First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A couple of the first things I bought for my Maverick was the Ford bug shield for the hood and the Velocity Blue Touch-up paint. Chips happen.
Sponsored

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The car I traded in, at 11 years and 400k miles, looked like it could use PROACTIVE treatment. This maverick will be no different.
My initial build had the protective film option that I had removed thinking it might delay the build. I'm happy I got my Mav sooner than some but I kinda wish I kept the protective film option.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up my first paint chip. Not quite sure how I got it. Noticed it today after a touch free car wash when I was drying. I had hoped that the $ markup on Hot Pepper Red would maybe translate into more durable paint... but I don't think so.

I have no recollection of dinging it or anything like that. I suppose in theory it's possible I nicked it with my toolbox or snowboard... but no way I hit it that hard.

Fortunately I had my dealer include a bottle of touch up paint with the car. I put on a couple coats yesterday. Initial impression is that it touched up pretty well. I'll see how it does after fully drying. The real test will come after the first car wash.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that while this is the first chip it won't be the last, especially in a high use area like the tailgate.

Shame on Ford.

On the plus side, my truck is well on it's way to having 'character'. 😆

20220522_163135.jpg
A truck is just like cowboy boots. They look better with wear.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Will this be like the paint peal issue that Honda had and turned into recalls? Asking for a friend.

Sponsored

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone have one of those gauges to measure the actual paint thickness and compare to other vehicles?

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone have one of those gauges to measure the actual paint thickness and compare to other vehicles?
I would think any decent auto body shop would have one.

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
got my first rock chip dead center on the hood 5 days after I picked up the truck, gravel truck with uncovered load, yay wisconsin.
Need to touch it up before I ceramic coat this weekend.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For what purpose? It is what it is and it won't be changing. Based upon the pics people have posted so far of their paint chips, they look very similar to the ones on my Caddy, Hyundai, and Ford vehicles. Overall, all of those paint finishes have held up remarkably well over time. All auto paint will chip and windshields will crack if hit just right. (Grocery carts are the worst, as they leave a dent too ;))

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like primer being removed in the very bottom of the chipped area.
Abrasion damage along the leading edge to the left of the black line, abrasion to the underlying primer to the left of the yellow, and actual metal panel damage/displacement to the left of the green...

"The paint sucks'

Ford Maverick Confirmed: The Paint Sucks r5dZG7

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I have a coating thickness gauge and measured mostly 4.5-5.5 mils on my current Mav and nearly the same on a Kia Sportage that has very few chips for being 5 years old, even on the front bumper.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.