First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the new way. Our Integra has the 1.5L VTEC turbo of the Civic Si. It's a great little engine. We're averaging about 39mpg and it's a hoot to drive with the 6MT. But it's nothing like those old high revving I4s of yesteryear. For good and for bad, I suppose.
Yeah, I really liked how the 1.5L engine revved on our 1991 Civic with the 5-speed manual when we had it.

Those days are gone. And I only drive automatics now. The Maverick Hybrid CVT is super smooth and well-behaved.
Sponsored

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just saw a report on line (Google) listing resale values for trucks (mid size and full) and the Ridgeline was last at 50% after 5 years, Tacoma was top at 77%.

OP
OP
davnau

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Op
Ridgline and Maverick are not competitors. Maybe some overlap.

The Maverick sits in a space all by itself. Santa Cruz competes.

Size, Price, Fuel Economy Maverick wins.
I agree.

CU lumps all non-full sized trucks into one category. I suspect that will change as more compact trucks are introduced over time.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Handles it just fine. Itā€™s 1900 pounds boat, motor and trailer with a Yamaha 9.9, 13 foot in length. Itā€™s little - an Apex Marine GillGetter. Got the last 13 footer they built last August. The Volvo C70 also pulled it fine. Never an issue launching or retrieving. Obviously would not work with your 20 footer.
Yeah wife tore the cover on it today. The boat weighs 1900 so that plus the trailer and 60hp motor is well over the 2K. 4K tow package will be fine. Never towed it more than 2 miles the cover place is like 30 mikes away. Have an f150 now don't expect the Mav to hopefully in Dec. Thanks again.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

CR always favors Honda and Toyota. Sometimes with good cause, but the Ridgeline should not have been rated better than Maverick for the reasons Davnau mentions.
The Ridgeline will run circles around the Maverick when it comes to reliability and resale value.

That being said, the poor mileage, high price, and lower ground clearance are why I own a Maverick.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ridgeline will run circles around the Maverick when it comes to reliability and resale value.
I won't question you about reliability but are you absolutely sure about resale value? Have you seen what people are willing to pay for a Maverick? :LOL:

In normal times, yes, Honda should hold its value better. But Ford has struck gold with the Maverick and these are not normal times.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Comparing a Maverick to a Ridgeline is like comparing a Ridgeline to an F150.

Nobody but a fool would do that.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The Ridgeline is easily Honda's most problematic vehicle in recent history

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IF CR used aesthetics in their ratings, the Ridgeline would be a lot lower -- that's the ugliest truck I've ever seen, it's like a visual nails-on-the-chalkboard for me. The automotive press love it, but the sales level implies that the public doesn't.
The first Ridgeline was ugly as all get out, but I don't think the new one is bad looking as long as you don't get the HPD trim with the hideous thick black fender flares. The bed on the Ridgeline is wider than the Mavericks but it is also more shallow than the Mavericks. Honda gave up bed depth to make space under the bed for the spare tire and the "trunk".

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I won't question you about reliability but are you absolutely sure about resale value? Have you seen what people are willing to pay for a Maverick? :LOL:

In normal times, yes, Honda should hold its value better. But Ford has struck gold with the Maverick and these are not normal times.
I think the bottom will fall out of the used car market in the next year, and some folks who paid 10k over for a Maverick will not be too happy.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ridgline and Maverick are not competitors. Maybe some overlap.

The Maverick sits in a space all by itself. Santa Cruz competes.

Size, Price, Fuel Economy Maverick wins.
You're right. And that's why I want a Maverick. Maybe someday they'll come out with a Super Cab Maverick and I'll trade in my XLT. But, who knows.

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Preferring a 2.0L turbo 4 to a 3.5L N/A V6 from one of the best engine companies on the planet is super weird, but to each their own. I don't see the Maverick and Ridgeline as competitors. But literally everyone else on the planet laments the loss of naturally aspirated V6 engines except MTC people worried about a 105k timing belt service but not at all about the potential complications from a small turbo engine.

I'm buying a Maverick, and I have never considered a Ridgeline. But the J-series Honda V6 is a tried/true wonderful engine with a unique sound and smoothness.
Iā€™m sure it is a great engineā€¦with regular maintenance. Our 2014 Fusion hybrid and our 1995 2.3 l Ranger both had 200k plus without a problem before we sold them, and they continued on with the next owners (sold both to friends/colleagues so I knew they kept running).

But I get the beef with rubber timing belts and interference engines, like the 3.5 l n/a Honda v6. These engines are incompatible with people like my grandson! šŸ˜„ He doesnā€™t preventatively maintain his vehicles the way most Honda owners do. Heā€™s lost two used cars to blown engines due to his lack of attention to timing belt wear. The belts broke, and both had interference engines.

MaverickGal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree itā€™s a good engine. Had a 2005 Odyssey for 200K miles with it. Was almost due for the second timing belt, but with the kids grown, traded it in for a Fit. Ody could only barely get 26 MPG at 65 MPH and averaged 17-18 MPG tops. My Maverick XL Hybrid gets better mileage than the Fit, and cost about the same, even with the Fit EX-L being a 2015 model. And the Maverick is way more useful.

I feel lucky every time I drive the Maverick.
Thatā€™s good to read - I got rid of my Honda Fit Sport because of the lousy mileage for too small of a car and saw the Maverick as a great replacement. Honda makes awesome enginesā€¦I just donā€™t think their models meet my needs.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think the bottom will fall out of the used car market in the next year, and some folks who paid 10k over for a Maverick will not be too happy.
That's common sense. Anybody who bought any car at 10K over "the normal price" is gonna take a beating.
Wait till the housing market resets. (if it does) That's gonna be real fun.
Sponsored