Sponsored

Welcome to my Maverick fuel tank recall nightmare.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
So, Mexican workers aren't "smart enough..."?

You're "just sayin" some racist/xenophobic bullshit, is what you're doing.
Apparently not smart enough to not drill into a fuel tank. And you are the judge and jury of the forum? I think not. Your the guy that pulled the wings off flies when you were a kid then laughed about it. Just sayin that too.
Sponsored

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There were never any quality issues with Dearborn made Fords?

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
There were never any quality issues with Dearborn made Fords?
I'm sure there are quality issues at Dearborn just like any other factory but most people have a vested interest in building the best products they can. The problem is that a poorly monitored outsource company can become a problem for the end supplier down the line.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, Mexican workers aren't "smart enough..."?

You're "just sayin" some racist/xenophobic bullshit, is what you're doing.
wow how quickly this turns to race vs skill and experience and pride of craftsmanship.

I bet there are also American workers that would give a flying scrap about the quality of their work and just collect a check.

But those numbers are far less here then a place that is just used for labor to assemble consumer goods.

If the goods where designed and engineered there I guarantee 100% the level of quality will go up. Pride of work comes from an innate place where you know where it came from and where its going.

In Dearborn the cars is designed and engineered there. There is over 100 years of blood sweat and tears that instill pride in the work they do.

If you see something wrong you speak up because you know in your heart that you don't want to let bad product out of your hands and don't care if you did not meet the quota of build units. Fear is another driver of just get stuff out

So when you use cheaper labor to build parts don't expect you will get the same quality as you would as in the native country that the engineering and design comes from.

This could be China or anywhere else that labor is exported to build goods that are not used in the build county.

Mexico is a beautiful country with beautiful people. This should not be taken personally.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
wow how quickly this turns to race vs skill and experience and pride of craftsmanship.

I bet there are also American workers that would give a flying scrap about the quality of their work and just collect a check.

But those numbers are far less here then a place that is just used for labor to assemble consumer goods.

If the goods where designed and engineered there I guarantee 100% the level of quality will go up. Pride of work comes from an innate place where you know where it came from and where its going.

In Dearborn the cars is designed and engineered there. There is over 100 years of blood sweat and tears that instill pride in the work they do.

If you see something wrong you speak up because you know in your heart that you don't want to let bad product out of your hands and don't care if you did not meet the quota of build units. Fear is another driver of just get stuff out

So when you use cheaper labor to build parts don't expect you will get the same quality as you would as in the native country that the engineering and design comes from.

This could be China or anywhere else that labor is exported to build goods that are not used in the build county.

Mexico is a beautiful country with beautiful people. This should not be taken personally.
Well said and I agree 100%

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well said and I agree 100%
And please let's remember that the cheaper labor is being exploited by countries that do not want to pay domestic wages.

Last edited:

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I still say the whole plug thing sounds suspicious like maybe they didn't want to admit a screw-up and have you complain that something major should be replaced.

A plug, how convenient it was just a plug sir.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Bad plug or something worse that they don't want to mention cause they screwed up and if you knew you'd want a new engine?
Well, I can see where a bad plug gave me all the misfire notifications but it does seem a bit suspicious when it took 7 days and the resources of Ford engineers and a large contingent of Ford trained mechanics to realise it came down to a $5 spark plug.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And what might that "something" be, precisely? Do you have familiarity with the production methods and/or employees at both facilities?
I think you miss understand what I am saying.
Do people who work on the assembly line have access to buy the product they are assembling to use in their towns and community’s?
Would they even be able to afford them in the first place?

If the answer is no to one or two then there is an equality issue in the mindset of the labor.

“ those bourgeois Americans in their bourgeois cars it’s not my fault they made a hole over gas tank let them deal with it”
“ those plastic fender well inserts they fall out of the car after production it’s not my problem they should have designed it better”
“ my supervisor will fire me if I stop the production line to fix the problem that’s not a problem to them”

these are fundamental issues
that fall on the feet of Ford and the labor that they are taking advantage off not the labors fault.
So now we can see clearly its not a race thing as much as perception.
Perhaps if it was spelled out it would not be so quickly taken so personally by insecure children with no real experience of the world.
You quickly just to race as its the only excuse to explain what is happening.

