Sponsored

What did YOU cross shop with the Maverick?

What did you (or will you) cross shop / compare with the Maverick?

• Total voters

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can’t believe Subaru hasn’t jumped all over this small Ute thing. Years ago I seriously considered their Ute except for the ground clearance. Can’t remember what it was called.
Baja?
Sponsored

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Prius. Obvious choice then was the Mav hybrid, but I ended up with the ecoboost only for AWD and 4k tow.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It can tow 2000lbs and the bed can haul 1500lbs (1,500-pound maximum payload capacity ) but not at the same time. The hybrid GCWR 6,010 lbs so the weight of the truck (~3,674 lbs), people, payload and hauled things can not be over that.

Steph
The 1500lbs includes the weight of anything in the cab too -- including the driver and any other passengers.

So my XLT Hybrid with Luxury package, 360, and a few other add ons has a capacity of 1482 lbs.

I weigh 300lbs. So I can then still put 1182 lbs of stuff in the truck.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
I've been searching for years for a pristine Yugo or SideKick but haven't had much luck so I ended up with a Maverick.
At least, you weren't searching for a pristine Trabant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant_601

The only reason I remember to this car is that I used to have one long, long time ego. In the winter, the heat in this car could not keep up in cold days, had to wear heavy gloves and coat...

Sponsored

Maverick#2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Pepper Red Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes sir, that's it. I had an early model silver WRX back then and really liked that car.
I had a 2004 red Baha for many years and loved the full back seat, truck bed, and 4 wheel drive. I called it my "wanna-be" truck because it was more of a car with a small truck bed. Like you said, ground clearance was an issue. I could and did get stuck in snow (>12 inches), even with the 4- wheel drive.

When I started looking for a vehicle that could take 2-weeks worth of camping stuff to Canada every year, I was hoping Subaru would resurrect the Baha but nothing anywhere similar was on their horizon. My hubby wanted to get a Ridgeline because it got such great ratings but it failed my #1 criteria: it had to fit in the garage. I never considered the Santa Cruz (just didn't like the look). The Maverick first got my attention when I heard the name because I was surprised Ford would reuse an old vehicle name (I had actually owned a 1970 Maverick Grabber, and so my club name). Driving past my local Ford dealer on October 27, 2021, they had an Area 51 Eco parked out front. Stopped in, looked it over, sat in it (they wouldn't let me actually drive it), and laid down my $100 deposit for a hybrid. After waiting 15 months to the day, I took delivery. Love the mileage, look, and feel of this truck!!!

Last edited:

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At least, you weren't searching for a pristine Trabant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant_601

The only reason I remember to this car is that I used to have one long, long time ego. In the winter, the heat in this car could not keep up in cold days, had to wear heavy gloves and coat...
Sounds like my 1960 VW Bug. And 36hp to boot!

dutchboy17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Henk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Hybrid Lux CP360 Hitch Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been driving a Tucson Hybrid a lot lately (not mine) and feel exactly the same way. If I hadn't found the Maverick I might have ended up settling for the touchscreen controls. Apart from that and the Tucson not being the Maverick, I really like it. I'm sure hoping the Maverick hybrid drives similarly.
I don't think the Maverick ride is quite as smooth or quiet as the Tucson, but it's close enough. The Tucson felt more powerful, but its mpg was actually kinda bad (and the Tucson forums are full of complaints about the mpg, so I don't think it was my driving style). Having physical controls on the Maverick? Near priceless.

FordHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We had a KIA Niro Hybrid and the Santa Cruz was out because there wasn't a hybrid option, otherwise we might have looked at it. Maverick Hybrid was the only option available then and it still is the only Hybrid option available. Dodge hasn't even hinted to a hybrid option on their projected Rampage. Ford hit it bullseye.

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm itching to know.
Toyota quit importing the PriusV but it was too wimpy, for my camper build, I've been impressed with the Maverick's performance on the lil east coast "Mountains", so I actually have not shopped any other vehicles with the Maverick, once I read about the 2000# towing rating and the 2.5 Liter engine mated to the impressive mileage, I knew I was hooked, we just logged 9000 miles on the Odo since 10-01-22, and anticipate 12,800 by the time we get back home. The Maverick is Awesome for the price point, now I want to try it on the fourteeners out west for some offgrid camping, high above the clouds.

Sponsored

ModernGrabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before I knew I needed a truck, I knew I wanted AWD and higher BHP than my current VW GTI
Originally was looking forward to the new (at the time) Bronco, but then got into woodworking and decided whatever I got needed to get 4x8 sheet goods home, so no Bronco.

Didn't really want to get a truck (generally too big for city livin', horrible MPG), then I found out about the Rivian R1T which seemed to check all the boxes for me - electric, relatively small, lots of neat features. Put in a reservation, but then a year later, after several trim levels and features were removed and price went up several times, finally decided it was not fiscally responsible to get one (especially after the wife saw the $$$ and gave a hard no).

Then I started looking at the mid-sized vehicles like the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger, etc - was thinking about going with a Colorado but then when researching the Ranger I discovered the Maverick, and my local dealership just happened to have a hybrid that someone abandoned so I stopped by and test drove it, and fell in love with it. Didn't end up getting that one because the Hybrid drive felt anemic and ended up ordering the EcoBoost, which I hope to have someday soon...

Still hope to move to electric one day, maybe an R2T or Maverick Lightning or other small-form-factor EV truck will be on the market in the next decade.

OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Still hope to move to electric one day, maybe an R2T or Maverick Lightning or other small-form-factor EV truck will be on the market in the next decade.
I was curious if anyone was looking at the R1T. It's a neat vehicle but since it can be priced as roughly "2 to 4 Mavericks" I guess I agree with you and your wife. Glad it's on the market though.

You might want to keep an ear to the ground for news from Scout Motors in the next few years. Sounds like their product line might hit your sweet spot.

Radman73

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We had planned on a full size Bronco but after driving my son's used 2022 Mav home it made we consider what I really wanted the Bronco for. Alternate to my wife's Acura for beach trips, going anywhere with snow, and the ability to do a bit of overlanding.

It hit me that the Maverick can do nearly everything I would do in the Bronco and save us 25-30k. All I had to do was let go of the looks of Bronco and it was pretty easy. If I'd bought the Bronco, it would have been ego talking. My ego isn't worth anything near 25-30k lol!

Money saved might go into putting a rebuilt Porsche 3.4 bored to 3.8 into my 99 Boxster :). That will be a fun car to drive.

Kramer OG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Hyb; 2013 Mazda 5; 2008 Smart - sold
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was looking at hybrids and electric vehicles generally and decided on a hybrid as the charger networks are poor especially as this would be the main car. Initially I considered a RAV4 hybrid but didn't find it compelling. When the Maverick was announced it was instantly the only thing I was considering. I wanted to test drive one before buying, but eventually came around to buying one sight unseen.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nothing. I don't cross shop much, I buy what I like, and usually only Fords. Ford has nothing else I wanted now.
Sponsored