First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks man, if I’m ever in the dumps I know to reach out. I’ve gone to great lengths to insure that doesn’t happen again, but who knows what the future holds. I extend the same offer.
Sponsored

Dooma99

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
How did he get the hybrid truck? I have been waiting for 6 months.😡

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been waiting since July and word has it it's in Chicago getting off the train. But who knows. My box of goodies showed up at the dealer.

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A little confusing if you try to skip any of the video. So 1 to 1.5 miles in pure electric and about 1/2 gallon after the gas gauge say empty might get you 13 miles in sport mode. Also subtle humor easily missed was Girl Scouts selling cookies at the marijuana dispensary. There was also a snide comment about gas prices that I thought was humorous but which could be found politically offensive to others.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems to me that if you are going to test how many miles can be driven with the electric drive only, you would want to test during the day and ensure the the headlights, etc. are turned off. But then what do I know? :cool:

Sponsored

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Constantly, there's no actual EV mode it's switching back and forth all the time.

How has no one corrected this very incorrect comment yet?

The engine turns on and off. It does not run constantly. There are plenty of times that the electric motor is the sole propulsion of the truck. Have you never seen the blue ELECTRIC stat on the instrument cluster? It tells you how many miles you traveled under pure EV power.

Last edited:

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a great video for the purposes of what is was intended.

It does not accurately show what the Maverick is capable of in electric mode. The battery and electric motor are more powerful than the video shows. His truck was in limp mode due to running out of gas which also reduced the power of the EV system knowing it could not have been recharged by the gas engine.

Watch a video of a hybrid being driven online and you will see it can accelerate faster than he was able to under electric only power and is able to hit over 40 mph.

Lastly. I know the driver cannot control if the Maverick is in EV or hybrid mode. There are several parameters that must be met for the gas engine to shut off and the throttle pedal cannot be pressed too hard or the gas engine will turn back on.

Last edited:

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How has no one corrected this very incorrect comment yet?

The engine turns on and off. It does not run constantly. There are plenty of times that the electric motor is the sole propulsion of the truck. Have you never seen the blue ELECTRIC stat on the instrument cluster? It tells you how many miles you traveled under pure EV power.
I think you just misread what I was replying to, we’re on the same page:

So if that's all the further it goes on just battery, just how often does the gas engine kick on and off?

Constantly, there's no actual EV mode it's switching back and forth all the time.
The gas engine kicks on and off constantly, not stays on constantly.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Sport XLT
Engine
Undecided
The fuel pump runs on either one of two conditions. It primes for about 1 second when the engine computer is first activated and runs normally, at variable load, once an RPM signal is received.

So, on conventional vehicles, once the engine stalls and the RPM signal is lost, the fuel pump shuts off. It will turn on again when someone tries to restart the engine. In a hybrid, the pump will remain in for as long as the powertrain is trying to restart the engine. What he did in this video is just about the worst case scenario for a submerged fuel pump. The only hope for that pump is if the engine computer shut down the fuel pump once it realized the gas engine wasn't restarting (when the red triangle powertrain fault warning came on).
Thank you

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was interested to know what happens......

One day, as my fuel got low, I also wondered, "will this Hybrid run on batteries alone?" You showed me - NOPE! Thanks for the demonstration.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Running the fuel tank dry like that is a very bad idea, say goodby to the fuel pump in short order,
While not advised, it will be fine.

RocketJockey83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Prius c
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I take it you've never run out of gas before ;) I've run out of gas before, and many friends too. I've never had to replace a fuel pump. That being said, I do think letting your gas tank get too low after years of driving is not good for your fuel pump due to impurities that may settle to the bottom of the tank. The Mav is new, so very unlikely that would happen in this case. Just don't make a habit of it ;)
As a former prius owner, the first thing I asked the dealer was about being able to drive on electric only to get to a station or just off the road. He was emphatic that I not do that. You can still drive on electric only but the ice continues to TRY and run including the fuel pump. When you run the gas out of a regular ice vehicle, your not continously running with a dry fuel pump. He said treat it as if it were a regular gas vehicle in that instance.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As a former prius owner, the first thing I asked the dealer was about being able to drive on electric only to get to a station or just off the road. He was emphatic that I not do that. You can still drive on electric only but the ice continues to TRY and run including the fuel pump. When you run the gas out of a regular ice vehicle, your not continously running with a dry fuel pump. He said treat it as if it were a regular gas vehicle in that instance.
Ummmmm.......

This is not true in the Maverick.

Not saying you SHOULD run out of gas.
But no permanent harm will come if you do.
Sponsored