2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed. 30k is the value limit on this. Not worth buying at over 30
Same here. Funny enough, when we bought our 2018 F-150 off the lot I knew I would be limited to using it for dump runs, bringing home long lumber, and towing the travel trailer, etc. It was too big and overkill for most my regular uses that I always used to have compact pickups for. Talking to sales rep on and off about possibilities of finding something lower to ground at bed and step in height, less nanny tech, and lower priced. Set a proposed budget of $30k max. Current version of Ranger not meeting those requirements, but rep suggested we might try ordering a "strippy" Ranger with the small stock steelie wheels and no lift packages like FX-4. Also had a friend with 10 year old Frontier that was more like what I was looking for. Put the idea on the back burner to wait for new design Frontier and Ranger to see if they worked for me... and then Maverick popped up and checked all the right boxes (y)

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I liked "porta a potty plastic".
I had a 2005 Honda Element that was 90% plastic for years. I appreciated that plastic when my son tossed a juice cup or some other unidentified flying object in the back. Different strokes for different folks. CR should know it ain't a Mercedes lol.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same here. Funny enough, when we bought our 2018 F-150 off the lot I knew I would be limited to using it for dump runs, bringing home long lumber, and towing the travel trailer, etc. It was too big and overkill for most my regular uses that I always used to have compact pickups for. Talking to sales rep on and off about possibilities of finding something lower to ground at bed and step in height, less nanny tech, and lower priced. Set a proposed budget of $30k max. Current version of Ranger not meeting those requirements, but rep suggested we might try ordering a "strippy" Ranger with the small stock steelie wheels and no lift packages like FX-4. Also had a friend with 10 year old Frontier that was more like what I was looking for. Put the idea on the back burner to wait for new design Frontier and Ranger to see if they worked for me... and then Maverick popped up and checked all the right boxes (y)
I’m only buying a maverick because of the utility. My daily is a 19 fusion and I make many trips from my house in Illinois to my house in Tennessee each year. It will be nice to be able to haul or tow. I have 6 vehicles at the moment. None of which can tow or haul. I’ve never been a pickup guy, couldn’t see the need but maverick changes that for me. It’s just a cheap fusion that also hauls a little and I can tow with

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2005 Honda Element that was 90% plastic for years. I appreciated that plastic when my son tossed a juice cup or some other unidentified flying object in the back. Different strokes for different folks. CR should know it ain't a Mercedes lol.
I loved my Element. Easy to clean, especially when frequently hauling dogs—just open the windows on the interstate!

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
So how long do you plan to drive it?
I plan on using it as my primary vehicle but may never see it because I ordered on 11/15. Did get confirmed. Don't get me wrong, I think its a good vehicle for this price point. There was a lot of cost cutting to keep it affordable but to have a hybrid power train is key. Depends on how I like it as to how long I keep it.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I plan on using it as my primary vehicle but may never see it because I ordered on 11/15. Did get confirmed. Don't get me wrong, I think its a good vehicle for this price point. There was a lot of cost cutting to keep it affordable but to have a hybrid power train is key. Depends on how I like it as to how long I keep it.
I understand. You may also find its perhaps better overall quality then you anticipate. Or not.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there another hybrid truck currently in production for $35k or less with magic button start, navigation, and a moonroof? If so, I know someone who would buy one tomorrow.

ThrowbacK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m happy I ordered a lariat. I wanted the extra creature comforts for a few more dollars.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m happy I ordered a lariat. I wanted the extra creature comforts for a few more dollars.
At the lariat price point the Santa Cruz,ridge line,Tacoma, and even ranger are the better buy. Of course the hybrid makes maverick more attractive for city dwellers but if you are going to be on the expressway or if you go eGoboost, all of the other choices are better at the over 30k point.

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

At the lariat price point the Santa Cruz,ridge line,Tacoma, and even ranger are the better buy. Of course the hybrid makes maverick more attractive for city dwellers but if you are going to be on the expressway or if you go eGoboost, all of the other choices are better at the over 30k point.
Please provide a link to a Santa Cruz (which is UGLY, BTW), Tacoma, Ridgeline or Ranger that you can purchase with comparable features to a Maverick Lariat for a comparable price. You are not going to get ANY of those vehicles with premium seating, heated seats and steeting wheel, all the various safety features, etc., for less than $10,000 more than the comparable Maverick.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Please provide a link to a Santa Cruz (which is UGLY, BTW), Tacoma, Ridgeline or Ranger that you can purchase with comparable features to a Maverick Lariat for a comparable price. You are not going to get ANY of those vehicles with premium seating, heated seats and steeting wheel, all the various safety features, etc., for less than $10,000 more than the comparable Maverick.
I’m not going to spend time searching. Your mind is made up already anyway.

I like the Santa Cruz styling better than maverick btw.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’m not going to spend time searching. Your mind is made up already anyway.

I like the Santa Cruz styling better than maverick btw.
It's not a matter of my mind being made up. Vehicle pricing is NOT a matter of opinion. You could buy a fully loaded Maverick Lariat for about $35,000 with all the bells and whistles. You MIGHT be able to buy a Ranger, Tacoma or Ridgeline for $35,000 (though I'll bet you'd have trouble getting a deal at that price in today's market). Even assuming you can find one of those trucks, it simply will not have all the features on the Maverick Lariat. That's not an opinion.

Now, if your argument is that a stripped down Ranger for $35,000 is a "better value" than a loaded Maverick Lariat for $35,000, then that's your opinion and I am sure you have your reasons. However, they truly would not be comparable vehicles at that price point, and for many customers, having all the creature comforts on a Maverick Lariat is more attractive than having a base model Ranger.

Also, FYI, I did not order a Lariat, so not arguing for it personally.

ThrowbacK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corolla SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sorry my friend, there is no way. Out of the vehicles you listed, I did try and get a tacoma because I've always wanted one and didn't want to wait for my maverick... but after being at the dealer for 2 hours... the only "comparable" model of the tacoma was at least 10,500k more.. not even including their "$5k" market adjustment.

My Lariat is 32k with all the features I want vs the 29K of the xlt I almost ordered. The additional 3k for the "extras" are way worth it to me. I plan to have this truck for 8+ years... I'd rather is be closer to today's technology.

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those trashing Consumer Reports for their coverage of the Suzuki, here’s the conclusion: https://www.consumerreports.org/law...onsumers-union-agree-on-dismissal-of-lawsuit/

Seems to me that it was a bunch of noise over nothing. Consumer Reports got it right that small SUVs tip over if driven aggressively. And Suzuki was right that this is normal for this segment, although they were one of the first vehicles to enter it.
As

As for their “preview” of the Maverick, I found it boring as hell. Seems to be a trendy format to have a few guys rambling on about stuff. I blame reality TV for this approach. I think that it is below CR to perpetuate this style of review.
There was a great parody song called “roll over Suzuki” which had 15 minutes of fame.
:)
Will be interested in CRs formal maverick road test when they finally do one. You have to read their reviews with and understanding of how they assess. They beat up body on frame trucks for quality of ride and gas mileage.., expect that and you won’t be surprised. Usually their reliability data is unbiased as well as general test data. The recent YouTube video was informal and admitted to expressing personal opinions in some areas like style. They will clean up in formal test.
Sponsored