Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My data is more disturbing than I thought if the following is correct:

Ford Maverick Newest Ford special service message on Hybrid 12v Volt Battery Drain Problem AB9A6E73-2FC0-42C1-8B2A-3E5EB9979FD0
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

People with low batteries or no start can you report how long it sat from the last run cycle? TIA

acapaldi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People with low batteries or no start can you report how long it sat from the last run cycle? TIA
By the end of it, maybe 12 hours. I played the same game you did, watched it drop from 12.3 volts in the morning to ~7 volts and dead in the work parking lot over a 12 hour period.

Mine got progressively worse. Took 40 minute road trips on the highway with it, first time I made it ~4 days, next time, under a day. Thinking the longer you have the issue, the more it degrades the battery, the quicker it drops, the sooner you're dead again.

Something still isn't right with mine, dealer replaced the battery and I've been fine, but I did go back into deep sleep mode after driving the vehicle daily. Took a 20+ hour road trip in it and I haven't gone back to sleep, but I'm expecting it. Everything WiFi/Fordpass is disabled, I'm going off the dome lights.

Hoping this fuse is the ticket, will have them take a look when I die again. The "drain" may be the truck not fully charging the battery when it is run. Just enough to give it a bump in voltage, but not fully charge it, so it drops back down again. Gets progressively worse because letting it sit at low charge state hurts the battery over time.

The other theory I had, was that the act of disconnecting the battery stops the drain. So when they go to draw test they shut off whatever is drawing it down. You have to disconnect the battery to check the current draw. In testing I could disconnect my battery and read the same voltage 12.1 volts, 10 hours later. But leaving it connected for the same length of time the next day killed it.

Bobbydontchaknow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Data:
Parked at 6pm Friday after a 45 min drive.
Started at 11am Sunday.
Sat for 41 hours.

Nights: 50's
Days: 80's

Sunday Morning:
56C4B32B-DC11-470B-8A66-69B8BB33CF3E.jpeg

Key to run, DC/DC converter running:
17 amps recharging the 12 v
8EF2DC49-A14B-4DBD-B752-19E091B2AB43.jpeg

After 10 minutes of driving:
75EE152B-3E48-4B0F-A28F-21C89D667559.jpeg

*** The display is not the parasitic draw. It's on a quick disconnect and I take it in the house EVERY night so it does not get stolen. ***
Where do you find this screen? Or is this hooked up to the ob port? Just curious. Thanks!

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The other theory I had, was that the act of disconnecting the battery stops the drain. So when they go to draw test they shut off whatever is drawing it down. You have to disconnect the battery to check the current draw. In testing I could disconnect my battery and read the same voltage 12.1 volts, 10 hours later. But leaving it connected for the same length of time the next day killed it.
There are clamp on inductive current meters that can measure the battery drain without disconnecting the battery.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Where do you find this screen? Or is this hooked up to the ob port? Just curious. Thanks!
Add on to the OBD port.
I confirmed with the manufacturer the display is independently measuring the voltage from the power line it uses for the display. It is it's own volt meter, it is not getting "data" from the truck in this case.

Bobbydontchaknow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Add on to the OBD port.
I confirmed with the manufacturer the display is independently measuring the voltage from the power line it uses for the display. It is it's own volt meter, it is not getting "data" from the truck in this case.
Oh great! Thanks for the response! Do you have a link to the device so I can check it out?
Thanks again!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Oh great! Thanks for the response! Do you have a link to the device so I can check it out?
Thanks again!
Product is ScanGaugeIII

I highly recommend. They are a small company with great customer service and are in the USA. They answer all questions promptly and help you read codes and troubleshoot also. I can't speak more highly about them as a company.

I have been a customer since 2006 when I bought the original ScanGauge.
Later purchased two of the ScanGaugeII products. Recently purchased the much more beautiful and even more capable ScanGaugeIII.

It's a bit pricey for some, so don't buy it simply for a volt meter. It does about 100 other things as well, like gives you transmission temperature, water temperature, electric motor temperature, HV battery temperature, HV battery volts, HV battery amps,

AND LOW VOLTAGE 12v AMPS

(Plus about 100 more). Just short of a mechanic's diagnostic tool for a fraction of the price.

www.scangauge.com

Ford Maverick Newest Ford special service message on Hybrid 12v Volt Battery Drain Problem 876E6CDB-14AD-4792-A981-6169124C2505

Ford Maverick Newest Ford special service message on Hybrid 12v Volt Battery Drain Problem 7A3BBA5E-6273-419C-8018-AC6B9BE00164

Ford Maverick Newest Ford special service message on Hybrid 12v Volt Battery Drain Problem 40B75277-741F-4141-A903-63A457383296

acapaldi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are clamp on inductive current meters that can measure the battery drain without disconnecting the battery.
I looked those up, they seem perfect. It'd be a great way to confirm or deny that idea. Might pick one up.

