Regular or premium gas??

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2022 Shadow Black Maverick XLT/FX5/4K/Lux
On the other side of the argument, after working on turbo cars, owning turbo cars and driving turbo cars, I’ll be running Premium. Yes it’s more expensive but octane is important with forced induction. The other difference is detergents. At least here in Canada, the difference is significant
Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Filled up my tank with 87 a few times this week for my 860 mile road trip from Philadelphia to Maine. Averaged only 24mpg but I drive with a lead foot and just finished the break in period. Had no issues with engine knocking. Planning to keep running 87 for now but may switch to 89 or 93 in the future.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
You will see all 250hp with Premium. Regular grade will obviously be ok though.

Regardless, run a tank of Premium every once and a while. Or add some good injector cleaner in every 5k.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
When the ECU detects knock, it retards timing. It then increases fuel enrichment to ward off high exhaust temps going into the turbo and decreases boost.
I will run 93 in my new Maverick, when ever it gets here;).
I put 90,000+ miles on a 2013 Escape with a 2.0 and used nothing but premium. Car never had a problems, only oil changes (by me) and ran liked a scalded dog!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When the ECU detects knock, it retards timing. It then increases fuel enrichment to ward off high exhaust temps going into the turbo and decreases boost
Maverick is tuned for 87. You do you, but it's a waste of money. That you "only" used 93 in another vehicle and it had no problems is an anecdote that means nothing.

I have only used 87 in many, many cars and never had a problem. -- see how that doesn't matter?

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Do you know what pre-turbine temperature is? Are you aware that it has a limit that the ECU monitors and corrects for? I guess all your other vehicles were gasoline and boosted. Use 87, I could care less.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick is tuned for 87. You do you, but it's a waste of money. That you "only" used 93 in another vehicle and it had no problems is an anecdote that means nothing.

I have only used 87 in many, many cars and never had a problem. -- see how that doesn't matter?
If Ford says it is rated for 87 then I would use 87 unless it starts to "knock", which it shouldn't for the first 100,000 miles ;) Ran 87 in my 2011 Genesis coupe for 105,000 miles, and it ran like a scalded dog until I sold it. Man, I loved that car ;) I just added some Techron to the tank with every oil change.

TopGunGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Running anything more than 87 is just just pissing your money away. AT BEST, you might, might, get an extra two HP. I think the manual says if you're towing a heavy load, then 91 may help. 98% of the time, 87 will be the best fuel for an eco-boost 2.0. I've seen the comment that in the heat, 91 may be better, but I live in Texas with temps near or over 100 degrees for half the year, and I call total BS on that. If you feed it 87 from the get go, it will be just fine ;)

I am seeing a steady 31.5 MPG + on my ECO running on 91 with an octane booster additive whereas the 87 was seeing 26 average

Chowdayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 XLT FX4 Lightning Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was in the Marines for 4 years but now I'm a LEO in Orange County! I honestly might just use premium from hearing everyone and online searching... It will still be cheaper than running regular in my Tundra with the thirsty 5.7 😂
Station 39 por vida. Haven’t decided which one so far either. I’ve been running 87 but was wondering if I should go 91 as well.

Dfw Maverick

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4
In my personal opinion, if you have an turbocharged engine you use premium gas and full synthetic oil. When you use regular you have the knocking sound and it fouls the plugs and have a dirter valves.

Sponsored

Canucklehead

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2.0
Running anything more than 87 is just just pissing your money away. AT BEST, you might, might, get an extra two HP. I think the manual says if you're towing a heavy load, then 91 may help. 98% of the time, 87 will be the best fuel for an eco-boost 2.0. I've seen the comment that in the heat, 91 may be better, but I live in Texas with temps near or over 100 degrees for half the year, and I call total BS on that. If you feed it 87 from the get go, it will be just fine ;)
If you value performance above all else, it is absolutely worth it to run premium regardless of temp.

87 is fine for the average joe who cares less about 0 to 60 or balls to the wall acceleration. It will run just fine with no drivability issues.

Car and driver tested a 20hp difference on the 3.5 EcoBoost between 87 and 93. This lead to a .5 second improvements in 0 to 60 and quarter mile performance.

Some may argue the Maverick is an economy car but at 125hp/ liter, it's not exactly a low performance engine.

There is a reason the owners manual states 87 is the minimum rated octane. Bare minimum.
It only gets better from there

Last edited:

V3N0M

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dying Embers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st edition Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the insight was hard to find a good answer due to people just babbling about gas price differences obsessively.
I love this answer I've been annoyed by the same thing trying to find valid info.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
C16.

Go big or go home......