Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Which tonneau cover are you using? Soft? Hard? Roll up or Tri Fold. Just curious because I saw the clamps in one of the pics and I was wondering with a plastic trim on the bed if a clamp was going to damage the plastic. And is it one of the Ford ones or a another brand? Thank you in advance for the info.
It's the factory Ford soft roll-up tonneau cover on this Maverick.
Sponsored

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great idea. I was thinking of the same thing since you wouldn't want real wood in the truck bed out in the weather. Didn't think of the pipe wrap though. Nice.
Great idea, but I think I'll get a can of Area51 blue paint and spray the plastic wood with it so they are easy to see against the black Berliner. Might prevent someone (me) from tripping over them šŸ˜…

tsled

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.helibuilder.net
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray, Hybrid, XLT Maverick
My thought too. Possibly doubled thick with the ends beveled for a better fit in the flared slots.
Lowe's has TREX plastic decking, it is heavy but will last forever.

• Protective outer shell resists fading and staining; no sanding or painting required
  • Quality low-maintenance material; cleans easily with soap and water
  • Backed by 25-year Limited Residential and Fade and Stain Warranties
  • Available in grooved-edge boards for our hidden deck fasteners or square-edge for traditional installation
  • A warm blend of medium and dark browns
  • Made of high-performance composite; wonā€™t rot, warp or splinter, unlike wood
  • Made of 95% recycled materials, with a low carbon footprint
  • The beauty of wood with the ease of composite
  • Lightweight scalloped profile for easy handling
8 ft is $20.78 and a 12 ft is $31.17 in different "wood" colors.

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
Iā€™ve used a plain ole treated 2x8 like this for agesā€¦as long as bed liners (was the case with older trucks as plastic liners have pretty much always had slots) or the beds themselves had provisions for it. Rather than install when needed, it stayed put and only was removed when I needed it out of the way. I usually keep my truck 5 to 15yrs at a time as well, and have had plastic and spray ins back there. My 2 centsā€¦

1) Prob the most handy item to have back there, especially with a bed cover or with a tall truck thatā€™s not easy to reach in over the sides. Keeps the stuff that fits between it and the tailgate at the back vs sliding up so no more difficult than like a car trunk. When itā€™s in the way, simply lift out and toss aside for those big items.

2) while none of them have fit particularly snugly (usually pretty loose) Iā€™ve never had any issue at all with the board wearing or even significantly scuffing plastic or spray in liners. Also never did any prep to the boards either. Simply cut to size and toss in, no sanding the ends or anything. So while different material, painting, that sort of stuff may be worthwhile vs a basic board, I donā€™t think the foam and all is necessary.

Headdead

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster S
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lowe's has TREX plastic decking, it is heavy but will last forever.

• Protective outer shell resists fading and staining; no sanding or painting required
  • Quality low-maintenance material; cleans easily with soap and water
  • Backed by 25-year Limited Residential and Fade and Stain Warranties
  • Available in grooved-edge boards for our hidden deck fasteners or square-edge for traditional installation
  • A warm blend of medium and dark browns
  • Made of high-performance composite; wonā€™t rot, warp or splinter, unlike wood
  • Made of 95% recycled materials, with a low carbon footprint
  • The beauty of wood with the ease of composite
  • Lightweight scalloped profile for easy handling
8 ft is $20.78 and a 12 ft is $31.17 in different "wood" colors.
Just a thought: A "2x6" is actually approx 1 1/2 x 5 1/2", more or less. Isn't the TREX mentioned a nominal 1x6, or closer to 5/8" thick? If so, you would need 2 pieces, each 54" long.

Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what do y'all have the bedliner for if your going to cover it with swimming noodle?

Stevospeedo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD FX4 4K Towing 245/65R17 Falken WP A/T3W
what do y'all have the bedliner for if your going to cover it with swimming noodle?
Because there is this thing called friction that rubs off synthetic coatings applied to beds...

By your logic, why wax the truck if it's already painted? Why protect the plastic parts if they are already fine? Why change the oil if it's still slippery?

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because there is this thing called friction that rubs off synthetic coatings applied to beds...

By your logic, why wax the truck if it's already painted? Why protect the plastic parts if they are already fine? Why change the oil if it's still slippery?
because its a truck, I mean change the oil but I'm not going to wax it or something.

tsled

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.helibuilder.net
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray, Hybrid, XLT Maverick
Just a thought: A "2x6" is actually approx 1 1/2 x 5 1/2", more or less. Isn't the TREX mentioned a nominal 1x6, or closer to 5/8" thick? If so, you would need 2 pieces, each 54" long.
Just measured, TREX is 1.25" by 5.5" actual.

JamesC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will this plastic lumbar work for the DIY bike rack or is wood the better option?

Sponsored

bcording

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid

IslaDelDan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 & 2019 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd recommend that you call Menard's prior to a visit to get the plastic lumber SKU #11229974. I just figured they'd have it in stock, stopped in, and found out it is a special order item. That was at the Menard's in Kearney, Nebraska while on a road trip. So, call ahead to see if your local store stocks this item. Also check to see if they will cut it on site or if you take the 2x6x8 home with you and cut it there.

Good luck!

Pelster94

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I stole this from a FB page just to share here, so credit to Laura Hamilton.

ā€œGot my divider cut and put in today. Pleased with how it turned out. Used recycled plastic lumber in black from Menards, and added the pipe foam to make sure It doesnā€™t scratch my bed liner and I donā€™t hear it when Iā€™m driving. Ready to get groceries šŸ¤£.ā€​
"With my spray in liner it [plastic lumber] was about 54 1/4 inches long in that slot. We started at 54 1/2 and made a slight trim."​
"Itā€™s about 15 3/8 inches from the lumber board to the tailgate"​
This truck has Ford's soft roll-up tonneau cover installed.​

At the price I probably will black stain a wooden board and use the pipe foam on that. I will cut the foam tighter so it looks cleaner as well.

Link: 2 x 6 x 8' Black Plastic Lumber at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-4221069730084277.htm

Maverick Flexbed - Plastic lumber divider 4x4.jpeg

D8503227-B35E-474F-AFF9-12CB4788B16B.jpeg

245929887_846817365656_8429996061757715458_n.jpg

246323356_846817320746_8153649215532062971_n.jpg
How long did the plastic lumber take to get from Menards?

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fordā€™s plastic divider? Do you have a link?
Thanks
Ford discontinued the bed divider kit, before it was even available, with no explanation.
Sponsored