Sponsored

Did your Maverick catch on fire or Suffer Engine Failure?

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's call out some of the speculation around the Maverick Fire Risk recall and the Engine Failure question
Please let us know:

Has your Maverick caught fire?
Has your Maverick suffered a catastrophic engine failure - like a crank failure puncturing your engine.
Please show pictures if you have any.

I have personally not suffered any of this on my Maverick XLT Hybrid. And I bet it's practically not heard of except for the few already documented around the web - one looked on fire, the other that looked like a broken crank? Are there any more?
Sponsored

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, is fine.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing of that nature for sure. only issue I have had with my Maverick (hybrid) is the low speed brake issue, where it locks up at 3-5 MPH when making a gentle stop/slowing down.

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine is hot enough to catch on fire! :cool:

FE Hyb. 710

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Let's call out some of the speculation around the Maverick Fire Risk recall and the Engine Failure question
Please let us know:

Has your Maverick caught fire?
Has your Maverick suffered a catastrophic engine failure - like a crank failure puncturing your engine.
Please show pictures if you have any.

I have personally not suffered any of this on my Maverick XLT Hybrid. And I bet it's practically not heard of except for the few already documented around the web - one looked on fire, the other that looked like a broken crank? Are there any more?
Zero problems after 2,300 miles on my hybrid.

Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Did your Maverick catch on fire or Suffer Engine Failure? A2FB9F36-96D1-44E1-815D-2CE69DBD5B91

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. Mine only looks like it’s on fire. 🔥😉
Six months, and three thousand miles of sweet satisfaction. 👍

RussellP IL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav hybrid. 20 escape hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i had an external temp sensor go bad...without ac for a week, i was on fire. but the xlt eb was a cool area 51 blue

Sponsored

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was looking up an earlier recall on the crankshaft issue. (i'm not sure if it's this one or that is similar for 2021 Hybrid for the Escape, Corsair "Part 573 Safety Recall Report" but in that one 23 crankshafts missed a polishing process, which wound up in a possible 200 engines. Seems like a preemptive recall that addresses the build up of fluids in the event there is a failure, which could result in a fire.

So I'm thinking just because you have a recall to allow these fluids to escape and alter the cooling of the engine compartment doesn't necessarily mean you have a crankshaft that wasn't properly polished. So I'm thinking the failure rate is probably pretty small? I would like to see more pinpointing of actual failures and get an idea of how many miles one that isn't polished right goes before failing and what happens if it gets out of warranty. I am guessing there will be more details as time goes on.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How many of you are familiar with the accident chain? It's a term used in aviation where a bunch of things have to all combine to end up with an accident. Remove one of those things and the accident doesn't happen.

From reading this thread, we need to have the following things:
  • Engine failure
  • Metal fragments from the engine failure puncturing protective material
  • Oil and gas leaking through that puncture
  • Hot exhaust system igniting the fluids
Essentially, someone would have to have extremely bad luck for all of those things to happen. It's like worrying about a metal beam falling and hitting your head as you walk by a construction site. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely to? No.

Just get the repair done by the dealership when your recall letter arrives and stop stressing about it in the meantime.

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You dont have to wait for the recall letter that is going out 8-8, you can schedule repair now.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How many of you are familiar with the accident chain? It's a term used in aviation where a bunch of things have to all combine to end up with an accident. Remove one of those things and the accident doesn't happen.
Uncontained engine failure plus flammable/explosive environment?

I was hoping for a bilge blower and fire-suppression system, but I'll probably just get a holesaw through the underbody aero-shield that will whistle in the slipstream and some grill-shutter vanes removed.

Seriously, I have over 8000 miles on mine now, I changed the oil last week. Mine was dry, the shield had no stains or drips whatsoever.

Not worried at the moment, truck is doing great!
It will be inconvenient if the 12V cable issue bites me, but hopefully not.
Sponsored