Sponsored

Why doesn't the seat recline all the way back??

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm personally not a fan of the system. I'd rather have it be individually adjustable from height.
Oh, I did NOT say I LIKE it that way... Just how it is. I'd rather have actual height adjustment, too. But somewhat to my surprise, I've managed to find a seating position that is pretty much perfect for me. Short drives, long trips, whatever - I'm amazed at how comfortable I am in this truck.

I suspect Ford saved a few $$ per vehicle using the cheaper seat mechanism. The Maverick was engineered to a price point, and as sales clearly indicate, I think Ford hit one out of the ballpark with what is still a (relatively) inexpensive truck.
Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The 10-way power seats not available on Maverick offer both a vertical adjustment on the seat base, as well as a tilt on the seat base. The 8-way power seats drop that tilt feature, so you just get height adjustment. Depending on the driver and their seating position, this may have the inside of the right knee at an uncomfortable angle on the front edge of the seat base.

The change is entirely a cost cutting move, though they may have some excuse as a "chip shortage" issue. 2020+ Escapes with the power seats used to only come 10-way, but for 2022, you had to go to the SEL trim and add the SEL Technology Package.
The highlighted portion of your reply is definitely not true on MY Hybrid Lariat First Edition... The 8-way seat has "tilt" but no true "height" adjustment, even though Ford refers to it as "height".... If you stand outside the truck, and "raise" or "lower" the seat, you can clearly see that the front mounting point does NOT move, and that the seat bottom "tilts" to change the height of the back portion of the seat only - thus it is actually a "tilt" adjustment rather than true "height" adjustment...

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My last three vehicles have not gone all the way back. No big deal.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

While this thread is about reclining seat problems, there is a number of us that expressed sleeping in truck. Anyone else thinking of removing passenger seat to fit a bed like platform? Been mulling over that idea. There is a Maverick owner here with a history of reworking the insides of a vehicle into micro-RVs. I post his videos here to spread his great insights.
Man, I sympathize with the OP, even though so sleeping in the car waiting for my workday to begin was never a consideration for me... My jobs have always allowed me to flex my workday as needed, so long as you were in the office during "prime time" - generally 9-4, though meetings could change that as well...

Where the possibility of sleeping in the truck comes into play for me is on longer trips. If I sense I'm becoming lethargic, and stopping for a brisk walk at a rest stop doesn't resolve it, I will try to take a cat-nap. I'm only 5'11" but I cannot even imagine managing to get comfortable in the 54.1" of hip-room the Maverick back seat provides - and dealing with the arm rests on the door, etc... The truck bed's only 0.3" longer, at 54.4", which would still have me cramped in the fetal position. No thanks!

Honestly, if I need more than just a cat-nap sitting in the seat, I would go snag a hotel room. Even a Motel 6 would beat trying to sleep in the cab - though perhaps far less "prestigious"... ;)

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My family almost never used hotels growing up. And we traveled all over Europe since my Dads side hustle was English language travel guide photography.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As far as hotel room vs sleep in car, that all depends on circumstances. Lots of people don't have money to go sleep in a hotel/motel during a trip, unless it was planned for.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, I get the economic impact... But a hotel room is a lot less expensive than a hospital room...

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I get the economic impact... But a hotel room is a lot less expensive than a hospital room...
Lol, we have some crazy car/van camping stories but I can’t recall any that ended up in the hospital ( well emergency wise ) there was an infected cut that was rinsed with water from spigot at a rural gas-station we got permission to camp a few days. It wasn’t treated well water.
I did get froze to the front window as a toddler so suspected of frost bite but all good, discolored skin faded after a day. I had the most awesome pad with great views til I got too heavy and the blanket hammock just tucked into trim across the front seats/dash gave way.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard to get bedbug issues in a car camping environment. Just saying, got some that hitched a ride back from a trip to an expensive hotel in Orlando. The cure after seeing a few was to wrap everything I could in black trash bags and leaving them in the car out in the open in direct Texas Sun got my home mattress to fit as well but just incase they where quicker then they appeared.

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Pound about 20 beers on the way, I bet you sleep real good.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alright, so last week I think I discovered my most hated thing about the Maverick. The stupid seat only reclines partially back. I've had times where I need to be somewhere extremely early in the morning and I cannot be late, so to beat traffic I would drive there at night and sleep there. My 2007 Edge's seat would recline all the way back until it hits the back seat so I can lie almost completely flat, but the seat in the Maverick only goes like halfway back. Why? Does it save them money somehow for it to not go all the way back? lol. Anyway, small rant. 😂
If the seat reclined all the way back the "driver is getting sleepy" detector could not see the drivers eyeballs and the air bags are also not designed for that.

Donald

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could be some new safety protocol then, to prevent someone from leaning to far back while driving. The passenger seat probably moves all the way back
I always said, they should put a switch in the seat so the car wouldn’t start if the seat was reclined back too far. Ridiculous how some people drive these days.

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a '23 now a '24 Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I will miss most is the ability to flip the passenger seat forward giving you a end table of sorts. I have this on my Saturn and it is great for setting up a small office or I can use it as an ottoman (from the back seat) to put my legs up on while I wait for a ferry etc.
Sponsored