Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Did they really have to try and hide it if nobody told me it was a rattler I would just think they're driving around in a plane Maverick.
You have no idea what the final version will look like.. so you can't yet say it's just an FX4 w an extra decal..
Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think this is a fake rumor and nothing more then testing of the next Maverick FX4 package.
Nothing looks different or sticks out from the current Maverick FX4 model.
My .02 cents till Ford confirms a Maverick Rattler being tested.
According to Ford Authority back in February, Ford confirmed a more off-road variant of the Maverick was in the works..

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

what makes you think Ford hasn't done everything they possibly can to get each of those products to completion right now? Do you think they don't want to make profits from them yet?
No, they must be dropping the ball because my order is taking longer than I like. šŸ˜‰ Communication could definitely be better, though. Especially to dealers.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Given it is a Ford though, I think "rattler" is an awful marketing blender to pick for a name. It just really opens the whole thing up for a lot of jokes. I mean, I just ordered an XL and it's already going to be a rattler.
Seriously? Rattler? I hope my Maverick has no rattles, squeaks, thumps or creaks. šŸ˜’

Sponsored

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a fan of the paint job.
Lmao.
Bronco Sport Badlands has much better approach & departure angles, shorter wheelbase, better break-over. And best of all it doesn't have the exhaust routed under the rear end that everyone seems to think will get ripped off of their Maverick..

The Maverick Rattler can wear some of the same hardware (twin-clutch rear), but it simply won't fare as well off-road as it's cousin the Bronco Sport Badlands because of geometry.

This concept is fun and it will certainly sell, but the reality is that most who buy this model will just pound pavement with it.
Historically the longer wheelbase pick-up formfactor hasn't really taken away from off-roadability. There isn't that drastic a gap between the 4Runner and the Tacoma, if you ask me. Not to mention the inclusion of a bed, which will be sufficient in differentiating the two to potential buyers. As for pounding pavement; that argument can be made about every off-road vehicle ever made, honestly lol.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree with you. Like the guy that wrote he is going to wait until 2023 so all the bugs are worked out, I say fix the quality control issues before they all become rattlers. A former Air Force pilot once told me you never want to pilot "A" model planes. It's better to fly the B or C models. The A models were more likely to have scary moments. Of course I didn't listen to him and I'm waiting for my truck to be built.
Your pilot friend is right. The only reason I'm breaking that rule is because they used a tried and true drivetrain and likely most of the other components are off the shelf. I'm gonna hold on to this one for a few years (barring any disasters-knock wood), let Ford do their thing then see how it settles out.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's still affordable, just more options that are just that, optional.
It likely will be pushing $38-$42K with the Rattler package and at that point it's not affordable AND it won't be as capable as other off road specific models. If you watch a recent review of the 2022 Nissan Frontier ProX4 you'll see even the "off road" specific models are kidna crap for real off-road compared to better off road vehicles like the new Bronco or Gladiator.

The Maverick FX4 is as far as they needed to take it. It's really just marketing and looks after that and it may be a little more capable but not $10K worth.

You'd be better off buying a Maverick for $30K for the street and a older used truck for $10K that already has been modified for off roading.

Last edited:

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Rattlerā€¦shouldnā€™t it be a Grabber?
lolā€¦
so much conjecture over questionable pictures.
given what I see it still sits to low in the beak, and frontal approach is a questionable benefit with all that rear overhang.
cut the angle on the front just tempts someone to tear the rear bumper off trying something they have no business attempting in this platform.
What go up must come down, and all thatā€¦
Level it and lift it an inch or two is great but only if it doesnā€™t increase bump steer or contribute to body roll, with 4WHL IFS this can be tricky without a larger retrofit. Possible but not easy in some casesā€¦this might be why it looks low in the front(or it could be terrain/ camera angle).
The locking rear differential from the Bronco Sport would be a welcomed option and should have been on it already.
As much as I know they will offer something soon I ordered whatā€™s on the plate today.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford is not resting on the strong response to its Maverick pickup, and has begun testing a more off-road-focused prototype, as evidenced by this new prototype we spied.

Different Camo Catches Our Eye
This new prototype gets a fresh disguise treatmentā€”different from prior Maverickā€™s caught before it went official. Those earlier Maverick prototypes had graphic camo stretching into the roof pillars, while leaving the lower ground effects and bumpers undisguised. This new Maverick prototype has its bumpers and side sills fully camouflaged, while the graphic wrap stops just below the door handles.

New Off-Road-Focused Front Bumper
While all current Mavericks get traditional front bumpers, this prototype shows signs of a new front skid plate, and a design that promises a much better approach angle. What at first glance looks like a disguised bumper with a rather low front chin, looks phony upon closer examination. It appears that Ford's disguise artists have placed fake caps on the outer corners of the front bumper, to hide the new clearance-minded design treatment.

FX4-Based Prototype
This prototype has a visible FX4 sticker on the rear corners, and the visible independent rear suspension confirms that this Maverick is AWD.

Itā€™s too early to tell how deep Ford will go down the off-road rabbit hole on this Maverick prototype, but itā€™s clear that efforts are under way to keep the lineup fresh as it goes into its second year on sale. As we know, Ford trademarked the name ā€œRattlerā€, and many believe this new moniker is destined for a special-edition, more off-road capable Maverick. Weā€™re not sure of the name, or what else might be hiding beneath that camouflage, but Ford is clearly working on a special new Maverick variant to satisfy more adventurous customers.

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-1.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-2.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-3.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-4.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-5.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-6.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-7.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-8.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-9.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-10.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-11.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-12.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-13.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-14.jpg
Sure wish Ford would just deliver the products they already have orders for

Sponsored

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Lame

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
WAIT FOR ITā€¦.HERE COMES THE TWO QUESTIONSā€¦ā€¦1) IS IT A HYBRID? 2) DOES IT HAVE CRUISE CONTROL? Lol
How big of a water bottle will it hold?

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
According to Ford Authority back in February, Ford confirmed a more off-road variant of the Maverick was in the works..
Well if thatā€™s it, whoopdie do, it looks like the current FX4 Maverick. Doesnā€™t look like any renditionions of any Ford Raptor products Iā€™ve seen. Raptor Ranger, F150, the Bronco all are aggressive.
This looks like a regular FX4 Maverick with a very mild lift kit.
Not impressed.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think this is a fake rumor and nothing more then testing of the next Maverick FX4 package.
Nothing looks different or sticks out from the current Maverick FX4 model.
My .02 cents till Ford confirms a Maverick Rattler being tested.
Hmm what ifā€¦. What if Ford put FX package,AWD hybrid and didnā€™t tell anyone.? We can speculate until the release of the 2023 modelsā€¦. Me. I just donā€™t give a hoot.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid