Sponsored

Dead Hybrid again, AFTER wire harness replacement!

Krrr

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From Tuesday in Service Dept.
I don't think the Service Deparartment can see if any "Deep Sleep" texts are sent. I was talking DSTexts and the tech is talking error codes. I believe he told me he had no idea of DStexts.
Sponsored

Jejust

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Trax, Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I picked up my truck yesterday afternoon. They checked the 12 volt battery and the associated harness issues. All checked good. Could not find a reason for the two dep sleep sessions. But they did do the TSB on the grabby brakes, which is a plus. I haven't needed to use the truck yet today, so we shall see later if she fires up...

Reactions: Dad

02ST

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Sport Trac
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So where is this parasitic loss on the 12v system coming from? And how in anyoneā€™s world is it ok to require a vehicle to be started every couple of weeks irregardless of its use? This is a 2022 vehicle for gawds sakeā€¦havent driven mine in 3 days, wont Pass or remote control start so I have to go outside and key start itā€¦.not a huge deal, but I live in cold Canada. I have suffered the dead battery syndrome twice, went to dealer with TSB in handā€¦..waste of timeā€¦.checked for connection tightness using ā€œwiggleā€ test and said they could not duplicate customers problem. Correct in saying to start a ā€deadā€ Maverick all mine needed was to see a voltage across the remote terminalsā€¦..next time it happens it will be getting towed/trailered to my local dealerā€¦I doubt they are smart enough to try and boost before loading lol
I agree with your sentiment. It would be interesting to see the parasitic current draw that happens when the vehicle is turned off. It seems a reasonable hypothesis that this parasitic current draw is the source of many of the non-start and battery failure issues. If you are not sure how to make this measurement I am willing to give you a hand. You would need a multimeter, but not an expensive one. A $20 or $30 model would be fine. The procedure would be to disconnect the battery terminal and insert the multimeter between the disconnected cable end and the battery terminal to monitor the current draw while the truck is off. There are other ways to make the measurement, but this way is easy and foolproof.

Unfortunately, the parasitic current draw could be periodic, say as modems and such turn on and off. It could also be a combination of constant and periodic, say if the head unit is defective, i.e. functional but just drawing too much current during the off state, and then in addition the modem comes on under firmware control. This means one needs to monitor the draw over a period of time. One way to do this would be to record a video of the meter reading. An easier but poorer solution would be to use the multimeters min/max function, which would tell the minimum and maximum current draw, but would not indicate how long the high/low current draw persisted. The ideal solution would be a logging current meter, and there are several available that connect via bluetooth to a phone where the data are recorded. I'm not sure the quality of these systems at this low price point, but am willing to do some research if you are interested in doing the testing on your truck.

I'm not sure the Amp-hour capacity of the battery in the hybrid, but around 40 Amp-hours seems a reasonable guess. A 0.15 Amp average current draw would deplete the battery by 70% in about 8 days, which I think might be very bad for the eventual health of the battery.
If we determine the parasitic current draw is a problem, the next step might be to start pulling fuses to disconnect systems and see when the current draw stops. Then a bandaid fix would be to leave out the fuse of the offending system.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2022 XLT hybrid did something similar a couple weeks ago. It was cold, about 0 F. The truck had sat overnight. I tried to remote start it in the morning using the key fob. No response. Probing the battery at the posts yielded 6 volts! Something had drawn the battery down that far. No, I didn't leave the dome light on. No accessories plugged in, no dash cam. Put a charger on it, and got it to start, but got a check engine light....."internal fault in a control module" and "fault in the high voltage system". The truck had been in deep sleep mode for a couple -3 weeks, but always started.

