Sponsored

Welcome to my Maverick fuel tank recall nightmare.

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
So I picked up my Maverick directly off the lot in Windsor and within a month I received a recall notice for the possible fuel tank puncture. I'm sure most are aware of the recall where the fuel tank was punctured from an outside spray in bedliner source. My truck failed the inspection and required the tank to be replaced. Pretty straight forward right? Not so much. After the tank was replaced and I picked up the truck I didn't get 2 blocks from the dealership and it stalled. Then when I tried to restart it I got a check engine light on the instrument panel. Brought it back to the dealership and they did their thing and gave me the truck back saying that it must have been air in the fuel lines that caused the problem. I was told to come and pick it up but before I did the tech took it for another test drive and it did it again. Now they have no idea what the problem is and that they need to contact engineers in Michigan to help them solve the problem. The cost of the tank swap was $1500 plus the rental car costs for 4 days. Now the truck is in for an extended diagnostic to try to make it right. I can only imagine what the total costs to get the truck back to me will be in the end. I contacted Ford of Canada to lodge an official complaint not as a problem with the dealership but strictly to bring the issue to their attention for future references. I am not happy with the engineering aspect of the problem as this should have been a simple parts swap. Now they tell me that it will be at least another week before they figure out what went wrong. Meanwhile the Ford Pass app is sending me notifications that there are misfire faults that could cook the catalytic converter. Nice. If your Maverick gets recalled for this issue I hope that your repair experience goes better than mine.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you saying you have had to pay $1500 for this fix so far?

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Are you saying you have had to pay $1500 for this fix so far?
Sorry, I should have stated in my verbal diarrhea post that all costs will be pick up by Ford Canada but I have an underlying unease that this will be not the end of the problems, Wait and see I guess.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Holy crap man. You must be fun at parties.

It's a recall. You have warranty. "underlying ease this is not the end of problems" - what a negative nancy. How do you know that? You can't predict the future.

Be thankful you have a brand that stands behind their warranties, it will be fixed, and not at your cost (why did you write 1500?), and you will soon forget about this.

Yes. It sucks it's happening. Nothing is perfect in life. Everyone has problems, it's how you work through them is what differentiates people.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick

It's a recall. You have warranty. "underlying ease this is not the end of problems" - what a negative nancy. How do you know that? You can't predict the future.

Be thankful you have a brand that stands behind their warranties, it will be fixed, and not at your cost (why did you write 1500?), and you will soon forget about this.

Yes. It sucks it's happening. Nothing is perfect in life. Everyone has problems, it's how you work through them is what differentiates people.

Thanks man. I appreciate the constructive criticism. Just trying to communicate the issues I am having with this recall.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
If it wasn't stalling before the recall "repair" , your Ford Dealer's service department is most likely at fault.
I am inclined to agree. I'll have to see what takes place next. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
sounds like either contamination (shavings?)in the tank from the drill puncture made it's way into fuel delivery system and clogged something (fuel filter?) or when they installed your new tank they mixed up vent lines and it gets a vapor lock killing the engine. After you let it settle a bit things return to normal until there's enough vacuum built up to stall it again. Since the technician could repeat the failure, I'm going with #2.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Man, I thought I had a bad gas tank, 281 miles since I picked up at the dealer and the gas tank shows 3/4 full. I have never seen that before in all my years of driving and I'm 69.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
sounds like either contamination (shavings?)in the tank from the drill puncture made it's way into fuel delivery system and clogged something (fuel filter?) or when they installed your new tank they mixed up vent lines and it gets a vapor lock killing the engine. After you let it settle a bit things return to normal until there's enough vacuum built up to stall it again. Since the technician could repeat the failure, I'm going with #2.
Not sure what the end diagnostic will be but I'll post whatever the fix is. Thanks

Sponsored

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to read this. Hopefully Ford will fix your problem. It does suck, having a new vehicle in for repair.

I would be very upset. Just remember by posting on this forum you will receive lots of positive posts and some negative. If you feel a post is negative, I learned to just keep it to yourself. If you respond angrily, the post will just escalate into a pissing match

bagman51

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer XLT 2011 Mustang Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I picked up my Maverick directly off the lot in Windsor and within a month I received a recall notice for the possible fuel tank puncture. I'm sure most are aware of the recall where the fuel tank was punctured from an outside spray in bedliner source. My truck failed the inspection and required the tank to be replaced. Pretty straight forward right? Not so much. After the tank was replaced and I picked up the truck I didn't get 2 blocks from the dealership and it stalled. Then when I tried to restart it I got a check engine light on the instrument panel. Brought it back to the dealership and they did their thing and gave me the truck back saying that it must have been air in the fuel lines that caused the problem. I was told to come and pick it up but before I did the tech took it for another test drive and it did it again. Now they have no idea what the problem is and that they need to contact engineers in Michigan to help them solve the problem. The cost of the tank swap was $1500 plus the rental car costs for 4 days. Now the truck is in for an extended diagnostic to try to make it right. I can only imagine what the total costs to get the truck back to me will be in the end. I contacted Ford of Canada to lodge an official complaint not as a problem with the dealership but strictly to bring the issue to their attention for future references. I am not happy with the engineering aspect of the problem as this should have been a simple parts swap. Now they tell me that it will be at least another week before they figure out what went wrong. Meanwhile the Ford Pass app is sending me notifications that there are misfire faults that could cook the catalytic converter. Nice. If your Maverick gets recalled for this issue I hope that your repair experience goes better than mine.
I have the same recall
I am curious if you had any fuel odors before the tank change. I have the same recall and have 8000km on mine since last October. No fumes detected.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I have the same recall

I am curious if you had any fuel odors before the tank change. I have the same recall and have 8000km on mine since last October. No fumes detected.
Nope...no fuel odors but what I have been told by the stealership was that there were several deep drill marks on the fuel tank that were very close or slightly through the tank surface.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most probably particles got sucked up the fuel line during the replacement. since there was no issue before you took your truck in for the recall. now these particles are in the fuel system and it could be anywhere. what a nightmare totally sucks man.

There are peeps at ford that are embarrassed right now. their only saving grace is the demand for this truck is so high that they are given a pass.

These are the issues I mention on this forum when they designed goods (in this case Mav) have zero room for shoddy workmanship during assembly.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Most probably particles got sucked up the fuel line during the replacement. since there was no issue before you took your truck in for the recall. now these particles are in the fuel system and it could be anywhere. what a nightmare totally sucks man.

There are peeps at ford that are embarrassed right now. their only saving grace is the demand for this truck is so high that they are given a pass.

These are the issues I mention on this forum when they designed goods (in this case Mav) have zero room for shoddy workmanship during assembly.
My Ford Pass has been receiving OBD engine misfire fault notifications and from what I can gather from the information that I've been given is that the Ford engineers can't explain why. The truck is still DOA. I'm not sure when the root cause will be determined.

My confidence in what has been so far good experiences with Ford products has taken a hit. If the engineers don't have a solution and the techs at the dealership are scratching their heads then I'll need to wait and see what the next step will be.
Sponsored