Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Lariat
Ford 'Rattler' trademark application hints at a Maverick off-roader

It could be a performance-oriented version not to be confused with Raptor

Jul 2nd 2021 at 6:45AM

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Roading model hinted by trademark application? Ford-Maverick_2L-EcoBoost-AWD_Lariat_011

Ford has filed for a yet another trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. This time, it's for the name "Rattler," and the filing covers usage in the category of "motor vehicles, namely, automobiles, pick-up trucks, electric vehicles, sport utility vehicles, off-road vehicles, and their structural parts."

The application was discovered by CarBuzz, who posits that the name could be a variant of the new Maverick compact pickup. We think that's a good guess, as Ford seems rather protective of the name Raptor.

The Maverick, a unibody truck with 2.0-liter Ecoboost engine, probably is not likely to have the same off-road chops as the F-150-based Raptor, so if there's a performance version of the Maverick — and why not, people can't seem to get enough of them — it'll likely go by another name as to not dilute Raptor.

Rattler, then, seems like a strong candidate. It has a similar sound to Raptor. Both are reptilian. Rattler, meaning rattlesnake, has an Old West ring to it that goes hand in hand with Maverick, but isn't higher up on the food chain than a raptor.

So far, we know about Maverick trim levels that range from the base XL front-drive 2.5-liter hybrid starting at $21,490 including a $1,495 destination fee, a middle-tier XLT that adds slightly more features for $23,775, and a luxury-oriented Lariat trim that starts at $26,085. Seems like their could be room for a sport or performance-minded version.

Ford has been collecting trademarks, seemingly all for variants of its trucks and crossovers. There's the rumored return of the Ranger Splash, Explorer Timberline, and a chimera of two unrelated animals, the Bronco Warthog. Come to think of it, maverick, which means an unbranded calf, doesn't have much in common with a snake, either.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/02/ford-rattler-trademark-application/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Come on Ford, let's toss in the 2.3T for some performance spec or a higher tuned 2.0T, from the factory.

The "Rattler" nameplate could be fun and kind of fits the Maverick in my opinion - small, yet packs an unsuspecting bite.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Come on Ford, let's toss in the 2.3T for some performance spec or a higher tuned 2.0T, from the factory.

The "Rattler" nameplate could be fun and kind of fits the Maverick in my opinion - small, yet packs an unsuspecting bite.
Dang a 2.3L in the Maverick would be a blast. The way it moves my Ranger is amazing. I can't imagine what it would do with less weight. Even without a tune the Maverick would be a screamer.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Dang a 2.3L in the Maverick would be a blast. The way it moves my Ranger is amazing. I can't imagine what it would do with less weight. Even without a tune the Maverick would be a screamer.
Indeed. This product appears to have such a broad appeal. Ford's decision to discontinue sales of sedans and sport compact sedans, to include ST and RS variants, leaves some of those Ford enthusiasts in the dark. Hopefully they come up with something in the near future based on the Maverick to fill that void.

Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This could be the variant I'm waiting for. I basically want a practical rally car for the thousands of miles of happy dirt roads around me. A performance Maverick might be just the ticket.

The One

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2015 Mustang Ecoboost converti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Umm, Ford's bringing back the "Rattler". My first truck was a '79 Ford F-250 with like a million miles on the odo. That thing would "rattle" just looking at it. :)
Using the name Rattler will leave open for being the but of jokes.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Using the name Rattler will leave open for being the but of jokes.
Honk-honk, rattle-rattle, crash, beep-beep...

Surely at least one person out there will remember the old, playful "Hunk of Tin" song.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah!!!! Makes my decision to delay my order a no brainer. Come on Honda Civic give me another 20,000 miles.

HYENA13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Playing off the mustang lineage, I think they should call this the Mountain Mule variant. it's small. it hauls. kicks when it's gotta.. :LOL:
Or since its smaller than Ranger: Scout

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Playing off the mustang lineage, I think they should call this the Mountain Mule variant. it's small. it hauls. kicks when it's gotta.. :LOL:
Or since its smaller than Ranger: Scout
I wonder if naming an off-road vehicle "Scout" might run afoul of some licensing issues with the old International Scout?
Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Roading model hinted by trademark application? 1971-80-International-Scout-II-6

HYENA13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if naming an off-road vehicle "Scout" might run afoul of some licensing issues with the old International Scout?
1971-80-International-Scout-II-6.jpg
great point

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Rattler is perfect. A nice cold blooded creature. "Don't Tread On Me!" "United We Stand, Divided We Fall!" come to mind. Plus I got a bunch of beer drinking rattlesnake tales. Most are true.

Side Note: Current Raptors are warm blooded birds. Was Pterodactyl a reptile?

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
1971-80-International-Scout-II-6.jpg
I think the trademark protection on “Scout” expired long ago since International Harvester no longer makes these types of vehicles.

My uncle had a Scout. He loved that thing. Drove it until it wouldn’t go no more…. Great name to revive too!