The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if a mechanical device doesn't exist that could push the button the required number of times each time the car is started. I know they make devices like this for screens and repetitive tasks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if a mechanical device doesn't exist that could push the button the required number of times each time the car is started. I know they make devices like this for screens and repetitive tasks.
...well in many ways that is what this is! I am not sending any signal to the ECU or anything of the sort. All this module does is automates the mechanical function of the switch.

My dad was a master electrician and did quite a bit of industrial control in his day. After pouring over his books for several days and diagnosing the task required, I came to the conclusion that using a couple of over-the-counter timers in series was the best solution.

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there any reason Ford couldn't adjust this with a software update that would keep the truck in eco mode by default?

I am sure there is a reason(s) and it more than likely has to do with that broad range of OEM suppliers and TRIMS. Know that it is not only Ford, other automakers have been doing the same for a while.

noticon75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford F250, 15 VW Passat,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any reason Ford couldn't adjust this with a software update that would keep the truck in eco mode by default?
I know Ford has made vehicles that will hold the Eco mode. My daughters 16 Fusion Hybrid does this so why they won't/"can't" to the Maverick is beyond me!

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know Ford has made vehicles that will hold the Eco mode. My daughters 16 Fusion Hybrid does this so why they won't/"can't" to the Maverick is beyond me!

I posted this response earlier, but somehow, it was not published. All of the vehicles in the C2 platform suffer from the same deficiencies. Much has to do with the decentralization of the ECU into 14 separate modules. This is very good for the consumer because if a module goes bad is like $100 and not $1000. They also get to choose from over 100 different combinations. Not sure why this is needed, but you can.

With this also comes the need for more CPU and RAM power which the central computer does not have. So when 14 modules wake up and they start reporting at the same time, it clutters the BUS. I am guessing that is why the ECU sends a "0" state to the BUS on bootup. This resets all the modules, so they don't have to report their state except for FAULT which happens about 120 sec later. This is my first FORD in over two decades, and still learning a lot about it, but one thing I can tell you is that the ECU on the Maverick is doing several puzzling things

Sponsored

noticon75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford F250, 15 VW Passat,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I posted this response earlier, but somehow, it was not published. All of the vehicles in the C2 platform suffer from the same deficiencies. Much has to do with the decentralization of the ECU into 14 separate modules. This is very good for the consumer because if a module goes bad is like $100 and not $1000. They also get to choose from over 100 different combinations. Not sure why this is needed, but you can.

With this also comes the need for more CPU and RAM power which the central computer does not have. So when 14 modules wake up and they start reporting at the same time, it clutters the BUS. I am guessing that is why the ECU sends a "0" state to the BUS on bootup. This resets all the modules, so they don't have to report their state except for FAULT which happens about 120 sec later. This is my first FORD in over two decades, and still learning a lot about it, but one thing I can tell you is that the ECU on the Maverick is doing several puzzling things
I'll nod and smile and pretend like I understand what you said! LOL. If you would have said it is all "F@(%!#& magic" Would have given the same response! I do love your mod and your knowledge to make it al work is astounding!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think Mr Simpson had one on his computer in the nuclear reactor control room to push his enter key.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Whatā€™s the chance that adding additional pulses could activate the additional drive modes that are not available on FX4 models. (Eco-Mode and Sport)
@CubanRedneck I am truly impressed with your knowledge and attention to detail, both with the mod and the video. Could you please visit any relatives in NJ and bring your tools with you. Iā€™d love to supply you with a terrific diner at the restaurant of your choice when youā€™re done modding my Maverick. Great job.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Working on that! WIll be taking the steering wheel and the radio off tomorrow. I am trying to figure out which way to go on that before ordering parts.
Ok, good ideas, but how about unlatch seatbelts when put into park?

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am sure there is a reason(s) and it more than likely has to do with that broad range of OEM suppliers and TRIMS. Know that it is not only Ford, other automakers have been doing the same for a while.
So a selector knob with detents for the drive mode selector knob which could be set to the number of button pushes for whatever the desired startup drive mode wanted.

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. The drive mode has control over many parts of the vehicle. The transmission, injector duty, timing, and several other factors that have to be calculated as per ambient temp, barometric pressure, and an array of others. Although not applicable to the Maverick, in some vehicles, it even controls suspension and traction control. Think of it as pressing the SHIFT LOCK key on your PC before it boots. And YES, this can be achieved via software, but they have made no effort to correct it. BTW, this is not a FORD only issue. Many NEW cars suffer from the same lack of understanding of who the customer is or wants.
So a selector knob with detents for the drive mode selector knob which could be set to the number of button pushes for whatever the desired startup drive mode wanted.

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was able to mess around with the C302 connector (the one in your video that you mention not to use, since the resistance is different). The wire in the 7th position at the connector is the one that controls the drive mode, per the service manual. It is Gray/Violet (CYT30).

I separated the connector and stuck a tiny gauge wire into the 7th spot, and then reclamped the connector.

Touching this wire to the screw below the in-cab fuse box triggers the mode change, just like pushing the button.

So Cuban Redneck's idea (which is brilliant) can be accomplished without any disassembly of the center console at all. All you need to do is tap wire 7 and fish the wire up to a spot where you would like to install your button hack.

Fuse 6 has been reported to be ignition switched, so would be a great place to tap for power for this device, and wouldn't require going to the ignition wire in the steering column:

Passenger Compartment Fuses | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

I plan to use a 7805 regulator to drop the 12V to 5V to power a PIC microcontroller that will be powered when the key is turned. 5 second delay, then 5 pulses as Cuban Redneck as detailed (one extra for the seat belt indicator) on an output pin that will control an optoisolated solid state relay that will connect the wire I tapped into pin 7 of C302 to ground.

I'll publish my schematic and PCB/components.

Ford Maverick Default to Eco-Mode with this DIY  Module 20230503_171729

Ford Maverick Default to Eco-Mode with this DIY  Module 20230503_171750

Last edited:

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I plan to use a 7805 regulator to drop the 12V to 5V to power a PIC microcontroller that will be powered when the key is turned. 5 second delay, then 5 pulses as Cuban Redneck as detailed (one extra for the seat belt indicator) on an output pin that will control an optoisolated solid state relay that will connect the wire I tapped into pin 7 of C302 to ground.
I too was inspired by this. I have been working on a solution using an Arduino and some Mosfets. It has taken me much longer than I wanted, life gets in the way, but I finally completed it last weekend. Now Iā€˜m working on a write up of what I did.

I am doing Drive Mode and Auto Start/Stop.
I did go to the actual switches, to be sure it is the ā€˜sameā€™ as pressing the button; and so I didnā€™t have to mess with that main harness. I created a harness to put inline, so I could tap off that and so it could be removed later if need be.
I also did that so the switch can be used to configure both of those whenever you want, to whatever you want.

The Arduino Iā€™m using can handle up to 24v, so no regulator is needed in my case.

Fuses 3 and 6 are ignition based. 3 gets power when just remote started, 6 gets power when fully started. The problem is a normal fuse tap doesnā€™t fit in 6. I connected to 3, and have code to get around the remote start issue. Too a bit to diagnose and understand that.

Once I post my write up, Iā€™ll put a link in this thread.
Sponsored