Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Oil sprayed UP says a turbo was leaking and spraying the oil from too much crankcase pressure. Too much oil, wrong oil, restriction in oil journals....If I were to see smoke from under the hood I'd call triple A.
Except at this point, oil would be leaking by the impeller seal and he would have been rolling Blue Coal😉
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sorry for your loss but...it blowed up real good.

Note to ecoboasters, I could have made a comment about how glad I am to have bought a hybrid...but I didn't. 😛
At least we can stay warm while we're on the side of the road. You guys can't even do that with the wiring harness issues. 😉

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Think about what would have to take place for crankcase pressure to reach such a high level!
A hole in a piston, broken ring, scuffed cylinder wall……
A major knock event most likely would have led up to this type of failure or possibly excessive oil consumption causing the cylinder wall scuffing. On a newer vehicle.

Last edited:

WhiteMaverick12

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What has your insurance company said?

Sponsored

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On May 24 around 2pm on a sunny day at San Bernardino my Maverick truck unexpectedly caught on fire and explodes after it was leaking oil in the engine area. My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin. Being a 2021 build and one of the few first owner of my wonderful truck, I’m still is a dazed on why my truck did this. I never had any issues and my truck build and was very reliable.

On May 24 my truck started to smoke on a mountain pass and I pulled over and popped the hood open. Oil was dripping off the ceiling of the hood but it was a small amount. So I turned around and that’s when the check engine light started to blink. No warning of the truck dashboard was advertised but only the change oil soon did since it was due for an oil change. I made it to a gas station and the smoke was minimal so I purchase a couple quarts and filled one quart in. I keep a funnel in the cubbies space of the engine bay . (In the fender wall) . Drove the Maverick to an empty parking lot so I can get it towed due to the smoke was getting heavy. As I parked the Maverick the cabin was filled with smoke and that’s when we decided to bail out of the Maverick and that when we saw fire erupting out of the outside of the windshield . As we ran away from the burning Maverick it exploded 3 times.

Oddly after the event I found my funnel about 15 ft away of My Maverick , my prize and joy never had an issue. Why did this happened??? We would almost became the few first fatality of Ford Maverick wonder but unpredictable 2.0 eco boost truck. I’m lost in words regarding of the incident. Is this a serious issue that will soon follow for future Maverick owners ?!?

IMG_0002.png
Curious why you keep an oil funnel in the engine bay? Were you adding oil alot? And sorry for your misfortune!
On May 24 around 2pm on a sunny day at San Bernardino my Maverick truck unexpectedly caught on fire and explodes after it was leaking oil in the engine area. My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin. Being a 2021 build and one of the few first owner of my wonderful truck, I’m still is a dazed on why my truck did this. I never had any issues and my truck build and was very reliable.

On May 24 my truck started to smoke on a mountain pass and I pulled over and popped the hood open. Oil was dripping off the ceiling of the hood but it was a small amount. So I turned around and that’s when the check engine light started to blink. No warning of the truck dashboard was advertised but only the change oil soon did since it was due for an oil change. I made it to a gas station and the smoke was minimal so I purchase a couple quarts and filled one quart in. I keep a funnel in the cubbies space of the engine bay . (In the fender wall) . Drove the Maverick to an empty parking lot so I can get it towed due to the smoke was getting heavy. As I parked the Maverick the cabin was filled with smoke and that’s when we decided to bail out of the Maverick and that when we saw fire erupting out of the outside of the windshield . As we ran away from the burning Maverick it exploded 3 times.

Oddly after the event I found my funnel about 15 ft away of My Maverick , my prize and joy never had an issue. Why did this happened??? We would almost became the few first fatality of Ford Maverick wonder but unpredictable 2.0 eco boost truck. I’m lost in words regarding of the incident. Is this a serious issue that will soon follow for future Maverick owners ?!?

IMG_0002.png
Curious why you kept an oil funnel in the engine bay? We're You adding oil regularly? Sorry for your misfortune!

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow I can't believe some people are okay with and trying to get him to make a fraudulent claim with his insurance. Delete? Lol i can guarantee its been screenshot and forwarded to Ford. The OP should have never driven the truck when he noticed it smoking. 100% his fault.

Ellebob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think a lot of people are being critical of your decisions and not everybody is mechanically inclined. To a lot of people, if they see oil leaking they would think oh I need to add oil. The people with more automotive knowledge know that oil should not be on the hood or that much oil is not normal. This is also not a normal situation. Most people have probably never even had an oil leak of any type unless they drive a Subaru. So they see oil and think it needs oil.

