Flat towing a Maverick?

Loball

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Hello all I am a new member and am expecting delivery of a hybrid XLT next week. I purchased this vehicle specifically because it can be flat towed behind my motorhome with all four wheels down (per the owners manual). Anybody out there with experience towing a Maverick?​
Sponsored

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello all I am a new member and am expecting delivery of a hybrid XLT next week. I purchased this vehicle specifically because it can be flat towed behind my motorhome with all four wheels down (per the owners manual). Anybody out there with experience towing a Maverick?​
Hello Low-ball, I haven't had a chance to tow my Maverick yet but it is set up and ready to go. I did practice switching it to Neutral Tow mode as described in the manual. Pretty easy. Can't wait to tow it behind the motorhome. I have the Roadmaster set up along with my old break buddy brake system that I still use on my GMC canyon. Which system are you using?

OP
OP

Loball

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
I'm planning on using the Roadmaster baseplate because I think the installation looks a lot cleaner than the Blue Ox version. Haven't decided on a brake system yet although I have experience with the stay and play Demco system and liked it ok. The only real issue seems to be the wiring harness. No one has made a harness specifically for the Maverick yet at least as far as I can tell. I'm to pick up the Maverick late next week and I guess I'll be making some decisions at that time. Seems a little weird to take a brand new vehicle and have it modified.. Up to this point I've always towed used jeep wranglers and didn't mind making modifications.

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm planning on using the Roadmaster baseplate because I think the installation looks a lot cleaner than the Blue Ox version. Haven't decided on a brake system yet although I have experience with the stay and play Demco system and liked it ok. The only real issue seems to be the wiring harness. No one has made a harness specifically for the Maverick yet at least as far as I can tell. I'm to pick up the Maverick late next week and I guess I'll be making some decisions at that time. Seems a little weird to take a brand new vehicle and have it modified.. Up to this point I've always towed used jeep wranglers and didn't mind making modifications.
Roadmaster sent me a universal diode wiring light kit along with the base plates. I have only plugged them in one time for testing. They worked. The Roadmaster requires that the lower shutters be cut off and that made me very hesitant but it's done now. I understand that the blue ox set does not interfere with the shutters at all. Here is a pic of my setup.

Ford Maverick Flat towing a Maverick? IMG_20220531_211925177

Ford Maverick Flat towing a Maverick? IMG_20220425_212314915

OP
OP

Loball

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Your install is very unobtrusive. We'll done! In the 3rd pic are you leaving the tow bar on the toad? I've never tried that and have always left it on the RV.

Sponsored

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s my setup with roadmaster baseplate, and I’m using a ready brute elite ll tow bar from NSA tow bars with brake assist.

Ford Maverick Flat towing a Maverick? 3DE22B21-6400-488E-A6E5-F32200D83E32

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi, just curious, when flat towing a Maverick, does mileage accrue on the Maverick?

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your install is very unobtrusive. We'll done! In the 3rd pic are you leaving the tow bar on the toad? I've never tried that and have always left it on the RV.
Thank you. This is an older style tow bar called stowmaster 5000, it is a folding one that stays on the road but also has a quick disconnect to easilily remove it while not in use.

Sponsored

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi, just curious, when flat towing a Maverick, does mileage accrue on the Maverick?

I haven't had an opportunity to tow it yet but I read on one of the towing threads that it does not. We shall see.

rpitts9

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2018 Sprinter LTV Class C and I just had my 2022 Hybrid Lariat set up to be towed. Previously had a Wrangler for toad and had all the Blue Ox equipment so I went with the Blue Ox Base Plate, Blue Ox Tow Bar and Patriot II braking system. After seeing someone else post a Roadmaster baseplate I must admit I like the looks of it a lot more than the Blue Ox. I just went with Blue Ox to save money. I took it out yesterday for test run behind my RV, went to CATS scale and Maverick weighed 3860 lbs compared to my Wrangler was 4780 lbs, so now I can take 900 lbs more stuff I don’t need ha. Easy set up for towing, I use portable trailer lights. Only issue I see is the Patriot II plugs into cigarette lighter and it only stays energized for 90 minutes after turning off accessories. Sorry for the long post, my first post on this forum.

rpitts9

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2018 Sprinter LTV Class C and I just had my 2022 Hybrid Lariat set up to be towed. Previously had a Wrangler for toad and had all the Blue Ox equipment so I went with the Blue Ox Base Plate, Blue Ox Tow Bar and Patriot II braking system. After seeing someone else post a Roadmaster baseplate I must admit I like the looks of it a lot more than the Blue Ox. I just went with Blue Ox to save money. I took it out yesterday for test run behind my RV, went to CATS scale and Maverick weighed 3860 lbs compared to my Wrangler was 4780 lbs, so now I can take 900 lbs more stuff I don’t need ha. Easy set up for towing, I use portable trailer lights. Only issue I see is the Patriot II plugs into cigarette lighter and it only stays energized for 90 minutes after turning off accessories. Sorry for the long post, my first post on this forum.

OP
OP

Loball

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Thanks for the good info. Did the odometer move while it was being towed?

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good 1st post, I've added "run mh power to Patriot" to my baseplate install list (y)
Sponsored