First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On May 24 around 2pm on a sunny day at San Bernardino my Maverick truck unexpectedly caught on fire and explodes after it was leaking oil in the engine area. My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin. Being a 2021 build and one of the few first owner of my wonderful truck, I’m still is a dazed on why my truck did this. I never had any issues and my truck build and was very reliable.

On May 24 my truck started to smoke on a mountain pass and I pulled over and popped the hood open. Oil was dripping off the ceiling of the hood but it was a small amount. So I turned around and that’s when the check engine light started to blink. No warning of the truck dashboard was advertised but only the change oil soon did since it was due for an oil change. I made it to a gas station and the smoke was minimal so I purchase a couple quarts and filled one quart in. I keep a funnel in the cubbies space of the engine bay . (In the fender wall) . Drove the Maverick to an empty parking lot so I can get it towed due to the smoke was getting heavy. As I parked the Maverick the cabin was filled with smoke and that’s when we decided to bail out of the Maverick and that when we saw fire erupting out of the outside of the windshield . As we ran away from the burning Maverick it exploded 3 times.

Oddly after the event I found my funnel about 15 ft away of My Maverick , my prize and joy never had an issue. Why did this happened??? We would almost became the few first fatality of Ford Maverick wonder but unpredictable 2.0 eco boost truck. I’m lost in words regarding of the incident. Is this a serious issue that will soon follow for future Maverick owners ?!?

Ford Maverick My Ford Maverick EcoBoost caught on fire and exploded!!! 🔥 IMG_0002
Sponsored

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You added more engine oil when it was clearly leaking all over the hood and smoking from the hood? No wonder it caught fire, the leaking oil probably caught onto something that caused it to flash. Glad you and your family are OK in the end, but I would have immediately stopped operating the vehicle if I noticed oil was leaking and smoking from the hood when opening it and called a tow truck.

BoricuaBeautyx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tatiana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On May 24 around 2pm on a sunny day at San Bernardino my Maverick truck unexpectedly caught on fire and explodes after it was leaking oil in the engine area. My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin. Being a 2021 build and one of the few first owner of my wonderful truck, I’m still is a dazed on why my truck did this. I never had any issues and my truck build and was very reliable.

On May 24 my truck started to smoke on a mountain pass and I pulled over and popped the hood open. Oil was dripping off the ceiling of the hood but it was a small amount. So I turned around and that’s when the check engine light started to blink. No warning of the truck dashboard was advertised but only the change oil soon did since it was due for an oil change. I made it to a gas station and the smoke was minimal so I purchase a couple quarts and filled one quart in. I keep a funnel in the cubbies space of the engine bay . (In the fender wall) . Drove the Maverick to an empty parking lot so I can get it towed due to the smoke was getting heavy. As I parked the Maverick the cabin was filled with smoke and that’s when we decided to bail out of the Maverick and that when we saw fire erupting out of the outside of the windshield . As we ran away from the burning Maverick it exploded 3 times.

Oddly after the event I found my funnel about 15 ft away of My Maverick , my prize and joy never had an issue. Why did this happened??? We would almost became the few first fatality of Ford Maverick wonder but unpredictable 2.0 eco boost truck. I’m lost in words regarding of the incident. Is this a serious issue that will soon follow for future Maverick owners ?!?

IMG_0002.png
This is terrifying! I own an ecoboost but seeing this is nerve-wracking. I'm so happy you guys made it out safe! Very close call...

OP
OP
Sirslayer

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You added more engine oil when it was clearly leaking all over the hood and smoking from the hood? No wonder it caught fire, the leaking oil probably caught onto something that caused it to flash. Glad you and your family are OK in the end, but I would have immediately stopped operating the vehicle if I noticed oil was leaking on the hood when opening it and called a tow truck.
Yes , I agree but being at a crowed gas station moving the Maverick to a empty parking lot to get towed prevented a major catastrophe

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sirslayer

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you have the recall done where they drilled holes to make sure there is enough drainage in case of oil leaks? I think it was issue to address this issue.
i don’t recall receiving a letter for that issue? Very odd statement

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is an isolated event, not the start of an issue for other owners. There were warning signs before the worst happened. The truck tried to warn you and in the end it tried to save you and the lives of your family. Extremely unfortunate day but one everyone survived. Oil and gas are flammable. If either is leaking... the potential for this is dargerously high. Hopefully the cause is determined and you will share it with us. Again, I think this is a isolated incident and not an issue with faulty engineering.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is sad and I am sorry for you.
But look at the bright side-

A blue / black / white tri-tone paint job would look awesome on your next one.

Hopefully insurance can help you now.

Best wishes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sirslayer

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is an isolated evrnt, not the start of an issue for other owners. There were warning signs before the worst happened. The truck tried to warn you and in the end it tried to save you and the lives of your family. Extremely unfortunaye day but one everyone survived. Oil and gas are flammable. If either is leaking... the potential for this us dargerously high. Hopefully the cause is determined and you will share it with us. Again, i think this is an isolated incident and not an issue with faulty engineering.
i don’t know if it’s an isolated incident but being the few first owner, I hope this will open Ford eyes and do a safety recall due to being a new class of vehicle. A new truck shouldn’t catch on fire. Being 50 years old I had many vehicles and I thought I’ve seen it all

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Me either. Sounds silly
Did you have the recall done where they drilled holes to make sure there is enough drainage in case of oil leaks? I think it was issue to address this issue.
i don’t recall receiving a letter for that issue? Very odd statement
This is a real thing.
The Maverick aerodynamic underbelly panels were so air tight they were determined to be able to trap fuel vapors or liquids this coupled with the air shutters in the radiator area, so they removed some shutters too for guaranteed air flow.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Man that is sad and I want to have sympathy but writing - . "My family and I narrowly escaped the smoked filled cabin." No, the truth is the truck was driven until it caught on fire. There wasn't anything "narrow" about it. Smoke, idiot lights , oil on the hood - all these things scream call a tow truck. I'm really sorry it happened to you however driving a vehicle until something catastrophic happens ( eventually) isn't the total fault of the truck. Same thing I've told my teenagers when they don't put oil in their vehicle and eventually the motor blows up.
Sponsored