First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford is not resting on the strong response to its Maverick pickup, and has begun testing a more off-road-focused prototype, as evidenced by this new prototype we spied.

Different Camo Catches Our Eye
This new prototype gets a fresh disguise treatment—different from prior Maverick’s caught before it went official. Those earlier Maverick prototypes had graphic camo stretching into the roof pillars, while leaving the lower ground effects and bumpers undisguised. This new Maverick prototype has its bumpers and side sills fully camouflaged, while the graphic wrap stops just below the door handles.

New Off-Road-Focused Front Bumper
While all current Mavericks get traditional front bumpers, this prototype shows signs of a new front skid plate, and a design that promises a much better approach angle. What at first glance looks like a disguised bumper with a rather low front chin, looks phony upon closer examination. It appears that Ford's disguise artists have placed fake caps on the outer corners of the front bumper, to hide the new clearance-minded design treatment.

FX4-Based Prototype
This prototype has a visible FX4 sticker on the rear corners, and the visible independent rear suspension confirms that this Maverick is AWD.

It’s too early to tell how deep Ford will go down the off-road rabbit hole on this Maverick prototype, but it’s clear that efforts are under way to keep the lineup fresh as it goes into its second year on sale. As we know, Ford trademarked the name “Rattler”, and many believe this new moniker is destined for a special-edition, more off-road capable Maverick. We’re not sure of the name, or what else might be hiding beneath that camouflage, but Ford is clearly working on a special new Maverick variant to satisfy more adventurous customers.

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-1.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-2.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-3.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-4.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-5.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-6.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-7.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-8.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-9.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-10.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-11.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-12.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-13.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-14.jpg
WAIT FOR IT….HERE COMES THE TWO QUESTIONS……1) IS IT A HYBRID? 2) DOES IT HAVE CRUISE CONTROL? Lol
Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the low speed shots, its pretty obviously lifted with an off-road bumper for better approach angle...probably has a proper locker in the rear....or at the very least, the clutched diff from the BS.

I wish Ford would announce this thing before my build is scheduled so I can make an informed decision.
I bet this version won’t be available for a while. It’s not like it is coming out in a few months.

futuremavowner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FORD should be concentrating ALL efforts and resources into speeding production of bronco, f150 lightning and maverick. 100k+ people are waiting on them and they spend time and money on this?
Agree 100%. Not only on getting production up to demand but concentrating on correcting the myriad of quality issues I’ve seen reported on this and other forums by actual owners. Vibrating hoods, faulty weather stripping, uneven panels, back seat latches, glitchy sync 3 screen, paint chipping and more. I love the look, efficiency and utility of this truck and am strongly considering ordering a Lariat Hybrid Lux when the 2023 book opens. I’d love to see these issues corrected, some seat color choices within the Lariat trim and a proper full size screen that eliminates the cubby. I come from a truck family growing up, but have never owned one. The Maverick size, economy, and utility is the exact formula to capture my business!

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the limited ability to actually make the Maverick a true offroader, it seems like just calling this "FX4 Pro" or something would be a better choice than trying to build all new branding.
I think it really depends what they're going for performance-wise. The Maverick is never going to be a rock crawler, but it actually has the potential to be a FS/BLM dirt and gravel road truck. Basically everything that disadvantages it as a rock crawler is advantageous there, so it's lighter weight, unibody, lower CoG, would all lend to it being really good in that application if set up appropriately. If you add good differentials and shocks that can handle the heat generated by frequent ruts/washboard at speed, it would be great fun. Basically a rough road rally car with a bed.

There isn't really a truck set up with that as it's bread and butter at the moment (the Raptor is pretty good at it, but it's CoG is much higher and it's set up for much bigger hits. Creating a new name for something in this category could make sense to me.

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
keep the lineup fresh as it goes into its second year on sale
Ouch, that hurts. 2nd year?!

