First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can I safely use 88 octane gas in my Maverick Hybrid? Often have lower prices for the E88 gas in my local area. Will using iteffect my hybrid engine?
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Um, there is no such thing as 88 octane or E88. There is 87 octane which is regular gas and fine .
There is E85 which is 85% alcohol and used ONLY in flex fuel vehicles and is NOT ok to use.

I strongly suggest you both read your owner's manual in detail and spend some time on wikipedia or something educating yourself about gasoline.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unleaded 88 is E15. 15% Ethanol
What the manual says:

"Can I put E15 or E85 in my vehicle, and
how will it affect my fuel economy?

Your hybrid vehicle can use E15 (15%
ethanol, 85% gasoline) fuel, but you
may notice slightly reduced fuel
economy because ethanol contains
less energy per gallon than gasoline.
Your hybrid vehicle is not designed to
use E85 (85% ethanol)."

Some articles claim that the mileage difference between unleaded 87 (10% ethanol) and unleaded 88 (15% ethanol) is less than 2%

Last edited:

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Um, there is no such thing as 88 octane or E88. There is 87 octane which is regular gas and fine .
There is E85 which is 85% alcohol and used ONLY in flex fuel vehicles and is NOT ok to use.

I strongly suggest you both read your owner's manual in detail and spend some time on wikipedia or something educating yourself about gasoline.
If we would all just read the manual or use Wikipedia, we wouldn' need this forum and we wouldn't get flamed.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unleaded 88 is E15. 15% Ethanol
What the manual says:

Can I put E15 or E85 in my vehicle, and
how will it affect my fuel economy?

Your hybrid vehicle can use E15 (15%
ethanol, 85% gasoline) fuel, but you
may notice slightly reduced fuel
economy because ethanol contains
less energy per gallon than gasoline.
Your hybrid vehicle is not designed to
use E85 (85% ethanol).
Fine example of a helpful reply. Thanks to all who are here to help.
Take note, Decayed, as to how not to be sarcasdick.

Sponsored

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

unleaded 87 = 10% ethanol
unleaded 88 = 15% ethanol

I suggest you use Google

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

r/confidentlyincorrect

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Am waiting for those that live around 3500+ feet altitude with 86 octane pumps and those 5000+ feet 85 octane pumps to comment!🤩

Sponsored

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like it when I learn something new and I always do on this forum. I had to google it -

But what is it? And how do you know if that’s the right fuel for your car?​
Channel 11 news anchor Susan Koeppen looked into those answers.​
Unleaded 88 is a blend of 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol.​
That makes it more environmentally friendly than the more common 87 that you see at most gas stations.​
The Environmental Protection Agency says unleaded 88 can be used in cars made after 2001, light-duty trucks and medium-duty SUVs.​
E15 should not be used in motorcycles, heavy-duty trucks or non-traditional vehicles like snowmobiles or lawn mowers.​
Experts say unleaded 88 may get a slightly lower gas mileage, but for most drivers, it will not be noticeable in the short term.​

I've never seen a pump like you showed @TheWizziard! I must live a sheltered life...

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like it when I learn something new and I always do on this forum. I had to google it -

But what is it? And how do you know if that’s the right fuel for your car?​
Channel 11 news anchor Susan Koeppen looked into those answers.​
Unleaded 88 is a blend of 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol.​
That makes it more environmentally friendly than the more common 87 that you see at most gas stations.​
The Environmental Protection Agency says unleaded 88 can be used in cars made after 2001, light-duty trucks and medium-duty SUVs.​
E15 should not be used in motorcycles, heavy-duty trucks or non-traditional vehicles like snowmobiles or lawn mowers.​
Experts say unleaded 88 may get a slightly lower gas mileage, but for most drivers, it will not be noticeable in the short term.​

I've never seen a pump like you showed @TheWizziard! I must live a sheltered life...
I have never seen a pump like that either.
Decayed said we should use Wikipedia. So i did. :ROFLMAO:

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have learned so much on this forum, I did not know it (E15) was being marketed as 88 octane. I personally avoid ethanol fuels because fuel often sits in my vehicles for months before I fill again. I have four regular drivers most are pre 2000 vintage so ethanol is more prone to eat at them. It's easier just to use regular real gasoline than to try to keep track.

Last edited:

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have learned so much on this forum, I did not know it (E15) was being marketed as 88 octane. I personally avoid ethanol fuels because fuel often sits in my vehicles for months before I fill again. I have four regular drivers most are pre 2000 vintage so ethanol is more prone to eat at them. It's easier for just to use regular real gasoline than to try to keep track.
Ethanol is not your friend.
Some claim that makes it more environmentally friendly than the more common 87 but I don't think we should make fuel out of food.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
r/confidentlyincorrect
It's apparently a regional thing. No 88 octane around here. But the concern is his reference to E88 which does not exist. E is the prefix for ethanol fuel which the hybrid can not run on. OP's apparent confusion could result in him damaging his engine were he to somehow manage to put E85 in his vehicle.

You might enjoy snarking but I'd rather he didn't destroy his truck. Maybe you should spend more time snarking on reddit?
Sponsored