Sponsored

Flat towing the Maverick?

Jim_1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius, Winnebago Vista LX
I'm looking at the Maverick as a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. Has anyone seen any information on flat-towing the Maverick? If so, are there any special equipment options that are required? (Engine, transmission,...)
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not the hybrid with CVT (unless ECVT is different) as it would damage the transmission.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not seeing Sway Control on any spec sheets. It's standard on Ranger, F-150. I'm getting 4k tow package on my XL 2.0 AWD and have a similar sized camping trailer as the 1 shown in promos. Wondering if there is/will be sway control offered? I have a weight distribution hitch that has a mechanical sway unit with it I can use, but don't need to do that using our F-150 and would prefer not to on my new Maverick if possible...

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux!!!, E450 Lazy Daze Motorhome
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid IS flat towable per Ford.

Ford Maverick Flat towing the Maverick? 2022MY_RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_Maverick-page-001

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not the hybrid with CVT (unless ECVT is different) as it would damage the transmission.
Wrong, hybrid yes, 2.0 Ecoboost no. A hybrid CVT is different than a gas only CVT.
Ford Maverick Flat towing the Maverick? 140A64C1-CE75-4F66-8DAC-21373FB5D371

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have absolutely no clue about flat towing, but I’m just curious wouldn’t a dolly on the front wheels be better and safer generally?

For example I’m thinking since the rear wheels are completely free-rolling you don’t run the risk of damaging things, you may save mileage on the odometer, put less wear and tear on your FWD drivetrain and transmission, and potentially save fuel since the dolly’s wheels should offer less rolling resistance (they don’t have to worry about passenger comfort or looks).

Even when you do flat tow the hybrid you have to perform certain special maintenance steps as outlined in the guide.

OP
OP

Jim_1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius, Winnebago Vista LX
I have absolutely no clue about flat towing, but I’m just curious wouldn’t a dolly on the front wheels be better and safer generally?

For example I’m thinking since the rear wheels are completely free-rolling you don’t run the risk of damaging things, you may save mileage on the odometer, put less wear and tear on your FWD drivetrain and transmission, and potentially save fuel since the dolly’s wheels should offer less rolling resistance (they don’t have to worry about passenger comfort or looks).

Even when you do flat tow the hybrid you have to perform certain special maintenance steps as outlined in the guide.

Good points.
We're currently using a dolly for our toad and we're looking to change to the Maverick because the process for connecting the tow bar is so much easier than loading the car onto the dolly and then getting down on hands and knees to hookup and/or disconnect safety chains and tire tie down straps.

Sponsored

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EVERYTHING I've seen about towing a Hybrid says NO. The main reason for not towing behind an RV is the Hybrid battery will continue to charge until it explodes. So IF you're getting a Hybrid, you can ONLY flat bed tow it.

If the 2.0 Ecoboost then ONLY the FWD can be towed. The AWD to the best of my knowledge cannot be towed behind an RV either. I remember that from owning my Subaru.
This is not true, the Hybrid Maverick can be flat-towed just fine. The HV regenerative system is not active while the vehicle is off and being towed (this is, however, something Ford is studying for future products - flat towing an EV and charging the battery while you go).

The issue with flat towing the 2.0L w/ 8F transmission or AWD is that certain bearing surfaces are not lubricated while the vehicle is off and moving, which will lead to premature wear and tear.

To sum up RV towing:
Hybrid = 4 wheels down
2.0L FWD = rear wheels down only, must have a dolly for front wheels
2.0L AWD = NO wheels down, flat bed/trailer tow ONLY.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is not true, the Hybrid Maverick can be flat-towed just fine.
You beat me to it.

More knee jerk replies that are MISinformed.

Ford clearly states in the notes of their doc that the customer must follow the procedure for putting the Hybrid into towed neutral. To me, that sounds exactly what other flat tow & TOAD vehicle owners must do.

I plan on flat towing the Hybrid behind our RV. No dolly.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You beat me to it.

More knee jerk replies that are MISinformed.

Ford clearly states in the notes of their doc that the customer must follow the procedure for putting the Hybrid into towed neutral. To me, that sounds exactly what other flat tow & TOAD vehicle owners must do.

I plan on flat towing the Hybrid behind our RV. No dolly.
I have this plan as well.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Alrighty then. This will be my FIRST Ford Hybrid. The other Hybrids I've owned there was no "towed neutral" so this is foreign to me. As for the Subaru AWD, it clearly states in the Owners Manual trailer tow only.

I'll just keep my feet on the floor so my "Knee's won't Jerk" and run the risk of MISinforming others. Have a nice day! ;)

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alrighty then. This will be my FIRST Ford Hybrid. The other Hybrids I've owned there was no "towed neutral" so this is foreign to me. As for the Subaru AWD, it clearly states in the Owners Manual trailer tow only.

I'll just keep my feet on the floor so my "Knee's won't Jerk" and run the risk of MISinforming others. Have a nice day! ;)
We're all on the same side here :D Just want to be sure potential owners have the right information as to their truck's capabilities. Very happy to hear you'll be joining the Ford family and I hope you really enjoy this new Hybrid!! I have my eye on a Maverick build the exact same as yours.
Sponsored