Sponsored

Welcome to my Maverick fuel tank recall nightmare.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Ford Pass has been receiving OBD engine misfire fault notifications and from what I can gather from the information that I've been given is that the Ford engineers can't explain why. The truck is still DOA. I'm not sure when the root cause will be determined.

My confidence in what has been so far good experiences with Ford products has taken a hit. If the engineers don't have a solution and the techs at the dealership are scratching their heads then I'll need to wait and see what the next step will be.
So those codes where prior to the tank replacement?

ME too.... I will not abandon the brand based on human error

Something tells me if these were assembled in Dearborn some of these issues would not exist
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
So those codes where prior to the tank replacement?

ME too.... I will not abandon the brand based on human error

Something tells me if these were assembled in Dearborn some of these issues would not exist
No...the misfire notifications started after the new tank was installed. To this point I have gotten 7 fuel system fault notifications. I agree,,,it's not the brand it's the poor monitoring of the outsourced spray in bedliner company. A little thought process would have told you that using a 5 inch drill to clear drain holes over a fuel tank that is an inch away from the underside of the box floor might be problematic. I doubt very much that this would have happened in Dearborn and if it did the trucks would never have left the factory floor.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No...the misfire notifications started after the new tank was installed. To this point I have gotten 7 fuel system fault notifications. I agree,,,it's not the brand it's the poor monitoring of the outsourced spray in bedliner company. A little thought process would have told you that using a 5 inch drill to clear drain holes over a fuel tank that is an inch away from the underside of the box floor might be problematic. I doubt very much that this would have happened in Dearborn and if it did the trucks would never have left the factory floor.
True

a veteran production floor operator would have seen the issue, made a notification and placed a plug in the hole during the application and removed it afterward. no drilling required.

In their attempt to replace the tank they could have inadvertently added more contaminants in the process or broken loose some and got sucked up further in the fuel line.

In any case your updates to your problem is something we all will be eager to hear about.
Best of luck to you and the service department.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Well....all is good in the world again. Got the Mav back after the ordeal and according to the stealership the culprit,,,,a bad spark plug. So, total time for fuel tank swap 7 days. Total cost for the whole deal (repair, diagnostic, re-repair, re diagnostic, car rental) came to $3365 and change. I'm not a tech or a mechanic but wouldn't the diagnostic have pinpointed a bad plug from the git go. Matters not I guess at this point. Any other Mav owner,,,if your truck fails the drilled fuel tank inspection recall, good luck.
Signing off.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well....all is good in the world again. Got the Mav back after the ordeal and according to the stealership the culprit,,,,a bad spark plug. So, total time for fuel tank swap 7 days. Total cost for the whole deal (repair, diagnostic, re-repair, re diagnostic, car rental) came to $3365 and change. I'm not a tech or a mechanic but wouldn't the diagnostic have pinpointed a bad plug from the git go. Matters not I guess at this point. Any other Mav owner,,,if your truck fails the drilled fuel tank inspection recall, good luck.
Signing off.
what in the world.... bad plug???? that would give a totally different code? better than junk in the fuel lines.

Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
sorry you had problems, all manufacturers have warranty problems/recalls,etc. i really don't think you can blame mexico or ford as you see there isn't any automobile companies that are perfect w/0 production issues. i had taken mine in for an oil change & dealer not only took care the tank swap (mine had damages as well) without me asking since the letter i received said to hold off until parts were available if you didn't have any leak/smell odors, etc... but since it was overnight was given a loaner and no problems before or afterwards.
*It was covered free of charge to you and your loaner/rental car and you're back in your maverick

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
what in the world.... bad plug???? that would give a totally different code? better than junk in the fuel lines.
I know right. Bad plug??? I have worked around cars and motorcycles all my life (and I'm old as dirt) and I have never seen a vehicle die from one bad plug. Blows my mind but I have it back and I'm movin forward.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know right. Bad plug??? I have worked around cars and motorcycles all my life (and I'm old as dirt) and I have never seen a vehicle die from one bad plug. Blows my mind but I have it back and I'm movin forward.
exactly I have had bad plugs to bad plug wires and each time the car would sputter but never die. And would spit out a ignition or timeing codes.

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
I once had a Corvette that got water in the gas tank. Caused problems after the water had all been removed. It is a long shot, but maybe some water was sucked out of the old tank? Any hole in the tank would have been directly under the drain holes in the bed.

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I once had a Corvette that got water in the gas tank. Caused problems after the water had all been removed. It is a long shot, but maybe some water was sucked out of the old tank? Any hole in the tank would have been directly under the drain holes in the bed.
I can't see how that could have happened because the stalling issues I had came after the new tank was installed. I had no issues with truck before the swap. The gas in the replaced tank was fresh. Not sure if I'll get a definitive root cause but at this point...I don't really care :)

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And what might that "something" be, precisely? Do you have familiarity with the production methods and/or employees at both facilities?

OP
OP
Pretorian

Pretorian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
And what might that "something" be, precisely? Do you have familiarity with the production methods and/or employees at both facilities?
He might not but I do. I was the Quality liaison between Auto Alliance in Flat Rock Mi. and a stamping plant here in Windsor for a few years and I can tell you that the American auto workers take pride in their work and are smart enough to know that drilling through the floor might be an issue if you don't know what's on the other side. Also, in my last position as a Quality manager that supplied the Hermesillo plant with injection molds in Mexico...believe me they have a very slack approach to quality overall. Just sayin

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
I can't see how that could have happened because the stalling issues I had came after the new tank was installed. I had no issues with truck before the swap. The gas in the replaced tank was fresh. Not sure if I'll get a definitive root cause but at this point...I don't really care :)
Got it. I agree.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
He might not but I do. I was the Quality liaison between Auto Alliance in Flat Rock Mi. and a stamping plant here in Windsor for a few years and I can tell you that the American auto workers take pride in their work and are smart enough to know that drilling through the floor might be an issue if you don't know what's on the other side. Also, in my last position as a Quality manager that supplied the Hermesillo plant with injection molds in Mexico...believe me they have a very slack approach to quality overall. Just sayin
So, Mexican workers aren't "smart enough..."?

You're "just sayin" some racist/xenophobic bullshit, is what you're doing.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bad plug or something worse that they don't want to mention cause they screwed up and if you knew you'd want a new engine?
Sponsored