It's at the dealer now. So far, they say they've reset the BMS. I doubt that's a long term fix, as Iv'e done that procedure myself once to cure (temporarily) the deep sleep issue. Ford needs to address these electrical gremlins ASAP.
NOTE!!!: The BMS RESET is apparently just "rebooting" and turning it back on. Read ALL OF PAGES 311,312,AND THE FINISHING PARAGRAPH IN PAGE 313. Manual states that after changing battery or charging with external charger the BMS will require truck to be fully locked and off for eight (8) hours to relearn the soc of the battery!! Also note in the battery replacement paragraph before disconnecting the negative terminal the parking brake is to be set on and the ignition should be turned off and everything radio, seats, etc should be turned off. Then AFTER A MINIMUM OF TWO (2) MINUTES (Apparently to give computer time to save data, etc) the negative cable can be disconnected. I take the 8 hour fully locked procedure for BMS to relearn the soc of the battery most likely a necessary procedure that is probably not being done.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 12v was toast as well after wire harness. Now doest hold a charge over 11.7 and rests at 11.2 a whole volt lower than before the rash of dead batteries. Dealership does nothing the last 5 times I brought it in for low voltage on 12v. I am sure they updated software to fake low power shutoff and no longer send msg to my phone app.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
NOTE!!!: The BMS RESET is apparently just "rebooting" and turning it back on. Read ALL OF PAGES 311,312,AND THE FINISHING PARAGRAPH IN PAGE 313. Manual states that after changing battery or charging with external charger the BMS will require truck to be fully locked and off for eight (8) hours to relearn the soc of the battery!! Also note in the battery replacement paragraph before disconnecting the negative terminal the parking brake is to be set on and the ignition should be turned off and everything radio, seats, etc should be turned off. Then AFTER A MINIMUM OF TWO (2) MINUTES (Apparently to give computer time to save data, etc) the negative cable can be disconnected. I take the 8 hour fully locked procedure for BMS to relearn the soc of the battery most likely a necessary procedure that is probably not being done.
Thanks for making those of us who think the manual is a waste of time aware of this important procedure. More proof that reading the manual is a 'must-do' with this truck.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for making those of us who think the manual is a waste of time aware of this important procedure. More proof that reading the manual is a 'must-do' with this truck.
What is this manual that you speak of?

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What is this manual that you speak of?
The Book of Maverick . . . hidden away in the Valley of Glovebox.
Sorry, not to be flippant, but did you not get a manual with your truck? If not, there's an online version somewhere.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Book of Maverick . . . hidden away in the Valley of Glovebox.
Sorry, not to be flippant, but did you not get a manual with your truck? If not, there's an online version somewhere.
Wow, that's crazy talk. I've never heard of such a thing šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see any information on page 313 about the battery. That page is about headlights.

Ford Maverick Dead Hybrid again, AFTER wire harness replacement! Page 313.JPG

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see any information on page 313 about the battery. That page is about headlights.

Page 313.JPG
They must have reprinted manual. Mine came with truck made in Jan 2022 and delivered to me March 9, 2022. There wasn't much about ten lines on the top left of p313. I will look at the manual that came with my maverick I got in October 2022 when I get home. Maybe they have changed the 12v BMS SOFTWARE and hopefully automated the soc of 12v???
Edit to add: Both of my manuals are second printing "2022" Maverick Owners Manual".

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've mentioned in other threads that I reset the BMS on my Hybrid Jan. 16th and have Not gotten the Deep Sleep message since. Coincidence, I don't know.
I was getting the message regularly since purchase last March.

If it starts happening again I'll go to the dealer and request a new,different, battery that fixed the issue in other users Mav.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...weeks-solution-12v-battery-replacement.23132/

Last edited:

Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ā€˜11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reset worked for me for about two months then it came back. There is no true fix for this yet. My cabin lights never work anymore. It sucks

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
watch this video... it might be an issue
Wow! Terrific information here. If one is going to attempt this, my advice would be to have a friend record the take-apart to help avoid any errors in re-assembly.
Also, I love the voltage meter he used. I'll have to post that question on the YouTube site.
Thanks for finding this.
Sponsored