First Name
Martt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick AWD, Jeep Deserthawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Consumer Reports embarrassing themselves.

I stopped paying them any attention back in the 90's because I didn't agree with anything they said.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Initial thoughts are the review was a bit harsh (oh boo-hoo, his skis had to go in bed diagonally). They note its lower price but then nitpick it when comparing it to vehicles that cost $10K+ or more.

I think their bias is influenced from constantly getting to drive the latest wiz-bang vehicles. And they lose touch with what vehicles actually cost to own (CR buys the vehicles, not the reviewers:; CR pays for gas, tires, etc). Bet at least one of the younger reviewers' personal vehicle is a family hand-me-down rust-bucket as he's still paying off his student loans.

Folks making $40K to $90K a year shouldn't be spending a years salary on a vehicle like a F-150, etc. Even if you finance or lease it...its just not financially prudent.

My concern on the Maverick is how well it's NVH/reliability will hold up after 3~5 years or longer. But I hope some of the "Built Ford Tough" engineering was used as they elongated the C2 platform.
Yes and most people don't understand the difference between what for arguments sake is the difference between a $300 vs. $315 monthly car payment other than they pay $15 more each month. They don't pay attention to the duration or interest rates or anything like that.

Koolstang

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang gt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These CR guys love to trash American made vehicles, why are they comparing the Maverick to a SUV? Or a Ridgeline?. Why can't that guy in the video at the end make his own decisions?

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is a small, inexpensive pickup truck. They knew that going in. They complained that it doesn’t feel sporty — refer back to “truck.” The bed and the back seat are small — refer back to “small.” The interior is kind of cheap looking — refer back to “inexpensive.”

I generally respect CU full tests because they are usually objective. This review is purely subjective. It’s three guys sitting around talking about a small, inexpensive pickup truck that they would never buy because it’s not what they want. Their opinions are worth what you might hear if they were three random guys sitting around at a McDonald’s drinking coffee and talking about what car (or truck) they don’t want.
I agree 100 percent with you. In the context of what consumer reports is all about this talking cars episode was too loose on the subjective opinion and had some bad objective. What did he mean by under-powered? Even the base model has a demonstrated / decent amount of capacity to carry weight. And the ecoboost can do 0-60 in 6 seconds. They can't be careless in handing out opinions given the magazines mission. Was also apparent they had done poor advance research. They should have known details regarding 2022 order cutoffs for hybrids and ecoboost and some basic performance numbers based on what ford is stating,,... caveat subject to their test to confirm and compare. Just a sloppy episode especially given the signicance of the Maverick in reintroducing compact pickups.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CR lost their credibility back when they trashed the samurai.
Yes they did and how they faked the the Suzuki to get it to roll. I owned one and it was a great offroader and I took it place a Jeep Sahara couldn't go and I never came close to making it roll...

Sponsored

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape; 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I'll take the reviews of ACTUAL OWNERS on this forum over a few CR test drivers any day of the week.

MaverickPR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok I’ll give you 31. It really pushes past the value point there for me.
Actually a fully loaded XLT 4x4 will push you close to 34k at MSRP without adding taxes. That’s a great value. I would think that less than 30k might get you the base XL 2 wheel drive hybrid including taxes. Paying 20k sticker for a Mav is a myth.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Fisheyelid

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think they were fair. This is a cheap vehicle. The average new car price lately well over $40k and the Maverick starts at less than half that. My Lariat Lux hybrid rings in at still just under $30k. It's a steal at these prices.

It's a lot less compelling of a vehicle once you cross into the $30,000s. Over $30k and I would buy something else.
Agreed. I priced mine out to $29k with AWD, FX4, 4k, and CP360. I priced out a similarly equiped Ranger at around $37k. If I got into the low to mid $30s, I might as well get a Ranger and get 7k towing capability and a bigger bed.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I'll take the reviews of ACTUAL OWNERS on this forum over a few CR test drivers any day of the week.
The fact is, you will get better information earlier from an active forum than most reviewers or articles, you just have to be aware enough to sift through the opinions and BS on a forum.

This CR video is nothing but a couple of chumps trashing something for clicks.

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
It's a cheaply made truck for a cheap price. They are right.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They lost their credibility with me decades ago. I dropped my magazine subscription back in the 80's as they became very political and it started flavoring their reviews.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those trashing Consumer Reports for their coverage of the Suzuki, here’s the conclusion: https://www.consumerreports.org/law...onsumers-union-agree-on-dismissal-of-lawsuit/

Seems to me that it was a bunch of noise over nothing. Consumer Reports got it right that small SUVs tip over if driven aggressively. And Suzuki was right that this is normal for this segment, although they were one of the first vehicles to enter it.
As

As for their “preview” of the Maverick, I found it boring as hell. Seems to be a trendy format to have a few guys rambling on about stuff. I blame reality TV for this approach. I think that it is below CR to perpetuate this style of review.
Sponsored