Sponsored

What did YOU cross shop with the Maverick?

What did you (or will you) cross shop / compare with the Maverick?

• Total voters

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was planning on trying to find a base access cab Tacoma with the rear seats delete. Found out about the Maverick with better mpgs for the same price. Researched others but nothing came close.

Skifletch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Needs: Truck, $30k OTD price point, 4 actual doors, A/4WD. So it's either a Maverick, or a 2017 or older "midsize" truck. That's it. Santa Cruz WAY too expensive, same with anything "midsize" at all leading to really high mileage or old model year options. There really wasn't a choice that was even remotely close.

Sponsored

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Didn’t cross shop anything else because their is nothing else out there like it.
-Small, and no, a Taco is not small anymore.
- Hybrid= great MPG

If I were looking into a Bronco Sport I would have cross shopped. There are dozens of comparable vehicles for that.

The hybrid Maverick is in a class of one.

OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow - I really love hearing all these perspectives. Thank you and keep em coming!

Personally - I set out to find a capable vehicle with 4 doors, good gas mileage, and really good road visibility. Started looking at small SUVs and stumbled into Maverick territory I think when I read a "top X hybrids" article. So - I'm one of those that didn't start out as a truck person but once I found the Maverick nothing else seemed a better fit.

Now I can't help treating the Maverick like a case study in product development. I'm more intrigued with it every time I hear a new owner's story about product-market fit. Thanks for sharing.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Where's the "Nothing" option? 😉

In July 2021 when I placed my order, there was no vehicle that was as capable, as cheap to purchase, and as cheap to run. There still isn't.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When the Maverick test mules got spotted on the roads, my wife and I were looking at mid-size trucks. Before settling on that though, we'd been considering getting another small hatchback to just replace our Nissan Versa like a Kia Soul or something similar.

So we went from "Get another vehicle like the one we have" to "A truck would be way more useful for our needs" to "Oh, holy crap -- a small truck is coming? That'd be perfect. Let's wait for that to come out."

When the Santa Cruz got announced, I looked at that too -- and honestly, if the Maverick didn't come as a Hybrid I would have still considered it much more (I like the in-bed storage, and while a lot of people on this forum don't like the looks of it, I kinda do).

But the Maverick had a Hybrid.

And cost less.

And looked cooler.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Now I can't help treating the Maverick like a case study in product development. I'm more intrigued with it every time I hear a new owner's story about product-market fit. Thanks for sharing.
I'm a Product Manager and it's definitely been fun to understand their thinking/business plan.

They were able to tap in to these segments very well:

1. People looking for a truck whose needs were not met by the Ranger or F-150
2. People that had no idea they wanted a truck, but got one anyway because it was as cheap (or cheaper) than whatever else they were looking at, including SUVs and sedans

OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Where's the "Nothing" option? 😉

In July 2021 when I placed my order, there was no vehicle that was as capable, as cheap to purchase, and as cheap to run. There still isn't.
haha - yeah there seem to be a few people who knew how special this vehicle is right from the get-go. I... was not one of them. I had to spend some time doing my homework first. When I did though .... yeah - nothing really compares does it?

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2023 Subaru Forester BASE only, which is a dealer order. Simular price, simular value. Gave up AWD for more utility, more features. I stuck with my original Mav order.

Tterrag

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mav XLT Cyber BAP ECO (Shipped!)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When the Maverick was first announced, I was sad to see it was a unibody 4-door. Exactly what I did NOT want. Would we never get a truck like the original Ranger again? :)

But I watched videos and read reviews and, honestly, I hated the crappy gas mileage I was getting in my 06 Element.

Was interested in the Santa Cruz, but it cost more and didn't feel like a vehicle I could "make my own" like the Maverick with its customization angle.

So, AWD was a must, and so I got the ecoboost and I'm really happy. I would trade most of that back seat for a longer bed though :)
Sponsored