Why take pride in building something that you and your community can not use or take advantage of.
What pride is in that.
Maybe after second or third generation of plant workers will have that mindset. Who knows.
But I still trust their work and what ford is offering. I am going to wait 9 months to get it and not complain how long it’s taking. Because I understand crap happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Well....all is good in the world again. Got the Mav back after the ordeal and according to the stealership the culprit,,,,a bad spark plug. So, total time for fuel tank swap 7 days. Total cost for the whole deal (repair, diagnostic, re-repair, re diagnostic, car rental) came to $3365 and change. I'm not a tech or a mechanic but wouldn't the diagnostic have pinpointed a bad plug from the git go. Matters not I guess at this point. Any other Mav owner,,,if your truck fails the drilled fuel tank inspection recall, good luck.
Signing off.
Just when I thought I could put this fuel tank swap issue behind me....the bottom falls out. Got my truck back Friday past...all was good. Ran a few errands with it...no problem. Went to head to a store today and I didn't get a block down the street and it stalled at least 7 times.
Got it home and will call the dealership in the morning with the bad news. Frustrated beyond belief.

Sponsored

Mtnflyer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I picked up my Maverick directly off the lot in Windsor and within a month I received a recall notice for the possible fuel tank puncture. I'm sure most are aware of the recall where the fuel tank was punctured from an outside spray in bedliner source. My truck failed the inspection and required the tank to be replaced. Pretty straight forward right? Not so much. After the tank was replaced and I picked up the truck I didn't get 2 blocks from the dealership and it stalled. Then when I tried to restart it I got a check engine light on the instrument panel. Brought it back to the dealership and they did their thing and gave me the truck back saying that it must have been air in the fuel lines that caused the problem. I was told to come and pick it up but before I did the tech took it for another test drive and it did it again. Now they have no idea what the problem is and that they need to contact engineers in Michigan to help them solve the problem. The cost of the tank swap was $1500 plus the rental car costs for 4 days. Now the truck is in for an extended diagnostic to try to make it right. I can only imagine what the total costs to get the truck back to me will be in the end. I contacted Ford of Canada to lodge an official complaint not as a problem with the dealership but strictly to bring the issue to their attention for future references. I am not happy with the engineering aspect of the problem as this should have been a simple parts swap. Now they tell me that it will be at least another week before they figure out what went wrong. Meanwhile the Ford Pass app is sending me notifications that there are misfire faults that could cook the catalytic converter. Nice. If your Maverick gets recalled for this issue I hope that your repair experience goes better than mine.
How did you receive your recall notice? I have same truck, same province, so I’m just wondering.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
How did you receive your recall notice? I have same truck, same province, so I’m just wondering.
I got my recall notice in the mail and through the Ford pass app. My situation has now elevated to the ludicrous. Very angry and frustrated with the whole tank swap. I hope you don't have this problem to deal with

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just when I thought I could put this fuel tank swap issue behind me....the bottom falls out. Got my truck back Friday past...all was good. Ran a few errands with it...no problem. Went to head to a store today and I didn't get a block down the street and it stalled at least 7 times.
Got it home and will call the dealership in the morning with the bad news. Frustrated beyond belief.
Ouch, feel for you. Sadly, it puts the lie to the bad spark plug "resolution" that Ford went with. Sure sounded like "We don't want to spend any more time on this, change a plug, that could cause a misfire. Hopefully whatever the real problem is/was won't resurface." Disappointing customer service. Hope it's sorted soon.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, I thought I had a bad gas tank, 281 miles since I picked up at the dealer and the gas tank shows 3/4 full. I have never seen that before in all my years of driving and I'm 69.
Boy! This brings back memories! In 70's there was a guy at work who endlessly researched before settling on a VW for gas milage. When it didn't get advertised mpg we had to listen about that for weeks about everything he did with dealer trying to get it up. Someone maybe dealer or (?) Told him that it would get better when broken in. So some of the guys started by adding a small amount of gas at lunch time and gradually increased the amount until he was getting some outstanding mpg. And then stopped right after he took it to dealer for oil change or something. Then we got to listen to him complaining about what could the dealer have possibly done to screw up his mpg? I don't think anyone ever told him what the guys had done even when he finally traded it in. 😂

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Ouch, feel for you. Sadly, it puts the lie to the bad spark plug "resolution" that Ford went with. Sure sounded like "We don't want to spend any more time on this, change a plug, that could cause a misfire. Hopefully whatever the real problem is/was won't resurface." Disappointing customer service. Hope it's sorted soon.
Oh this is FAR from over at this point. My next step is to corner an official area Ford Canada representative and demand a resolution. At some point the dealership will try to wash their hands and push this off. Not gonna happen. I have been a consistent buyer of Ford products since the 70's ( yeah I'm old) and I will get this resolved. Film at 11
Sponsored