John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You did... You were supposed to use 88 octane lighter fluid, not 88% ethanol (E88)! No wonder the manual didn't burn right. Clearly you're not one of the firemen from Fahrenheit 451!

;)
Are you going to start a new thread with a list of errors in the manual?

Not surprising there are errors since it was printed before production started and written years before that by someone not closely tied to engineering. One thing I know from working for some of the world's largest manufacturers is: Writers are not engineers and engineers are not writers. (And the two never shall meet.)
Sponsored

RLader

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fine example of a helpful reply. Thanks to all who are here to help.
Take note, Decayed, as to how not to be sarcasdick.
I tried to read my manual but they won't send it till I get my Maverick. Appreciated the info on 88. Had not heard of it before.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

RLader

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Am waiting for those that live around 3500+ feet altitude with 86 octane pumps and those 5000+ feet 85 octane pumps to comment!🤩
Sunoco used to have (may still) pumps that you dialed the octane in. I believe all the way up to 102.

Sponsored

chuckles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, if you need some reading while all alone on that hill, you could read the manual, and then burn it in your fire to stay warm, while disregarding it and following the advice on here. ;)
Yes, and if you decide to venture off of this hill without your manual, this may be a more helpful guide.

Ford Maverick 88 Octane Gas in Maverick Hybrid? 1670474047217

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sunoco used to have (may still) pumps that you dialed the octane in. I believe all the way up to 102.
Sunoco sold stripes to 7 11 and some of other brand names and retained some stations under Sunoco name. Generally do not go into Sunoco brand stations.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the technical service manual it describes how the Maverick senses and adjusts to various ethanol blends. Most people will agree the "recommended and approved" blends of ethanol range from 0% to 15%.

That said, while neither recommended, nor approved, the technical service manual states the fuel injectors have ability to deliver up to 25% extra fuel per pulse before setting a trouble code, which implies (and implies does not equal "recommended or approved") the Maverick is technologically capable of self-tuning for ethanol blends up to 70%. Say if someone "accidentally" put E85 in their tank once, with 2-3 gallons of gas still in there, you'd have about E70.
You will get through it just fine without a trip to the dealer.

fuelinggood

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape PHEV, 2019 Chevy 3500HD
Engine
Undecided
Um, there is no such thing as 88 octane or E88. There is 87 octane which is regular gas and fine .
There is E85 which is 85% alcohol and used ONLY in flex fuel vehicles and is NOT ok to use.

I strongly suggest you both read your owner's manual in detail and spend some time on wikipedia or something educating yourself about gasoline.
Thought a visual might help the nonbelievers. Approved for all vehicles 2001 & newer, along with all flex fuel vehicles (FFVs). Been available since July 2012, and now has grown to 31 states.

Ford Maverick 88 Octane Gas in Maverick Hybrid? Maverik Eco 88

Sponsored

AHarris67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 EB 2.5 XLT 302A, 2004 Chevy 1500HD 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Um, there is no such thing as 88 octane or E88. There is 87 octane which is regular gas and fine .
There is E85 which is 85% alcohol and used ONLY in flex fuel vehicles and is NOT ok to use.

I strongly suggest you both read your owner's manual in detail and spend some time on wikipedia or something educating yourself about gasoline.
Unleaded 88 (15% ethanol) is all over the place here in WI and Upper Michigan especially at every Kwik Trip.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought it was so weird to see two different options (and prices) of the same octane when I was driving from Utah to South Carolina. I think it was Nebraska or somewhere around there.

And I think one was just way more ethanol (and cheaper). We were definitely in corn country!

(where do they get the ethanol the rest of the year though???????????????)
(((((Prime opportunity for some tinfoil hat work there!)))))

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ethanol is ok.
Not fantastic.
Not horrible.

It is made in the USA.
It does create US jobs.
You can't ship the manufacturing of it over seas.
Wars are not fought over it.
Guns and warships are not used to defend it.
It does make the petroleum supply last longer. But just a little bit longer. A little bit may mean a couple or a few decades longer. Yes, some petroleum is used to make it, and harvest corn for it. But the same can be said for drilling oil, pumping oil, transporting oil, and refining oil.
It takes 2 gallons of petroleum to get one gallon in your gas tank. People don't realize this.
To make 1 gallon of ethanol, from field to tank takes about 0.7 gallons of petroleum.

Yes, the ethanol burned pushes you fewer miles down the road by 35%.
So you consume more.
I'm fine with that.
It still beats gasoline at gross consumption per mile.

Ethanol is solar power for your car.
Sure it is.

Sunlight grows corn this year (removing CO2 this year as well).
Distilleries convert 70% of the corn kernels (none of the leafy and woody parts of the plant) to liquid fuel this year. You can burn it this year. Ethanol is a form of solar battery. So is coal. But burning coal releases million of years of sequestered carbon, and puts none back in the ground.

Ethanol is net carbon negative, because a small fraction of the plant matter carbon grown in the summer is returned to the atmosphere when you burn it. Imagine what a field of Iowa or Indiana corn looks like. Only the kernels and then, only 70% of the kernels convert to fuel. Only the starch. 30% of the kernels by weight, not by count, all the proteins, fats, and fibers go into food stocks.

Have you heard the phrase "the planet is carbohydrate rich and protein poor"?

Ethanol removes zero protein and fat from the food chain. Ethanol comes from sugar. As in "High Fructose Corn Syrup". We had so much SURPLUS of high fructose corn syrup we invented uses for it. Such as soft drinks and almost any sweetened food that has led to obesity.

Where does a surplus of high fructose corn syrup serve society better? In sugary soft drinks and candy? Or as a liquid transportation fuel!?

Ethanol is not a miracle. Not at all.
But it's OK for your car and truck.
And it's a little good for the planet.
Or at least a little less bad than pure gasoline. I didn't even bring up the emissions benefits.

Last edited:

Jimmyb2

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Engine
Undecided
Am waiting for those that live around 3500+ feet altitude with 86 octane pumps and those 5000+ feet 85 octane pumps to comment!🤩
Yeah. Pumped the 85 in my Hyundai Accent ( in Wyoming) because it said Regular. After check engine light came on went straight to a Hyundai dealer.

Said they don't like 85, reset light and did next fill up go premium.

nikorasu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Soul EV, 2022 Maverick Lariat First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unleaded 88 (15% ethanol) is all over the place here in WI and Upper Michigan especially at every Kwik Trip.

KT went all in on E15/88. They built their own ethanol splash rack in Madison.

By splash I mean they go to the Flint Hills or US Oil terminal and get however many gallons of base fuel, then drive half a mile down the road to their rack and splash in 10% or 15% ethanol into the tanker compartment. Apparently it was cheaper to buy the ethanol in bulk and splash it themselves.
Sponsored