88 here, not E88. I haven't seen it called E88 anywhere in AR.
20220428_165643_compress77.jpg

It has a different pump handle which is blue. I gave it a 3 tank evaluation in my 2017 Tacoma 2.7L which is rated for up to 15% ethanol. My station had just added it to the pumps. Its a new station with all new eqpt.

The first 2 tanks made no sense. I got better mileage out of it than E10 gas. I was stoked but couldn't understand it.

The 3rd tank got worse mileage. It also started having problems starting. My engine would turn over for 5X normal before firing up. I was getting worried and ended up topping off with non-ethanol at 1/4 tank.

That fixed the hard starting issue. I did some research and found that the gas was blended at the time of delivery by the truck driver. If the blend was not available the driver would fill with a better grade of fuel.

Because of my unbelievable increased mileage and the fact that Unl88 was just added to my station I believe the first 2 tanks were non-ethanol and the third was the real deal 15% ethanol.

I feel that I gave it an honest evaluation and won't use it again. Only to fill a rental car going back to the rental company.
Nice you can get no ethanol gas. Probably why it's just labeled unleaded 88 as the others say no ethanol.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember days like that. I had a 68 mustang that ran on regular fuel had to buy bottles of lead additive. And keep them in the trunk every time I filled up. I didn't like having to do it back then. But I do miss those days now.
Yes I don't drive the Z that much. Been thinking I don't have to do the leaded as it takes a while for the valves to wear.

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice you can get no ethanol gas. Probably why it's just labeled unleaded 88 as the others say no ethanol.
It's definitely misleading. Being that it is the cheapest option I can see many people pumping it vs E10. I actually Googled it at the pump when I saw it. There is no reference to what it actually is at the pump.

I moderated on 2 small engine forums and most small engine related problems are from ethanol gas sitting and collecting moisture. It turns into a white goo after awhile. I only run non-ethanol in my small engines.

If I had to run ethanol gas due to no availability I'd drain the ethanol gas at end of season and run canned ethanol free for storage.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just run E85 in my boosted Mustang. 105 octane for under $3 a gallon.

Sponsored

Blume

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer maveric
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

been using 88 15 % since new 28000 trouble free, used in 2017 explorer no problems, cant tell difference .right now 40 cent gallon cheaper, over thanks giving it was 199 gal. if you have sheets card and there credit card you get another 8 cents off