First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do they identify which ones are problem engines is indeed the rub. In the absence of a scientific method to propose while sitting across the table from the NHTSA lawyers, the government is most likely to say, "You just need to replace all of them them to satisfy this issue for us." We will see.

But to my point, if they have to replace a couple hundred thousand engines that will indeed be a PR issue.
Look like Ford has a software fix to detect a failure before it occurs and to stop a breach from happening.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RMISC-23V380-5342.pdf

May – November 2023: Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod bearing failures for all cylinders. The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the process of failing, and provide notification to the driver. Once the software was developed, the engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing. The results of the testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine from a block breach.

On December 15, 2023, Ford’s Field Review Committee approved the remedy for the 23S27 field action.
When the software detects the issue it will stop the breach from happening.

Ford does need to fully cover anyone who gets the warning with a new engine.
Sponsored

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man this sounds eerily similar to the KIA issue with the theta 4 cyl engine. They added logic to the ecm to detect a failing engine using the knock sensors. I guess it was so common they would alert the driver to return to dealer for service immediately to avoid failure and a fire. It gave you 25 miles or so in limp mode then shut engine down. They replaced the engine no questions asked for 100-150k but it spooked me and I sold the car, didnt want something I couldnt trust. Think they had issues with false alarms too for awhile. Good luck everyone.
I had one of those kia souls that were affected by this issue.... i can assure you that they did not just replace the engine "no questions asked". It was a fucking HASSLE. It went something like this:

1. received recall notice which vaguely explained the issue and said if you bring it in for a software update to heighten the sensitivity of the knock sensor, they will extend the warranty. took car in for recall.
2. Months later car went into "limp mode" (it basically governs the engine to like 45mph, not fun on the interstate).
3. had car towed to nearest kia dealership to me at the time of failure. waited three months for them to even look at the car, called kia corporate and had them authorize the car be delivered to a different dealership closer to home who looked at it immediately. they "did another software update", ran through a list of kia mandated tests which it passed. took it out of limp mode and sent me on my way.
4. months later car went into limp mode.
5. took car in and they ran through the kia mandated tests and it failed. kia authorized motor replacement. waited two weeks for engine to be replaced.
6. a month later the "kia boys" repeatedly attempted to steal my car over the course of two weeks.
7. sold car to kia dealership and placed order for maverick.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You too? Here in Houston, Tx area, two big distribution or sorting centers are having big delays. Big time news, with go t officials involved. Guess still hiring some who can’t read??
Most of the mailmen in this area can't read, and can't cipher numbers. It keeps us in touch with our neighbors. We get together occasionally and swap mail, like a neighborhood party. I told the local postmistress that. She was not amused!

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford doesn't comment on these type of posts.
The legal department would have the commenter drawn and quartered in the parking lot. Mandatory attendance by all employees.

MDmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got mine this week. I love the truck but literally laughed at “engine failure may cause reduce power”. I’m hoping that this isn’t a Hyundai engine fiasco recall

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got mine this week. I love the truck but literally laughed at “engine failure may cause reduce power”. I’m hoping that this isn’t a Hyundai engine fiasco recall
The engine that the hybrid uses has been around for what seems to be an eternity and is historically very reliable. Ford really needs to get their heads out of their behinds....

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMO chances are slim for everyone fearing their truck is going to catch fire, but if it does, screw fire extinguishers, get out and let it burn

Sponsored

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IMO chances are slim for everyone fearing their truck is going to catch fire, but if it does, screw fire extinguishers, get out and let it burn
Call State Farm and tell them to start writing out my check. Call the nearest Toyota dealer and go check out Prius and Corolla Cross.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had one of those kia souls that were affected by this issue.... i can assure you that they did not just replace the engine "no questions asked". It was a fucking HASSLE. It went something like this:

1. received recall notice which vaguely explained the issue and said if you bring it in for a software update to heighten the sensitivity of the knock sensor, they will extend the warranty. took car in for recall.
2. Months later car went into "limp mode" (it basically governs the engine to like 45mph, not fun on the interstate).
3. had car towed to nearest kia dealership to me at the time of failure. waited three months for them to even look at the car, called kia corporate and had them authorize the car be delivered to a different dealership closer to home who looked at it immediately. they "did another software update", ran through a list of kia mandated tests which it passed. took it out of limp mode and sent me on my way.
4. months later car went into limp mode.
5. took car in and they ran through the kia mandated tests and it failed. kia authorized motor replacement. waited two weeks for engine to be replaced.
6. a month later the "kia boys" repeatedly attempted to steal my car over the course of two weeks.
7. sold car to kia dealership and placed order for maverick.
Well didnt know it was such a pain, glad we got rid of ours before resale tanked. I actually replaced it with a used lexus gx for less money than the kia and it has been bulletproof and wife loves it. win/win!

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Call State Farm and tell them to start writing out my check. Call the nearest Toyota dealer and go check out Prius and Corolla Cross.
Son just took delivery of a Corolla hatch. The build quality is perfect. Different animal altogether.

Cheers.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My fear is an engine fire with the Maverick parked in my three-car garage under my house. Ford needs to open up with clarification....my Dealership Service Advisor is totally in the dark on this recall.

MAVRICKDAVE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Oxford White Tremor 24 XL Atlas Blue Hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Got mine as well. Seems like dealerships around me are not to thrilled about taking our trucks in to service these recalls either.

I'm having issues scheduling an appointment with my home dealership and nearby ones.

Is this exclusively a MY22 issues? If I get the new one will it be immune? I love the truck just not all these issues ailing it.
2023' hybrids made during a small time frame too. Someone used the bad crank shafts by accident.. Go figure it would be mine :(
Sponsored