I will say, I think I was wrong. Mine really might have just been a bad battery. I let it sit parked for a few days. When unlocked again, the dome light came on, started up totally fine. Been almost a month since my battery was replaced, only had the one instance where I thought the lights weren't coming on. Otherwise, solid.

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There has been some mention posted on here about 12 volt( low voltage system) battery drain and " deep sleep" messages from Ford Pass in Mavericks, today Ford released on the Professional Technician System accessible by Ford technicians this special service message, this may be something to have your dealer check if you are experiencing the problem of no start or dead/low battery. It does not specify that the mega fuse is being " blown" or popped, from my experience as a technician with some of the other models I have seen this mega fuse actually develop a crack ( typically caused by road shock/vibration)which can intermittently allow the loss of electrical charge to the battery, I've had them where they test good with an ohm/continuity meter laying on a bench but then with a little pressure applied to each end will test open. Ford does listen and research complaints/concerns with their vehicles and typically will give us( technicians) a heads up once they find a repetitive cause. Here is the service message, hope it helps some of you!

May 4 2023 New SSM 51598 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair, 2022-2023 Maverick – FHEV/PHEV - 12V Battery Voltage Low Or Discharged With DTC U3003:62 Stored In The DC/DC
Some 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair equipped with 2.5L engine full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) powertrain and 2022-2023 Maverick vehicles equipped with 2.5L engine FHEV powertrain may exhibit a condition where the 12V battery voltage is low or discharged with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U3003:62 stored in the direct current/direct current converter control module (DC/DC). The vehicle may also exhibit DTC U3003:16 and/or U3000:04 stored in the DC/DC module. This may be due to an open in the 300 amp mega fuse located in the high current battery junction box (BJB). To correct this condition, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-05>Pinpoint Test H1 to verify the 300amp mega fuse condition, replace the fuse upon confirmation it is open. Test and recharge the 12v battery.
Hi Senior Master Ford Guy. Thanks for sharing this. I have a 2023 Maverick Hybrid with only ~2700mi that was experiencing rapid battery drain issues to the point where the vehicle would be totally dead within a few hours of parking it. My dealer found that this fuse was open when tested with a multimeter, so they are replacing it per this SSM. Can you please answer a couple questions to help me better understand?

1. Do you know how this fuse being open would cause the battery to drain? If anything, I would’ve expected an open fuse to prevent the battery from being discharged. My battery was draining so rapidly that there must’ve been a fairly large load applied to it even when the vehicle was off.

2. You mentioned you’ve seen some crack. Do you know for sure if that’s the failure mode seen in the Maverick? My technician didn’t specify how it failed, but I’m concerned about the possibility of it being a blown fuse. If it was a blown fuse instead of a manufacturing defect, I would think that would point to other electronics issues considering the current would’ve had to exceed 300A to blow the fuse.

Sponsored

mhw21zap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Senior Master Ford Guy. Thanks for sharing this. I have a 2023 Maverick Hybrid with only ~2700mi that was experiencing rapid battery drain issues to the point where the vehicle would be totally dead within a few hours of parking it. My dealer found that this fuse was open when tested with a multimeter, so they are replacing it per this SSM. Can you please answer a couple questions to help me better understand?

1. Do you know how this fuse being open would cause the battery to drain? If anything, I would’ve expected an open fuse to prevent the battery from being discharged. My battery was draining so rapidly that there must’ve been a fairly large load applied to it even when the vehicle was off.

2. You mentioned you’ve seen some crack. Do you know for sure if that’s the failure mode seen in the Maverick? My technician didn’t specify how it failed, but I’m concerned about the possibility of it being a blown fuse. If it was a blown fuse instead of a manufacturing defect, I would think that would point to other electronics issues considering the current would’ve had to exceed 300A to blow the fuse.
Very curious to see what he might know :)

