2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm, a 500-650 mile range and someone runs out of gas. 🙄
Yup, yup. Just fueled up an hour ago at 542 mi, with 90 miles left. No need to push it. Checked the dipstick too. Trip meter says 47 mgp tank, pump says 43.4.
Sponsored

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It drove electric only at about 38.4mph for 1.75 miles (Hybrid battery started at 47.6%, which isn't very high). At 26.8% it cut power to the motor.
Was that with pedal to the floor?

Interesting data as you'd be hard pressed (impossible?) to keep the truck at 38.4mph electric only over that kind of distance on level road with a start-able gas engine.

1.1kWh battery, you were able to travel 1.75 miles on 20.8% of that capacity. That gives us 131 watts per mile or about 7.6 miles per kilowatt. Very nice! Maybe someone like @GPSMan has more data points?

Makes you wonder what our truck would be like if tomorrow you could buy batteries with 100x the energy density for $3.50 and put a 110kWh pack in our Mav. 😜

OP
OP
Eyesskyward

Eyesskyward

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was that with pedal to the floor?

Interesting data as you'd be hard pressed (impossible?) to keep the truck at 38.4mph electric only over that kind of distance on level road with a start-able gas engine.

1.1kWh battery, you were able to travel 1.75 miles on 20.8% of that capacity. That gives us 131 watts per mile or about 7.6 miles per kilowatt. Very nice! Maybe someone like @GPSMan has more data points?

Makes you wonder what our truck would be like if tomorrow you could buy batteries with 100x the energy density for $3.50 and put a 110kWh pack in our Mav. 😜
When I ran out of gas it was at about 45mph. I kept the speed steady at 40mph with as little input as possible for a while, then gradually slowed. Very little pedal movement overall.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So a lot of the distance in the above case was coasting with momentum already gained.

I've driven many hybrids and a few EV's.

It a common average to get 4 miles per kilowatt hour with "gentle" driving and 2.5 miles per kilowatt hour with vigorous driving.

That's the physics. Tesla or Bolt or Lightning or Maverick or Prius, all about the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eyesskyward

Eyesskyward

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just it again and from "0 Miles To Empty" to the truck stopping was 32.1 miles.
In the second test's 32.1 miles waiting for it to run out of gas:
Eco mode
A/C on Auto 78
Mixed driving- some stop and go and some 60mph highway
No hills
I drove with traffic. No fast starts or attempting to hypermile.
It sat overnight one night.

jerrisn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid/2023 Hyundai Tuscon/2013 Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just it again and from "0 Miles To Empty" to the truck stopping was 32.1 miles.
Apart from a couple of occasions, I wouldn't consider it advisable to operate the engine until it's completely out of fuel. That's at least the explanation I've always been given.

In my view, I'd also be cautious regarding the battery, avoiding depleting it entirely. Presumably, it has a predefined minimum threshold, but over time, this threshold will likely decrease as the battery ages until it eventually leads to problems.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea . usually the fuel pump is immersed in gas to help keep it cool . running tank dry would also add stress to fuel pump probably reducing its longevity .

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yea . usually the fuel pump is immersed in gas to help keep it cool . running tank dry would also add stress to fuel pump probably reducing its longevity .
Some Broncos are having issues with fuel pumps failing when they are taken off-road with low fuel. Some have stated that they had a fuel pump failure and didn't have an empty tank, and weren't off-road. But did they do that before the failure? I suspect they probably did.

I still don't think there's 2.7 gallons of reserve in a Maverick fuel tank btw. :LOL:

And oddly enough, the hybrid might be more tolerant of this than the ecoboost, since the ecoboost is GDI and the hybrid isn't. Direct injection typically is 3000-3600 psi fuel pressure.

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I dropped 13.67 gallons into my hybrid last night. It's not a 12 gallon tank.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I dropped 13.67 gallons into my hybrid last night. It's not a 12 gallon tank.
Not a 13 gallon or 14 gallon or 15 gallon tank either. 😜

On two occasions, I've added more than 16 gallons to a hybrid, from different brands of gas in different cities.

13.8 is the imaginary empty point the computer uses, which is not as large as the physical tank size.

Maybe 13.8 is as much as you SHOULD USE. But it's not how much liquid fuel it holds.

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone mentioned the dash warning messages you get when the tank gets close to empty?

Mine warned me:
“10 miles left- 5 miles left- 2 miles left- fuel tank is empty”

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Has anyone mentioned the dash warning messages you get when the tank gets close to empty?

Mine warned me:
“10 miles left- 5 miles left- 2 miles left- fuel tank is empty”
Hmmm.....🤔

I don't know if I've ever seen 2 miles.
It does that maybe if you shut it off and restarted with 2 miles remaining.

You forgot it warns at 50 miles without the yellow lamp. Then 25 miles which is when the yellow lamp comes on.

You can program it to warn at 75 miles with MyKey.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Max state of charge seems to be 72%.
I think 20% is set aside as functional reserve to take the battery life to it's 10 year warranty!😇. 0-20% reserve so it won't die. 20-30% to sit waiting for a while to start ice.. 30-40% to hold current from ice running. 40-72% for regenerating braking and any surplus from ice, 72-80% reserved for emergency Regen braking if HVB IS AT 72% computer needs storage to maximize stopping without locking wheels and not being able to control vehicle direction. And of course 80-100% for 10 year expected storage degradation. The HVB has a date installed or made and the ranges can be adjusted over the time the battery is installed. It may work fine at 12 years or more but mpg may deteriorate several percentages. I will just say 40mpg vs 42.5 mpg is not worth the cost to replace battery.
Sponsored