Sponsored

Why doesn't Ford just raise the MSRP to be close to the market price?

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So a Mexican worker is going to get a raise and make in a entire day what a US worker makes in an hour and that’s supposed to make that US worker more competitive? Lol an article like that could only be printed in a Union publication.
I think Jsus is right. The new raise, which is a 10% increase, will offset the overall gain GM made by building there. Sure, it's marginal, but as inflation continues and new contracts are voted on that marginal difference may become substantial in future years. Think long term. Its in the same vein as the loss of American textile manufacturing in the 1970's and 1980's and the subsequent loss of the new manufacturing locales in favor of even less expensive areas... from the US to the Domincan Republic then Hondouras then Turkey then China. Not quite but maybe similar.

I thought the article was written decently enough. I have no idea what the bias of the reporter or newspaper is but again thought it was decent. Opened my eyes when I read about the labor rate.
Sponsored

krg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know this will be a unpopular post, but let's face it, the demand will continue to outstrip supply at least for the hybrid. We have a situation
where a secondary market has emerged consisting of flippers who've been able to buy one or more mavericks and reselling which angers others who've been waiting years. Some will say this econo truck is not worth more and Ford can't price it similar to the Ranger. That doesn't matter imo because customers want the the Maverick. Ford for now has cornered the US small truck market and they could easily raise the hyrid by price 6K or more and their factories would still have all the orders they can produce.
if i didn't have to wait 6 months to sell i would have bought and sold both that i ordered that were delivered to the dealer

Midwest Jim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's no Fusion. There's no Focus. This is Ford's entry level vehicle. Even with a few compromises, it's a great value and draws people to the Brand. I thought Ford was nuts for dropping sedans. I was wrong. It was genius.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes. A co-worker of mine really liked the Ranger but he got a better deal on an F150.

Once you get away from a base model XL, the price of pickups is unreasonable. IMHO
I ordered an XL Maverick because I couldn't justify $2000+ extra when the only thing on the XLT I wanted was the aluminum wheels. And I didn't care for the lighter interior.

MY last new pickup, a 2013 F150 STX 5.0 which basically was an XL, but with the STX sport package. It gave a more sporty appearance, including the aluminum wheels. I paid $24K brand new in 2012 for it ($31K sticker) and traded it in for $17,500 6 years later. $6,500 loss for 6 years is very affordable. Had it been an upper trim level I would've lost $20K plus in that 6 years.

IF Ford offered an STX trim package with say the standard Bronco Sport 18" Outer Banks Black/machined aluminum wheels and a Tremor grille, I would've paid $1500 extra for that bit of sportiness. Over the steelies & base grille.

Sponsored

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know this will be a unpopular post, but let's face it, the demand will continue to outstrip supply at least for the hybrid. We have a situation
where a secondary market has emerged consisting of flippers who've been able to buy one or more mavericks and reselling which angers others who've been waiting years. Some will say this econo truck is not worth more and Ford can't price it similar to the Ranger. That doesn't matter imo because customers want the the Maverick. Ford for now has cornered the US small truck market and they could easily raise the hyrid by price 6K or more and their factories would still have all the orders they can produce.
Bad Idea. Take a deep breath and dream up something else.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Non of the competitors can match the mpg, and for a lot more money.
Hey I understand you've got a desire to pay more for a Maverick and are set on promoting the idea.. But there are criteria for selecting an automobile beyond 4 or 5 more miles per gallon saved and the getting the absolute cheapest truck out there. I appreciate your enthusiasm but you aren't talking to me into a Maverick with it's base price kicked up another $5K. Destroys the entire value proposition for me.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Rangers just went up about $5K in starting price.
I've run Z-plan numbers on '23 vs '24 with as close as I can get to the same equipment, and I'm not seeing more than a $1500 difference. The $5K is when you compare a '23 SuperCab to a (now base) '24SuperCrew,,,,

HRG

Quigon17

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Taurus X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Santa Cruz around me are well over $35,000 with crazy dealer add ons. I thought I liked it until i saw up close. Ugly!!!!! Warranty is only good point imho!
don't mind the styling except for the front grill, that's just ugly. It also seems more car like.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the pricing of the MY24 (recently posted), I think demand will go down. The Maverick is no longer a "hot buy" but now is a "good buy".

Sponsored

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree because I personally would have not paid a penny more for the Maverick. Many others I'm sure too. I was gonna pass on the order without the $2750 private order. I'm happy with my Subaru and it continues to run strong.

I think you'd be surprised how demand would greatly shrink for the Maverick (even the Hybrid) if the price were raised 20%-25% as you are suggesting. I do not "need" this vehicle. This is a new vehicle and I'm not "saving" jack shit just because my petrol bill is lower. Now that I got it for MSRP minus $2750 I'm holding it but I could have easily passed. There are many 1000's of Maverick owners who agree. It's easy to tell this Maverick is not built to the same quality spec as my 17 year old J VIN Subaru. Not even close.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well the OP of this thread said why dont they just raise the price. Well what do you know. They did for 2024. 1500 more for hybrid. For me it would take about three years to break even on gas savings at 3.5 a gallon. . Still might be worth it to me. BUT my 2023 will be built this month next week.

Kinda funny what the OP said and what did in fact happen.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I disagree because I personally would have not paid a penny more for the Maverick. Many others I'm sure too. I was gonna pass on the order without the $2750 private order. I'm happy with my Subaru and it continues to run strong.

I think you'd be surprised how demand would greatly shrink for the Maverick (even the Hybrid) if the price were raised 20%-25% as you are suggesting. I do not "need" this vehicle. This is a new vehicle and I'm not "saving" jack shit just because my petrol bill is lower. Now that I got it for MSRP minus $2750 I'm holding it but I could have easily passed. There are many 1000's of Maverick owners who agree. It's easy to tell this Maverick is not built to the same quality spec as my 17 year old J VIN Subaru. Not even close.

I have to be honest. At the new price, I wouldn't bat an eye at the Maverick.
🤣
Once some of these other trucklets are released from other manufactures. It's game on. I'm looking forward to seeing what Toyota comes out with.

I may order one of those in the distant future, if the prices stay realistic.

vRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
Based on what the Maverick is and what you get in terms of quality and features, I think that Ford have priced it correctly.

What Ford did not anticipate was this much demand for the Maverick, but I think there are two main reasons for it.

First, is having the Hybrid engine as standard. Had the Maverick only been available with the EcoBoost engine or if the Hybrid was $1500 to $2000 more from the beginning, then it would have been a different story.

For the people who are buying the Hybrid to save money on gas, there will be a price point where it does not make sense over the EcoBoost. Depending on the price difference and how much they drive, it could be several years before they save anything. Especially if they are paying dealer mark ups and high interest rates.

Second, is that there are plenty of people who placed multiple orders for the Maverick just to flip them. When people saw that Carvana and CarMax were paying way over MSRP a lot of them ordered multiple to try and make an easy profit. Hopefully when the used car price craziness dies down it will get rid of the flippers.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does it seriously take over 2 years to get this truck?
No it does not.

My ecoboost arrived in 8 months and I paid sticker price.
My MY22 Hybrid arrived in 4 months and I paid $446.15 under MSRP price.

Ordered 8/23/21, Scheduled 9/16, Built 11/29, Shipped 11/30, Delivered 12/13

Ford Maverick Why doesn't Ford just raise the MSRP to be close to the market price? Order Invoice Price.JPG
Sponsored