First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum, Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question- when starting the engine every 6 hours and/or daily, if you start the engine and it is in electric mode, does the count as”running” the engine?
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question- when starting the engine every 6 hours and/or daily, if you start the engine and it is in electric mode, does the count as”running” the engine?
Maybe, if you are asked to put it in tow/haul the ICE will definitely start, I believe.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say "NO". I would guess you want the ICE running so the 12v battery stays charged, maybe more reasons.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say "NO". I would guess you want the ICE running so the 12v battery stays charged, maybe more reasons.
Yes, since you shift into drive and then reverse with your foot on the brake it gets fresh fluid flowing in the eCVT. It is not about getting the combus engine fluids moving as nothing in the engine moves when in tow mode.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lets make sure we are talking about the same thing here. I'm reading mixed messages.

#1 reason to START the ENGINE.... the gasoline burning engine, is to recharge the batteries. The engine spins the generator. The generator charges the HV battery. The HV battery charges the 12 v battery.

#2 reason is you NEED to keep the truck computers from "timing out". Remember; as a safety feature, this truck will automatically shift to Park if you forget to do it. You must put the truck in a special Neutral Tow mode.
I have never tried it. But Neutral Tow mode may need to be "reset" every so often.

#3 reason probably, but I'm still researching, probably is to lubricate parts.

But #1 is to recharge batteries. The Maverick is using power while you tow it behind. You need to restore that battery power by burning some gas every 6 hours. I've heard of persons going 8 hours.

Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Towing instructions are on Page 287 and 288 of your manual. It is ust like my C-Max hybrid.

The only thing that really isn't covered is when it says to run the engine for a few minutes at the beginning of the tow or after 6 hours, all you need to do if the ICE doesn't start up by itself, is to press on the fuel pedal a bit. That will start it up.

Jfrinehart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim and Frances
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, for those who have done it, when towing in neutral tow mode, running the engine every 6 hours fully recharges the 12 volt battery? I'd better get the book out to see if it indicates how long to let it run.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, for those who have done it, when towing in neutral tow mode, running the engine every 6 hours fully recharges the 12 volt battery? I'd better get the book out to see if it indicates how long to let it run.
In the hybrid when you put truck into "ready to drive" the charging of the 12v battery is initiated with the HVB battery furnishing current to through the dc/dc converter. When the HVB SOC drops to state (30%?) the ice will come on and charge the HVB (40%?) and that cycle will repeat. Regen braking will go into HVB up to SOC (70%?) after which engine braking starts to occur. Some HVB capacity needs to be available to help balance electrical loads and efficiently utilize any extra revolutions of ice and most likely for emergency Regen braking for hydraulic assistance. In any case it appears to me that 15 minutes in my 2 hybrids will raise 12v battery 0.3-0.5 volts and ice will come on at least once maybe three times with 12v charging occuring whether ice is running or not. I am not concerned that 12v is seldom over 12.6v. I have seen 12.8v and trust that BMS will 100% charge 12v periodically (at least monthly but ?) to keep 12v healthy. whatever the program calls for. Constantly striving striving for 100% in 12v takes a lot of recharging time which in short drives be hard to accomplish.

Jfrinehart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim and Frances
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the response. I'll have to study that one but it appears that while we are towing it, we need to make sure we started up every 6 hours and let it run for approximately 15 minutes or so?

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My C-Max hybrid has the same requirement to be run daily when towing. No, "electric" doesn't count. In the manual it instructs you to press on the gas pedal to get the ICE to start. I've done it many times and it works just fine on my 2017 C-Max. I tow it and have towed a 2013 C-Max as well. The easy towing is why I have my Maverick on order to replace the C-Max.

Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep, just mash the throttle to the floor quickly if your ICE isn't running with you "start" it. It won't usually run long....so I would mash the throttle again. I usually do that every time I stop. I have gone more than 6 hours before stopping. I also went over 70 mph on occasion. Cmax never missed a beat....except it would still discharge the LV battery. So I wired a 12v lead from coach battery to Cmax battery. 7 pin connector has the leads to do that. End of that problem.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You not going to charge any battery in a few minutes. I would suspect the purpose is to circulate transmission fluid through the CVT. And that is the reason for cycling through the gears.

swtiming8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lets make sure we are talking about the same thing here. I'm reading mixed messages.

#1 reason to START the ENGINE.... the gasoline burning engine, is to recharge the batteries. The engine spins the generator. The generator charges the HV battery. The HV battery charges the 12 v battery.

#2 reason is you NEED to keep the truck computers from "timing out". Remember; as a safety feature, this truck will automatically shift to Park if you forget to do it. You must put the truck in a special Neutral Tow mode.
I have never tried it. But Neutral Tow mode may need to be "reset" every so often.

#3 reason probably, but I'm still researching, probably is to lubricate parts.

But #1 is to recharge batteries. The Maverick is using power while you tow it behind. You need to restore that battery power by burning some gas every 6 hours. I've heard of persons going 8 hours.
Ok Ford this is why I posted a question to you a few weeks ago there are way too many responses to the Neutral Tow procedure some are way off base others not as much. You need to establish guidelines on what to do but more so post the reason we have to do what you are telling us to follow. Contacting the dealership is not a good response because you told me to contact them which I did and I’m still waiting for the service manager to research the questions and that was weeks ago. We’re asking for your help here and not a run around.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You not going to charge any battery in a few minutes. I would suspect the purpose is to circulate transmission fluid through the CVT. And that is the reason for cycling through the gears.
It is mostly to circulate oil. I agree.
I have more recently learned there is only engine powered oil pump.

However; the generator is huge by comparison and the battery HV pack is like a capacitor in many ways.

1 minute can equal 10% battery charge or ~ 100 watt hours of power.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not really complicated. Two of us here have thousands and thousands of miles flat towing Ford Hybrid vehicles. Both of us agree that you should mash the throttle pedal to at least get the ICE engine to run momentarily. Shift the shifter into reverse, drive, reverse, drive than back to park. Should take a minute or a bit longer ( just like Ford recommends). Then put it back into neutral tow and head on down the road.
What we both also agree on, and learned early on, is that your 12v battery WILL go dead on a longer trip. Be it that you plug in a brake system that runs off 12v or just that the Maverick uses a bit of power while in neutral tow.....your 12v battery will sooner or later be dead. Just a small jump pack will usually start it right up. But there is a way that you can fix the problem so you never deal with it again. Install a 12v charging wire from the coach to the Maverick jump post under the hood. Don't need to run an additional ground wire, just tap into the 7 pin round battery charging wire circuit. Done
Sponsored