Will MY22 orders (especially Hybrids) getting delayed be upgraded to Rattler at 0 cost? :p

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going to be lots of $$$ most likely erasing the “affordable truck” argument. I feel like that’s a waste for most people and the people that actually need a strong off road vehicle will likely be disappointed. A new Frontier Pro4x will probably run circles around it for off roading. Ford will make money though and people will buy them.
It's still affordable, just more options that are just that, optional.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
*Squints at picture*

I could have been right up close to that thing and not noticed anything different from a normal fx4 but the front end. I hope thats a realllllll early prototype of whatever they're building because otherwise its literally the same truck.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Given it is a Ford though, I think "rattler" is an awful marketing blender to pick for a name. It just really opens the whole thing up for a lot of jokes. I mean, I just ordered an XL and it's already going to be a rattler.
First thing I thought after reading about the improved approach angles was that unless they do something with the low-hanging exhaust, it will live up to its name.

Last edited:

jimmyu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the price that Ford would want for this, I would just get a base 2 door Bronco that would be a lot better for off roading. I’m drawn to the fuel economy of the Maverick.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Going to be lots of $$$ most likely erasing the “affordable truck” argument. I feel like that’s a waste for most people and the people that actually need a strong off road vehicle will likely be disappointed. A new Frontier Pro4x will probably run circles around it for off roading. Ford will make money though and people will buy them.
Not me! It's about the size!

If I wanted a mid-size, I'd rather get the new 2023 Ford Ranger Tremor than the Frontier FX4...

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
For the price that Ford would want for this, I would just get a base 2 door Bronco that would be a lot better for off roading. I’m drawn to the fuel economy of the Maverick.
Er, the Bronco doesn't have a bed..

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean if its just a front bumper/skid plate upgrade/slight lift/better tires and maybe a rear locker how much more could it be ?

Oakland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Given it is a Ford though, I think "rattler" is an awful marketing blender to pick for a name. It just really opens the whole thing up for a lot of jokes. I mean, I just ordered an XL and it's already going to be a rattler.
Agree with you. Like the guy that wrote he is going to wait until 2023 so all the bugs are worked out, I say fix the quality control issues before they all become rattlers. A former Air Force pilot once told me you never want to pilot "A" model planes. It's better to fly the B or C models. The A models were more likely to have scary moments. Of course I didn't listen to him and I'm waiting for my truck to be built.

Last edited:

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford is not resting on the strong response to its Maverick pickup, and has begun testing a more off-road-focused prototype, as evidenced by this new prototype we spied.

Different Camo Catches Our Eye
This new prototype gets a fresh disguise treatment—different from prior Maverick’s caught before it went official. Those earlier Maverick prototypes had graphic camo stretching into the roof pillars, while leaving the lower ground effects and bumpers undisguised. This new Maverick prototype has its bumpers and side sills fully camouflaged, while the graphic wrap stops just below the door handles.

New Off-Road-Focused Front Bumper
While all current Mavericks get traditional front bumpers, this prototype shows signs of a new front skid plate, and a design that promises a much better approach angle. What at first glance looks like a disguised bumper with a rather low front chin, looks phony upon closer examination. It appears that Ford's disguise artists have placed fake caps on the outer corners of the front bumper, to hide the new clearance-minded design treatment.

FX4-Based Prototype
This prototype has a visible FX4 sticker on the rear corners, and the visible independent rear suspension confirms that this Maverick is AWD.

It’s too early to tell how deep Ford will go down the off-road rabbit hole on this Maverick prototype, but it’s clear that efforts are under way to keep the lineup fresh as it goes into its second year on sale. As we know, Ford trademarked the name “Rattler”, and many believe this new moniker is destined for a special-edition, more off-road capable Maverick. We’re not sure of the name, or what else might be hiding beneath that camouflage, but Ford is clearly working on a special new Maverick variant to satisfy more adventurous customers.

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-1.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-2.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-3.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-4.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-5.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-6.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-7.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-8.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-9.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-10.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-11.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-12.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-13.jpg

ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-14.jpg
Sometimes I think auto companies Camo up vehicles to get free press. Mav just came out and this one does not have a different body so why the Camo? We are all talking thats why.
Sponsored