Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022, Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same dealer?
2 different dealers. However his dealer is completely clueless, my son found out from Ford and his dealer says they know nothing.
Sponsored

Dale Ducheneaux

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2023 Maverick XLT 9/16/22
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I swapped a priority 19 Hybrid Lariat lux for a priority 10 EB AWD lariat lux. I really hope this helps my odds significantly! I have an old beater that is living on borrowed time. Fingers crossed I hear somewhere within the next 3months.
Good Luck on that! You will go to the back of the line!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've asked my dealer about allocations. Their answer was 'FORD wouldn't have put your order at priority 2 if we didn't have an allocation for it.' - honestly, I didn't believe that when they told me, and @fordvideoguy confirmed that the statement was not necessarily true. Dealer is smallish, but has four locations in north central Ohio. I suspect that both regional and dealer allocations are a significant influencer on which orders get built. And I did get them to admit that they have one additional Maverick hybrid order that is about two weeks older than mine. They did not say that it had been scheduled for production either.

EDIT: I swear I remember reading on this forum that FORD was supposed to add an allocation back to the dealer for the cancelled with VIN # orders. So maybe the regional allocations are the main factor at this point.
Yes they did say they would add them back on and also said that they would be dispersed throughout the entire production schedule....not at first. = Cannot work in an extra allocation if production is maxed out!

tarpkir

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Itā€™s my theory that the 65/35 EB/HY build ratio, at this point, has almost nothing to do with constraints or capacity. When the Maverick was being planned, an accountant in the finance office arrived at this formula to hit their profit targets. The EB is a higher profit vehicle. At the time it was being planned, gas was cheap. Ford thought truck people wanted gas engines with real horse power and truck capability. The Hybrid was almost a novelty, introduced as a loss leader and a marketing ploy to garner headlines.

Fast forward a year and gas is now $5 a gallon. The hybrid has proven to be quite truck capable and orders for it went well past ā€˜the planā€™. It didnā€™t hurt that it was initially $1,000 less. And even though the price of gas has receded, the sting of high gas prices remains.

The hybrid in the Maverick is not terribly different from the configuration in the Escape. This is a system that has been used for over a decade now, so itā€™s not like Ford is stumbling with a brand new hybrid arrangement. There are some new pieces, like the hybrid battery; and that could be the issue, but I donā€™t think so.

The 65/35 ratio was published before the order banks opened for the 2023ā€™s. What if they had only received 40,000 total orders? The formula would limit Ford to building 14,000 hybrids. If the 40k orders reflected the actual hybrid orders received in September, that is almost the reverse of ā€˜the planā€™, 65%, would Ford build 26,000 hybrids, or would we all still be waiting because ā€˜somethingā€™ is constrained? Because the product manager has to meet his profit target.

Take a look at this theory in context of the XL build ratio of 15%. Is something constrained there? No, but the XL is not as profitable as the XLT or Lariat, so preference is given to those trim levels. So, even if XLā€™s were 65% of the orders, youā€™d still only get a 15% build rate.

Constraints; I donā€™t think so. Profit, yes.

barxlt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Next Ranger looks like a grown up Maverick. It might do better. Only reason I never seriously considered the current one is how it looks.
While my Escape was at the dealer for recall work and some paint problems they gave me a 4x4 22 Ranger as a loaner . It drove like a heavy truck .It had a nice interior but was much harder to get in and out of . The Maverick I test drove had a ride much better than my 2017 Escape and was very easy to get in and out of .

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last night, @fordvideoguy pointed out the SIBL capacity that has lead Ford to offer a great deal is identical to the same capacity level that led Ford to not be able to produce them last year. Something to consider if you are on the fence.

If you want a hybrid but have considered the jump to EB, here is what Tim suggested (barring allocation headless chicken):
  • If you are a cancelled VIN - do nothing. You already have the inside track.
  • If you are a rolled over MY22 and your dealer properly prioritized orders - do nothing. It might take time, but you should be scheduled before others at the same dealership.
  • If you are a new order with a 9/16 or 9/17 order date - consider doing nothing. Ford appears to have the capacity to build half of the hybrids. So, the first half put in should be built, right?
  • Otherwise, you might want to consider the jump to EB if you have to have a Maverick and aren't particular about the engine. Unlike the EB, where every month you aren't scheduled your odds go up, with the hybrid, the longer you go without being scheduled, the odds go down. If you are in this group and Ford starts running out of EB orders, you might want to jump.
Tim confirmed with his contacts that yes, Ford will ignore timestamp when scheduling the EB crossovers but he is skeptical. There has to be some form of tie-breaker for two identical orders at the same dealership with the same priority code and timestamp is that last piece.

