Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid Outstanding Fuel Economy for a Truck

WE WERE IMPRESSED with the Maverick when we tested the turbo version earlier this year. The Bronco Sportbased pickup is relatively inexpensive and delivers a more refi ned ride than traditional trucks, making it a pleasant daily driver. Even with its short, 4.5-foot bed, it’s great for weekend yard tasks, such as hauling bags of mulch or making runs to the dump. The hybrid version we tested this month can do those same basic workhorse tasks, but the powertrain—which combines a four-cylinder engine with electric drive and a continuously variable transmission—registered 37 mpg overall in our tests, making it far more efficient than any other pickup.

It’s not as quick as the turbo model, but the electric motor gives smooth and robust response at low speeds, and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations. The hybrid comes only with front-wheel drive, which might disqualify it as a practical choice in snowy regions. Towing is limited to 2,000 pounds, only half of what’s possible with the turbo engine, but its 1,500-pound payload capacity is stout. We were annoyed by the grabbiness of the hybrid’s brakes at low speeds, which can make it diffi cult to stop exactly where you want without adjusting your pressure on the pedal.

The hybrid is a bit quieter than the regular Maverick, thanks to its ability to drive under electric power at low speeds and because our tested Lariat trim’s acousticglass windshield cuts down on highway wind noise. FCW and AEB with pedestrian detection come standard, with BSW and RCTW being optional.

Ford Maverick Consumer Reports 2022 Maverick Hybrid Review & Ranking [September Issue] Screenshot 2022-09-18 213114

Ford Maverick Consumer Reports 2022 Maverick Hybrid Review & Ranking [September Issue] Screenshot 2022-09-18 212932

Ford Maverick Consumer Reports 2022 Maverick Hybrid Review & Ranking [September Issue] Screenshot 2022-09-18 212725

Ford Maverick Consumer Reports 2022 Maverick Hybrid Review & Ranking [September Issue] Screenshot 2022-09-18 214050
Sponsored

Last edited:

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
From the above pierce:

"and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations."

Can anyone with an EB comments on the annoying engine vibrations? Do you EB owner's find that to be true?

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the above pierce:

"and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations."

Can anyone with an EB comments on the annoying engine vibrations? Do you EB owner's find that to be true?
I've got the fx4 package and the tires seem louder/rougher than my passenger car tires, but i don't recall any engine vibrations really. The engine makes a lot of low sounding "racket" which is more noticable when first starting off since there's less 'road noise" to drown it out. I guess that's mostly due to the lack of sound deadening material and no engine cover under the hood. At speeds above 45 mph, the eb seems fairly quiet to me. Back to the "it's a $20k truck"😁

Last edited:

Xjeepguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XLT 4K FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When i have radio on or widows open (outside noises) i have to look at rpm gauge to determine if its running or if start stop feature shut it down. (Its so smooth)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That “ racket” is the direct injection sound and thats normal.
Yeah...I figured the noise was normal "engine sounds"😉. I've been thinking about getting an engine cover (heard the escape cover works and I have the threaded brass fittings to bolt it down to) to quite it down a bit, but most likely won't since the noise is not that problematic to my ears.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Hybrid Outstanding Fuel Economy for a Truck

WE WERE IMPRESSED with the Maverick when we tested the turbo version earlier this year. The Bronco Sportbased pickup is relatively inexpensive and delivers a more refi ned ride than traditional trucks, making it a pleasant daily driver. Even with its short, 4.5-foot bed, it’s great for weekend yard tasks, such as hauling bags of mulch or making runs to the dump. The hybrid version we tested this month can do those same basic workhorse tasks, but the powertrain—which combines a four-cylinder engine with electric drive and a continuously variable transmission—registered 37 mpg overall in our tests, making it far more efficient than any other pickup.

It’s not as quick as the turbo model, but the electric motor gives smooth and robust response at low speeds, and we like that the hybrid eliminates the turbo model’s annoying engine vibrations. The hybrid comes only with front-wheel drive, which might disqualify it as a practical choice in snowy regions. Towing is limited to 2,000 pounds, only half of what’s possible with the turbo engine, but its 1,500-pound payload capacity is stout. We were annoyed by the grabbiness of the hybrid’s brakes at low speeds, which can make it diffi cult to stop exactly where you want without adjusting your pressure on the pedal.

The hybrid is a bit quieter than the regular Maverick, thanks to its ability to drive under electric power at low speeds and because our tested Lariat trim’s acousticglass windshield cuts down on highway wind noise. FCW and AEB with pedestrian detection come standard, with BSW and RCTW being optional.

Screenshot 2022-09-18 213114.png

Screenshot 2022-09-18 212932.png

Screenshot 2022-09-18 212725.png

Screenshot 2022-09-18 214050.png
Thanks for posting!

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The price and the MGP on that Ridgeline are ridiculous in comparison to the Maverick. Seems cabin interior is more important to these clowns. Well at least we know they drove one, speaking of the grabby brakes on the hybrid.

Last edited:
Sponsored

bigbicep24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Ford Transit , 1965 Chevelle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 3900 miles on mine and it’s very quite.
No unusual noises. Can’t imagine any quieter.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow better CR review than I'd expect . I'm at 21,000 miles on my EB. I never feel any vibration. But I do hear that GDI clicking when I am outside the vehicle at idle. And when the hood is up, the engine does visibly vibrate more than I'd like. But it is not perceptible to me in the cabin whatsoever. I have a Lariat with acoustic glass.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder how badly they had to abuse the truck to get such poor mpg numbers? Seriously.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are the city and hwy mpg flipped?