2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As I understand it you don't HAVE to plug in a PHEV. If you don't it will operate just like a regular hybrid. But if you have the ability to plug in you can drive full electric up to the limit of the battery. Typically 25 to 45 miles depending on model. So if your daily commute is 25 miles you can be all electric with recharging at home. And still have the ability to use gas on longer trips.
If you get 40mpg and gas is $3 your cost is .075 per mile, with electric it is on average .0388 per mile or about half. And that average includes a lot of older EV's that are not as efficient. Gas @ $5 takes your cost per mile to .125 or 3 times the cost of electric. And if you have solar your electric cost is minimal or zero.
PHEV are not for everyone but in some use cases really save you money. Of course they are also almost always heavier and more expensive so that has to be calculated in as well.
I have excess solar right now so a PHEV would have nearly zero fuel cost for my daily use.
You are over simplifying Solar and cost, there are soooo many variables that goes into cost of ownership for a PHEV.

But if you have a 24-mile commute (like me) and your PHEV has a 35 miles range, then in theory you should be all elec, but weather plays a huge part of the range, I know many PHEV powers and for the most part, they use it has a Hybrid, and still plug it in at night.
Sponsored

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
On the PHEV topic: As the owner of of a PHEV (2013 Chevy Volt) I have three comments. First, if you live in a colder climate, the gas engine is used to warm the battery pack so you burn gas in the Winter months even if you drive within the battery only range. Second, stop geeking out with the savings calculations. How much you might or might not save is heavily dependent on driving conditions. Last, if the PHEV system is set up right, so that the electric motor is the primary drive, you get the fun factor of a pure electric vehicle. By that I mean instant torque and zippy acceleration.

For my driving, I go months without buying gas. I just plug in and charge overnight. That's true even though I'm only rated for 35 miles of battery only range.

I'm going to have to wait on the PHEV version. I can't give up going months on one tank of gas. But really, I can't give up the EV like acceleration.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are over simplifying Solar and cost, there are soooo many variables that goes into cost of ownership for a PHEV.
Agreed. For me I have extra solar that is being returned to the power company for free, so its a no brainer. Either a BEV or a PHEV will work well for my use case. But everyone has to do the calculations for their specific situation. For those with a relatively short commute and access to solar a PHEV can make sense, for others maybe not so much considering the higher initial cost.
I think the allure of a PHEV is that you get a lot of choice: acts like a BEV for short commutes, acts like a hybrid for longer ones. I have not looked to see if PHEV mileage is any different than a regular hybrid, the increased weight might be a negative factor.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Agreed. For me I have extra solar that is being returned to the power company for free, so its a no brainer. Either a BEV or a PHEV will work well for my use case. But everyone has to do the calculations for their specific situation. For those with a relatively short commute and access to solar a PHEV can make sense, for others maybe not so much considering the higher initial cost.
I think the allure of a PHEV is that you get a lot of choice: acts like a BEV for short commutes, acts like a hybrid for longer ones. I have not looked to see if PHEV mileage is any different than a regular hybrid, the increased weight might be a negative factor.
The difference between PHEV and Hybrid is battery size, the commute makes the difference, if you can run your entire commute on battery OR have access to a charging facility at work a PHEV would be the way to go.

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd absolutely love a PHEV AWD Maverick. I wouldn't be interested in just a FWD, which is why I went with an Ecoboost (after 3yrs of driving a pure BEV at that).
I would jump on getting an AWD Hybrid Maverick. Not so sure I’d want a PHEV version however…. just my opinion.
It's really a use case thing.

If we use the math from the 2022 Escape PHEV, it's rated at 38mi and 14.4kWh, so it uses around 380w/mi. At an average cost of $0.13/kWh, you'd be paying about 5 cents per mile. At just $5/gal, you'd need to get 100mpg to be equal to that.

With a 13kWh battery and the size of a Maverick, you'd probably have closer to a low 30mi range, which for most folks would be a pretty significant amount of their daily driving. So most drivers could run on cheap electricity vs expensive fuel, and then when they want to go further, the gas engine will take over.

My mom has a 2018 Chevy Volt with like 110K on it and that car has been a dream. It gets 42mpg @ 80mph, and it gets 40-60mi/charge (40-45 in the winter, 55-60 in the summer) which works for most of her driving even in a rural area where her (SMALL) city is 10mi one way, and the bigger city is 20mi one way.

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just need a quick retro-fit of the off-road bumper and higher mounted inter-cooler. I am sure it will be easy :(

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd absolutely love a PHEV AWD Maverick. I wouldn't be interested in just a FWD, which is why I went with an Ecoboost (after 3yrs of driving a pure BEV at that).
It's really a use case thing.

If we use the math from the 2022 Escape PHEV, it's rated at 38mi and 14.4kWh, so it uses around 380w/mi. At an average cost of $0.13/kWh, you'd be paying about 5 cents per mile. At just $5/gal, you'd need to get 100mpg to be equal to that.

With a 13kWh battery and the size of a Maverick, you'd probably have closer to a low 30mi range, which for most folks would be a pretty significant amount of their daily driving. So most drivers could run on cheap electricity vs expensive fuel, and then when they want to go further, the gas engine will take over.

My mom has a 2018 Chevy Volt with like 110K on it and that car has been a dream. It gets 42mpg @ 80mph, and it gets 40-60mi/charge (40-45 in the winter, 55-60 in the summer) which works for most of her driving even in a rural area where her (SMALL) city is 10mi one way, and the bigger city is 20mi one way.
As I wrote up thread, a person's commute makes a difference, right now (summer) I'm averaging 50 MPG in my Hybrid Maverick, it is 12 miles one way, and the truck uses about 6.5 miles of EV, in the spring, my MPG to work is 61, with 7.5 miles EV. If the Maverick PHEV gets the 14.1 KW/H battery, I would be able to travel RT on pure EV. Now some of your calculations would vary if work had charge ports, and with the Infrastructure bill passing, we might see more chargers at work. This would be a huge change for all PHEV.

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The box is to confuse. A test vehicle would never go out with something attached to the side where it could be grabbed. Internally you have all kinds of stuff hanging on a vehicle but out the gate is a no no. Been there done that.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Their speculation isn’t really saying much beyond what was already deducted on the forum.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Their speculation isn’t really saying much beyond what was already deducted on the forum.
The forum is the one true voice!

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I also just realized that the volume of that black box could be approx. 2.1 liters. It is on the same side as the fuel tank and any fuel tank would need multiple lines going in and out. Just a theory. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great. Another truck Ford won’t be able to fulfill orders for.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting, may have to kick my awd ecoboost order to the curb.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

But if you have a 24-mile commute (like me) and your PHEV has a 35 miles range, then in theory you should be all elec, but weather plays a huge part of the range, I know many PHEV powers and for the most part, they use it has a Hybrid, and still plug it in at night.

I have 2 thoughts on this - (plug in's - I love them. I love the idea)

1) I wonder if the Plugins deep cycle the HVB enough to wear it out faster than on the traditional hybrid - or even a much larger EV that has a lot more capacity for abuse.

2) If we all think 25-45 Miles from an EV is just about all we need - then why are we sweating so much with other EV's that ONLY go 250 or 500 miles... ( My own range anxiety is that it's a hassle to charge on the road somewhere - If that's really a thing these days )
Sponsored