kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I considered a Ranger when I first started looking at a maverick to order back in 2021. The Ranger with a decent mid range XLT option pkg was just too close to the price of an F150 to me and I didn't really need the size of either. The maverick ended up being more suitable for our household and substantially more affordable. They are nice though. One thing I noticed was the rear seat space seemed to me to be fairly equal if not a bit less than the Maverick as well.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
SAS? Solid axle swap?

Why couldn’t a ranger get 30mpg? There’s rumors that it will get a hybrid option for 2024
The F-150 Hybrid is rated at 24 mpg combined driving (4x4) - unlikely that a Ranger hybrid will increase efficiency more than 30% over that number based on aero alone.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will be interested in it as well. From what I'm hearing/seeing though the rear seat doesn't have any additional legroom compared to the current one. It seems the Maverick has more, so the Ranger has a lot to live up to compared to the Maverick from my eyes.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gonna be honest, I would have gotten the current Ranger if it wasn't so hideous. The upcoming one finally brings it in line with the rest of Ford's truck styling and the Ranger is finally a suitable alternative for those that want a real truck but don't want to pay F-150 prices.

As I've often said, the Maverick is an SUV with a truck bed mostly aimed at people who never owned a truck before. The Ranger is the true, base-model truck from Ford.

That said, I'm not getting out of this line to go wait in another one. But if the dealer called tomorrow to offer me a 2024 Ranger with CP360A in lieu of my Maverick, I'd jump without hesitation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The F-150 Hybrid is rated at 24 mpg combined driving (4x4) - unlikely that a Ranger hybrid will increase efficiency more than 30% over that number based on aero alone.
And since Ford does not make a longitudal engine eCVT, it will probably be a light hybrid like the F150.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
I believe Ford will keep the Ranger for at least another decade or so. As others had mentioned, the Ranger can tow, haul, and cross more terrain than it's Maverick equivalent. The Maverick, however, beats the Ranger in fuel economy, cabin comfort, and compactness. The Ranger, especially the Raptor, is essentially the Bronco truck. If Ford ever axed the Ranger, it would because the Tronco is coming.

Also, I disagree with others that a hybrid or PHEV Ranger is unlikely and/or doesn't make sense. Look at the PowerBoost hybrid F-150 for example. The slight mpg increase (which isn't bad for a non-diesel half ton) is the secondary benefit to the PowerBoost powertrain. What's the PowerBoost's main draw? Onboard power! Now imagine the onboard power benefit on a Ranger, especially for those with either the off road oriented packages (FX4, Tremor, Rattler, etc.). I seriously think Ford should make the PowerBoost a powertrain in all the trucks plus the Expedition, even if mpg savings are minimal. Ford most likely won't as they haven't finished their battery factory yet and probably want to keep as much battery resource as they can directed to EVs until then.

So in the meantime, I'll just be sitting here waiting for an AWD hybrid Maverick.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm intrigued by the new Ranger. It looks super sharp, especially in Raptor form. I do want to look at it in person when it comes out but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to get one. I know for a fact pricing is gonna be steep on these considering it's a mid-size body-on-frame pickup and it's fully redesigned. Any time a redesign comes there's guaranteed to be price increases. I bet a base or mid-trim Ranger is gonna be the same price as a fully-loaded Maverick. This is the main reason why I still want to hold onto my Maverick. It's the perfect size and will definitely have superior ride quality and fuel economy than the Ranger. Also it will be better value. I'd much rather have the fully-loaded Maverick as I do instead of a mid-trim Ranger. That's taking a step backwards. But I do want to look at it just out of curiosity.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I would rather have the new ZR2…
An excellent choice, for $65K. Which is what kept me from buying one of the midsize trucks. I just can't let go of the idea that I had a nicely trimmed Ram for $34K. That much coin for a midsize truck is just so painful

Sponsored

Saxapl

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are too much, no doubt about that. I did not buy the Maverick because of price, instead size. But there is clearly room in the market for a bare bones off roader like wrangler used to be. ZR2 is just damn good…even though it is damn expensive.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

2024 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4WD w/ Tow - Cactus w/ a nice looking Stone Interior That's all you need... I bet it can be had for $38,500.

2024 Maverick XLT Crew Cab 4WD w/ 4KTow - Cactus w/ the tired ugly Blue Jean Interior. I bet it will be had for $30,500.

Can't just look at the $8k difference. By my descriptions, they seem to be the same truck. Until you start to see what a Ranger XLT looks like compared to a Maverick XLT... (allot of stuff is built in Ranger XLT that becomes extra packages in Maverick) And what a Ranger w/ Tow is capable of compared to a Maverick w/ 4K Tow. And then see what is included in Ranger 4WD compared to Maverick AWD (e.g. Ranger tow hooks - which are a whole other package in Maverick).

You'd have to option out a Maverick a bit more to equal what is available in the simple XLT Crew Cab 4WD w/ Tow of the Ranger. Granted, my assumptions are a MY2024 Ranger XLT will be as well equipped as a MY2023 Ranger XLT... That may or may not be accurate. Sometimes end of line vehicles are sweetend with extra content to garner sales.. I guess we'll see.

If I'm looking at MY2024 offerings for replacing both my CRV and my Frontier with one vehicle... I'll have to ask myself a question:

Am I looking at something that is more of a replacement for the CRV.. then that favors Maverick... Am I looking for something that is more of a replacement for the Frontier.. then that might favor Ranger.

Presently, I favor the Maverick... and yes.. It's the $8K difference, even if it isn't exactly apples to apples.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is never getting a ladder frame, and won't tow 7,000 lbs.
The Maverick doesn't need a ladder frame and 7k is not out of the question. It's only 3k more than current. The Maverick already has the HP and torque to do it. Upgrade to a beefier version of the same transmission (which already exists) and add a little more cooling and it could do it just fine. The Jeep Cherokee can do it with a unibody just fine. In the 1990s people would have said an F150 will never be able to tow 14k either.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The base 2023 Ranger is 5 grand more than the Maverick for a supercab, 2 grand more for supercrew. Expect the 2024 to be unobtainium like the Maverick & cost more.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did a Build & Price on 2023 Ranger about 1 month ago. I only want XL SCab w/6' bed- base MSRP on that is $27,400.00. I added the following packages:

XL 101A
Bed Utility Package
FX2 Package
STX Appearance Package
Trailer Tow Package
Package TOTAL = $4845.00

I also selected rear seat delete ($0) and removed Auto Start-Stop (-$50)

Destination was +$1495.00

Grand Total before taxes, docs, etc. = $33,740.00
Sponsored