Personally, I think Ford's point in saying that was to say if you jump to EB you won't wait behind all of the outstanding hybrids, not that you won't have to wait behind an identical EB order from 9/16. But that is speculation.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While my Escape was at the dealer for recall work and some paint problems they gave me a 4x4 22 Ranger as a loaner . It drove like a heavy truck .It had a nice interior but was much harder to get in and out of . The Maverick I test drove had a ride much better than my 2017 Escape and was very easy to get in and out of .
I've always noticed true 4x4 trucks will drive stiffer. As I've joked, the Maverick is an Escape with a truck bed, so I would expect it to drive more like an SUV than a truck. Ranger is getting an overhaul for MY24. It'll be interesting if Ford can remove some of the stiffness. But at the same time, it'll be an amusing offering as I suspect the MY24 Ranger will be the same size as my father's 1994 F-150.

Trucks just keep getting bigger.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If Ford needs to charge more for a product to meet it's goals, then it should adjust the pricing in accordance with actual product demand. Rather than deleting or limiting ( ie 36 percent, 15 percent) the product and losing a sale. IMO. Of course, the higher price may alter the demand. Classic supply/demand vs costs/profit argument. This should eliminate much of the chaos we're experiencing. The supply chain issues are a whole other issue here. But I think they have little to do with the final product mix limitations.

barxlt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've always noticed true 4x4 trucks will drive stiffer. As I've joked, the Maverick is an Escape with a truck bed, so I would expect it to drive more like an SUV than a truck. Ranger is getting an overhaul for MY24. It'll be interesting if Ford can remove some of the stiffness. But at the same time, it'll be an amusing offering as I suspect the MY24 Ranger will be the same size as my father's 1994 F-150.

Trucks just keep getting bigger.
The Maverick is definitely an Escape with an extra 1 1/2 foot added on . What sold me on it is the ability to carry a sheet of plywood . With my Escape I had to use racks to carry anything . The way I looked at it is the Escape has 2 feet of storage behind the back seats but you pick up storage underneath the Mavericks seat plus the 4 1/2 foot bed . As a retired carpenter it will be nice for projects and trips to HD.

ford5

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150; 2018 Murano
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think tarpkir is spot on. Ford can produce the Eco much cheaper than the hybrid so the profit is significantly higher. The only thing I'd add is that the accountant also factored in the number of hybrids needed to meet Ford's mileage requirements. I'm sure some hybrid components are in limited supply but I have no doubt that more hybrids could be built if Ford wanted to build them.

Sponsored

ford5

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150; 2018 Murano
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree that the Maverick rides like an SUV. The Ranger doesn't ride any better than my F150 4x4. The Ranger may be easier to maneuver and park than my F150 but it is not more comfortable with much less backseat room. Hopefully, the new design will improve the comfort level. I'm holding out, hoping my first-day-ordered Maverick hybrid gets built. If spring comes and no hybrid I may consider switching to Eco.

Larry the lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good Luck on that! You will go to the back of the line!
While you are not wrong. Moving from priority 19 to priority 10 is going to make a huge difference. Im basically skipping everyone on priority 19. add the ecoboost factor and i think i will be okay. im in the back of a shorter line thats actually moving instead of the front of a line that is currently standing still.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While you are not wrong. Moving from priority 19 to priority 10 is going to make a huge difference. Im basically skipping everyone on priority 19. add the ecoboost factor and i think i will be okay. im in the back of a shorter line thats actually moving instead of the front of a line that is currently standing still.
Is it better to be in the back of a shorter line that is moving or near the front of a longer line that isn't?
Ford Maverick Current Maverick Constraint List as of 12/19/22 giphy

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
today is 1st year Anniversary of owning my 2022 Mavā€¦.love the truck!

Larry the lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is it better to be in the back of a shorter line that is moving or near the front of a longer line that isn't?
giphy.gif
That how i view it.

i had a 50/50 shot of getting the hybrid. Maybe i was on the side with better possibility since I ordered it the 16th of September. but as a priority 19, when would that order be fulfilled, even if i was fulfilled. My dealer had 183 orders. Assuming they had 70% hybrid we are talking about a 128 orders and 55 orders of the EB. On top of that add priority 10. I think i ended up better than i was. I asked that exact question yesterday during Timā€˜s Livestream and he basically said the same thing. Im better off now just because of the priority 10. But only time will tell.
Sponsored