I would bet, all of us have made stupid mistakes at some time in our lives that the outcome could have turned out a lot worse. But we did something not having the knowledge to handle the situation properly. Give the guy a break.

I'm sorry you lost your Maverick and grateful it wasn't worse. I am glad everyone is okay and that is the most important part!

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i don’t recall receiving a letter for that issue? Very odd statement
First of all, condolences on the loss of your truck and thank the Lord you guys got out safely.
There was a recall on the Maverick regarding the possibility of gas fumes accumulating in the engine compartment. The "fix" was to drill holes in the bottom pan to dissipate the fumes. Seems like a half-ass fix to me, but I digress. The member's statement is not odd, but in fact, point on.

Sponsored

FunctionSpec

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick HYBRID XLT LuxPkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad you and the family are safe. Thank you for sharing your story. Sorry you are getting beat down when you're down already. People act like they know how to handle a situation they've never been in.

Honestly, truck would have probably caught on fire either way when you first stopped at the mountain pass. Oil dripping onto a hot exhaust manifold would have eventually ignited. Or not, but who the hell knows?? Dry brush on a San Bernardino mountain pass would have caught on fire too. Thank you for making an attempt to get to a safer area.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Im gonna skip the 3 pages of interogating this guy.

I offer my condolenses for your beautiful truck. Sorry it happened. I know this stuff gets scary. I had a vehicle flame up when I was in it aswell. Mine was 40 years old and leaked a tranny line onto the exhaust. Glad you are safe.

Now I do believe you may have missed a recall notice. There were multiple early Maverick oil related recalls. Drilling drain holes, removing grill shutters, and even a O-ring replacement were some of the points of interest. I would contact your dealer and ask them about this. It could have a effect on your insurance claims, if they missed it, you could be entitled to compensation of some sort.

As for the issue of driving with the oil leaking that much. Im an old school guy and have a very mechanical and dynamic analytic mind. I tend to think through risks and assess them pretty accurately. On an older car, non turbo, that much oil leakage would be a concern and alot of rag dabbing would be in order. Of course I would check the exhaust to make sure the oil isnt soaking it. On a turbo car, exhaust temperatures are much hotter aswell as other areas of the engine bay. Also turbos may or may not be plumbed into the oiling system. If the system is low on oil at all the turbo and exhaust will get even hotter. This can cause a catastrophic fire, as soon as that fire breaches the fuel system its game over. This is your explosions. This is where people die.

If there was enough oil to reach the underside of the hood at that point it was soaked around the engine. I understand the need to get somewhere safe etc. but really if you absolutely had to drive somewhere I would have waited atleast 20 min for the exhaust and turbo to cool a little, then drove at very conservative speeds to the nearest safe area. At that point a further inspection of the oil situation would have prompted your tow truck call.

This is all hindsight of course, and the odds of this ever happening to you again are very slim. But I just want to encourage every one in this age of ever increasing brain strain, to think things through. If you try to analyze something and reach a point of confusion, SEEK HELP! Call a car buddy, call a parent, call any expert for any situation. No shame in asking for help.
The bolded item is only for Hybrids, not EB.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

First of all, condolences on the loss of your truck and thank the Lord you guys got out safely.
There was a recall on the Maverick regarding the possibility of gas fumes accumulating in the engine compartment. The "fix" was to drill holes in the bottom pan to dissipate the fumes. Seems like a half-ass fix to me, but I digress. The member's statement is not odd, but in fact, point on.
Dad I believe this just for Hybrids, not EB

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think a lot of people are being critical of your decisions and not everybody is mechanically inclined. To a lot of people, if they see oil leaking they would think oh I need to add oil. The people with more automotive knowledge know that oil should not be on the hood or that much oil is not normal. This is also not a normal situation. Most people have probably never even had an oil leak of any type unless they drive a Subaru. So they see oil and think it needs oil.

I would bet, all of us have made stupid mistakes at some time in our lives that the outcome could have turned out a lot worse. But we did something not having the knowledge to handle the situation properly. Give the guy a break.

I'm sorry you lost your Maverick and grateful it wasn't worse. I am glad everyone is okay and that is the most important part!
Don't simplify this, there is a difference between needing oil and seeing oiling on the hood from bring sprayed there.

wblynch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn’t know Mavericks were made by Tesla
Sponsored