OP
OP
Senior Master Ford Guy

Senior Master Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ranger, 04 and 18 Escape, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Glad they found the problem and have hopefully fixed it permanently for you! The reason this fuse being "open" will cause your 12 volt battery to be drained is as follows( from the Maverick workshop manual) :
"The 12V battery is charged by the DC / DC converter control module. The BMS continuously monitors the battery state of charge condition and provides the BCM with this information. The BCM communicates this information to the PCM over the HS-CAN1 . The PCM communicates the battery desired setpoint to the DC / DC converter control module which supplies the necessary charge voltage to the 12V battery. "
Basically this fuse is what allows high current from the high current system to "flow" to the DC/DC converter where it is "knocked down" to an acceptable charge to the 12 volt battery. It may not necessarily be completely " blown" but just not capable of keeping the voltage necessary to the converter to keep the 12 volt battery fully charged and therefore upon restart the vehicle does not have enough low voltage system voltage to " light" all modules and allow a start.
As far as for the fuses I have seen cracked, they have been of a different style and in non-hybrid vehicles, but basically serve the same purpose of allowing charging system voltage to travel back to the battery, they typically have caused an intermittent " no crank" concern that can be difficult to diagnose, as the crack can open after running a while due to heat expansion or driving vibrations. I can say that of the vehicles I have replaced the cracked fuses in I have not seen any repeat repairs with, I can only assume there may have been a flaw at manufacturing in some just like there can be in any part, for example I have seen one headlamp bulb burn out for no apparent reason and yet the other can last for years after, even though both have been lit the same amount of time. Electrical components are like that some times. I would venture to guess that there may have been a question in the quality of some of these fuses used in the Maverick and Escape/Corsair which led to this service message from Ford.

Triple Brax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Duh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 1st Ed; Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last summer I had 2 Lariat Hybrids sit in storage for 36 days and both start right up. One of the Lariats has had the "deep sleep mode" issue the past ten months. Currently both are in storage again for 43 days. Other than the deep sleep mode on the one, haven't had any of the other battery issues yet and just drive 'em. #1 delivered 2-16-22 has 5906 miles; #2 delivered 3-17-22 has 8249 miles.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There has been some mention posted on here about 12 volt( low voltage system) battery drain and " deep sleep" messages from Ford Pass in Mavericks, today Ford released on the Professional Technician System accessible by Ford technicians this special service message, this may be something to have your dealer check if you are experiencing the problem of no start or dead/low battery. It does not specify that the mega fuse is being " blown" or popped, from my experience as a technician with some of the other models I have seen this mega fuse actually develop a crack ( typically caused by road shock/vibration)which can intermittently allow the loss of electrical charge to the battery, I've had them where they test good with an ohm/continuity meter laying on a bench but then with a little pressure applied to each end will test open. Ford does listen and research complaints/concerns with their vehicles and typically will give us( technicians) a heads up once they find a repetitive cause. Here is the service message, hope it helps some of you!

May 4 2023 New SSM 51598 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair, 2022-2023 Maverick – FHEV/PHEV - 12V Battery Voltage Low Or Discharged With DTC U3003:62 Stored In The DC/DC
Some 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair equipped with 2.5L engine full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) powertrain and 2022-2023 Maverick vehicles equipped with 2.5L engine FHEV powertrain may exhibit a condition where the 12V battery voltage is low or discharged with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U3003:62 stored in the direct current/direct current converter control module (DC/DC). The vehicle may also exhibit DTC U3003:16 and/or U3000:04 stored in the DC/DC module. This may be due to an open in the 300 amp mega fuse located in the high current battery junction box (BJB). To correct this condition, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-05>Pinpoint Test H1 to verify the 300amp mega fuse condition, replace the fuse upon confirmation it is open. Test and recharge the 12v battery.
Thank you for sharing this information with us. My hybrid Maverick is currently at the dealership awaiting a new DC to DC converter with no ETA on when the parts will be available. It's getting harder and harder to remain patient and optimistic about being a Ford Maverick owner. Luckly Florida's lemon laws protect consumers facing these sorts of prolonged trips to the dealership.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Senior Master Ford Guy
Well, my truck has been at the dealer 3 days. dead battery every morning for a week.
They say it has a bad draw. They also say the battery is good. I don't know how when my charger won't charge it and it's been drawn down to 5 volts every day.
Anyhoo, I gave them the document in this thread, I have no idea if the fuse is being checked, maybe I'll find out today if they found anything.....
Man this sucks.
edit: forgot these error messages I got
high voltage battery warning - detected a fault in the high voltage electrical circuit.
and
powertrain malfunction, reduced power - powertrain control system has detected that the system power supply voltage is lower than desired.
Also, after the truck is parked for over an hour or so, if I go into the garage it will start clicking relays and making other strange noises EVEN with NO KEY near it. Very weird.
Sponsored

Last edited: