Sponsored

Hitch receiver added as an accessory; what am I getting?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a car currently manufactured for general population use that does not have AC? I think it's safe to say that if only AC or a hitch receiver could be included equipment on a base model, the overwhelming majority of people would prefer AC...FWIW, I'm also a weirdo who virtually never uses AC and would prefer the hitch receiver.
IF entry level price is the most important thing they could drop the doors for another $1k reduction and someone would buy it maybe because they want to be able to jump out or carry more weight in the bed?
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IF entry level price is the most important thing they could drop the doors for another $1k reduction and someone would buy it maybe because they want to be able to jump out or carry more weight in the bed?
If you would take the time to do just a little research rather than posting absolutely ridiculous statements like “why didn’t Ford delete the doors” you would understand that Ford wanted to be able to offer a widely useful, user-friendly, utilitarian truck with a $19,xxx starting price point. They spent thousands of hours Researching demographics and what would provide the target audience the most bang for the buck at that base MSRP. The receiver hitch did not make the cut, but Ford did their buyers a great service by offering it as a stand-alone option and only $100. A 2” receiver and associated wiring, installed, for $100 is the buy of the century.

Last edited:

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone. I don't care who you are. Buy the hitch for $100. The aftermarket cost if you ever want to pull ANYTHING or ridiculous and will never be as good. You get a wiring harness built into the truck. Any aftermarket one will require you to splice into the wiring yourself which it prone to trouble later.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you would take the time to do just a little research rather than posting absolutely ridiculous statements like “why didn’t Ford delete the doors” you would understand that Ford wanted to be able to offer a widely useful, user-friendly, utilitarian truck with a $19,xxx starting price point. They spent thousands of hours Researching demographics and what would provide the target audience the most bang for the buck at that base MSRP. The receiver hitch did not make the cut, but Ford did their buyers a great service by offering it as a stand-alone option and only $100. A 2” receiver and associated wiring, installed, for $100 is the buy of the century.

Your sarcasm detector clearly isn't working.

OP
OP
Dudley

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because the Maverick was designed and built to meet the original ~$20k base price point, and shavings make a pile.

plain and simple: a 2.0/2.4 engine in a baby pickup built on a semi passenger chassis is NOT meant to tow 7 pin stuff, so no, don't try! You want to do that? Don't get a Maverick!

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
plain and simple: a 2.0/2.4 engine in a baby pickup built on a semi passenger chassis is NOT meant to tow 7 pin stuff, so no, don't try! You want to do that? Don't get a Maverick!
So is your assertion that the 4k# tow limit (of so equipped Mavericks) is a lie? A number of states require trailer brakes below 4k or even 3k and a 7-pin hookup facilitates greater control for that.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would be dumb to order without a hitch for $100...which is a royal pain to add an aftermarket hitch and wiring. I have seen one Maverick without a hitch and the rear bumper is one solid across piece, and I admit it was a cleaner look and you could have a centered license plate....but the need for a bike rack, cargo box, even for once a year, but mostly for resale value...the OEM hitch is integrated with the body frame...where the aftermarket is more of a conventional gerryrig....probably not nearly as strong.

Last edited:

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would be dumb to order without a hitch for $100...which is a royal paint to add an aftermarket hitch and wiring. I have seen one Maverick without a hitch and the rear bumper is one solid across piece, and I admit it was a cleaner look and you could have a center license plate....but the need for a bike rack, cargo box, or once a year, but mostly for resale value...
Resale would be my primary reason a hitch for a $100 would pay it back. But you never know when pulling a trailer might come up. Such as a uhaul, or like you said just an extender to haul a Rubbermaid tote or something.

Plus when you have it you might look for times to make use of it. I did. And it's been great pulling around my little 5x8 trailer I bought for $600 used that weighs about 500 pounds. Come in handy so much.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I added it to the order for one reason. I will never tow with the hitch but just the other day I used the hitch with a ring and strap to pull two dead shrubs out of the ground and to steady a 40-foot tree while I cut it down. Also, living in the northeast we get snow and sometimes cars and trucks slide into a snowbank or ditch. The last thing you want is the tow truck driver or some good Samaritan pulling your vehicle out by the spare tire or rear axle.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWIW I recently custom ordered a utility trailer with electric brakes on the single axle. When discussing details of the build I asked if it would come with a 4 pin flat connector or 7 pin round, he said if you have electric brakes you get the 7 pin. Makes total sense.

So I'm pretty sure Ford wants you to have only the 4 pin to limit your towing ability consistent with 2k limit on non AWD, 4k tow equipped Mavericks.
I see it as Ford is restricting me from charging a battery or powering a cooler or putting brakes on a 2k trailer. No real problem 7 pin can be done with after market wiring (I wouldn't mind the rest of 4k pkg as the price of it is great even not ever pulling over 2k trailer).

OP
OP
Dudley

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if the primary purpose is entry price why is heater without cooling not on entry level or even make heat an add on. Then they could price xl at $1699 and offer xl lux add on or maybe heat, cooling, hitch, cruise, active X seats, etc as separate add-ons! In any case everyone has their own idea of what a minimum configuration is and what's missing including the max optioned lariat. Maybe they could produce 80% in 10 take it or leave it configurations and make special runs on one day a week for the balance 20%.
My 87 bare bones 4x2 short bed Jeep Comanche (streetjeep) with standard 4cyl and 4 speed had in the place of AC manual not power windows and a slider back window for air flow and in the place of P.S. arm strong steering. Wish I could have afforded to stop it from finally rusting away due to salt and then have put that 300 hp chevy 327 in it as I hoped to do. Would have added PS and AC.
But, don't think too many people would buy such rigs today. Fords "bare bones" XL (ordinary steel wheels and no cruise nor power outside mirrors) is about as far and they can go any more.
Even standard manual windows have been a thing of the past for a long time.
Sponsored