Sponsored

Aftermarket Options for hitch / receiver?

crezzk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tacoma
Does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket options yet? I did not add with my build but may be looking to add down the line.
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Not yet, as there is nothing to install it on eTrailer will have something not long after launch though I am sure.

Miles777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Not yet, as there is nothing to install it on eTrailer will have something not long after launch though I am sure.
I just checked with Uhaul and with Quality Bumper (a local installer) and both said that they do not currently offer an aftermarket install kit. I'm not sure that they ever will. Why? Because the Ford Maverick designers were so hell-bent on cost reduction that they failed to include the harness wiring required to easily install an after-market hitch, saving, oh, I don't know, perhaps $3 per vehicle? I suspect that there was never ever another Ford pickup truck designed with this omission.

A Maverick hitch receiver costs $305 from a Ford dealer (and they are on indefinite back order). The design requires that the existing crash bar be removed and replaced with the hitch receiver. Combined with this expense, the extra labor and cost to fabricate and install the hitch wiring means a shop like Uhaul or eTrailer would need to charge around $800-$1000 to install a simple 4-plug hitch on a Maverick. That's too much for most potential customers. It's also likely that there won't be too many Mavericks sold without the optional $100 hitch, so the total customer base may be too small to make it attractive for anyone to develop and offer an after-market solution.

Looking back at it, I wonder if my Maverick was rejected by the person who originally ordered it because he/she forgot to check the $100 hitch option (making the truck available for the dealer to sell to me with a $5000 dealer markup). I also suspect the saleman who sold me the car knew he was deceiving me when he suggested that could I go to Uhaul to get an aftermarket hitch.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you don't already have a vehicle or vin in production, call the dealer and have them add the $100 option. Otherwise it's very difficult and expensive.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just checked with Uhaul and with Quality Bumper (a local installer) and both said that they do not currently offer an aftermarket install kit. I'm not sure that they ever will. Why? Because the Ford Maverick designers were so hell-bent on cost reduction that they failed to include the harness wiring required to easily install an after-market hitch, saving, oh, I don't know, perhaps $3 per vehicle? I suspect that there was never ever another Ford pickup truck designed with this omission.

A Maverick hitch receiver costs $305 from a Ford dealer (and they are on indefinite back order). The design requires that the existing crash bar be removed and replaced with the hitch receiver. Combined with this expense, the extra labor and cost to fabricate and install the hitch wiring means a shop like Uhaul or eTrailer would need to charge around $800-$1000 to install a simple 4-plug hitch on a Maverick. That's too much for most potential customers. It's also likely that there won't be too many Mavericks sold without the optional $100 hitch, so the total customer base may be too small to make it attractive for anyone to develop and offer an after-market solution.

Looking back at it, I wonder if my Maverick was rejected by the person who originally ordered it because he/she forgot to check the $100 hitch option (making the truck available for the dealer to sell to me with a $5000 dealer markup). I also suspect the saleman who sold me the car knew he was deceiving me when he suggested that could I go to Uhaul to get an aftermarket hitch.
that's all pretty wild and not reality..

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL I looked at Uhaul's website: $398 in parts (including hitch, ball, wiring kit) and $195 installation fee to put a hitch and wiring on a Maverick.

4sambos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Avalanche, Prius, Camry Hybrid,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL I looked at Uhaul's website: $398 in parts (including hitch, ball, wiring kit) and $195 installation fee to put a hitch and wiring on a Maverick.
Verify this aftermarket ā€œhitch & wiring harnessā€ will not void the Warranty since itā€™s not Ford accessories. I thought I heard Tim B say that currently the harness wiring is an issue.

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Verify this aftermarket ā€œhitch & wiring harnessā€ will not void the Warranty since itā€™s not Ford accessories. I thought I heard Tim B say that, currently, the harness wiring is an issue.
ā€¦ I wish people would get educated about the (Magnusonā€“Moss) Warranty Act! Manufacturers can NOT void or deny warranty for using aftermarket or other manufacturer's products. Not FORD, not CHEVY, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. Unless they can PROVE that the installation or device was the cause of a failure. I wish you guys understood how uneducated it sounds when statements like that are made! BTW - All the wires for the trailer hitch are at the tag light harness ... One thing you must do is isolate the vehicle using relays because the Ford Maverick is using solid state devices, NOT relays like older vehicles.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ā€¦ I wish people would get educated about the (Magnusonā€“Moss) Warranty Act! Manufacturers can NOT void or deny warranty for using aftermarket or other manufacturer's products. Not FORD, not CHEVY, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. Unless they can PROVE that the installation or device was the cause of a failure. I wish you guys understood how uneducated it sounds when statements like that are made! BTW - All the wires for the trailer hitch are at the tag light harness ... One thing you must do is isolate the vehicle using relays because the Ford Maverick is using solid state devices, NOT relays like older vehicles.
Magnuson-Moss provides no protection to individual consumer unless enforced. Enforcement requires arbitration or lawsuit.

How much time and money will you spend on lawsuit and lawyer?

Magnuson-Moss makes it easier for consumers to sue for breach of warranty by making it a violation of federal law, bringing the case out of the individual stateā€™s hands and into the federal purview. It also lowers the amount of economic damages normally needed for federal jurisdiction.

The Act does allow for companies to require consumers first attempt an ā€œinformal dispute settlement procedure,ā€ better known as arbitration, before filing a breach of warranty claim.

Aftermarket hitch should not cause any warranty problems. Potentially there "could" be problems with aftermarket wiring resulting in electrical problems and error codes. Don't expect Ford to warranty these problems.

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Magnuson-Moss provides no protection to individual consumer unless enforced. Enforcement requires arbitration or lawsuit.

How much time and money will you spend on lawsuit and lawyer?

Magnuson-Moss makes it easier for consumers to sue for breach of warranty by making it a violation of federal law, bringing the case out of the individual stateā€™s hands and into the federal purview. It also lowers the amount of economic damages normally needed for federal jurisdiction.

The Act does allow for companies to require consumers first attempt an ā€œinformal dispute settlement procedure,ā€ better known as arbitration, before filing a breach of warranty claim.

Aftermarket hitch should not cause any warranty problems. Potentially there "could" be problems with aftermarket wiring resulting in electrical problems and error codes. Don't expect Ford to warranty these problems.
... it addresses the point of discussion, whereas no manufacturer or dealer can deny or void the warranty for using products or accessories not made or endorsed by the brand! I have been up and down this road before with HARLEY, and trust me when I say they are rows of layers ready to take a case of this nature. That is because your chances of winning are 99.9999999999999%

With that said, and with the level of mechanical background and critical thinking (aka common sense) in some of the posts here and comments made on my channel, there is doubt that some folks should stay away from not only their Mavericks but anything mechanical in general.

The things stated here that "will or may" void your warranty are 10000000000000% unfounded, pure speculation, and many cases falsehood.
Sponsored