Sponsored

faceoff Honda Ridgeline Ford Maverick (consumer reports)

reciprocating_ravioli

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll never buy/drive another Honda after having to deal with daughter's 2010 Civic -- it (when she traded it in after college graduation) was on its 4th paint job after the notorious Honda black oxidizing paint and dry rotted weatherstripping...
Yeah - I bought a new 2015 Pilot. First new vehicle I have ever bought. Paint had some weird defects with a lot of "trash" that was sprayed over. That was fixed, but there were these deep swirled lines under the paint in one area. Dealer tried to fix it, but would have had to strip it down and repaint. So ended up buying a certfied pre-owned. Had a vibration/shake at 50 that they never could fix. Pully/belt screeched when shifting right at 40 mph. Stupid VCM that cut 3 cylinders when driving, and despite bets efforts only got 17 mpg. Just never a really good ownership experience.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t really see anything wrong with this article. The Honda V6 engine is a gem. If you don’t care about fuel efficiency, that is one of the last naturally aspirated V6 engines on the market.

The scores were close. The Maverick wasn’t projected to have the reliability of the Ridgeline - I feel like that is a very reasonable assumption.

I would say even though they “preferred” the Ridgeline, this seems like a win for the Maverick given it is half the price to start. It reads to me like an acknowledgement that the Mav punches above its weight.

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Looks like they didn't account for the ass ugly styling of the Ridgeline. They hacked the back half of an Odyssey off and put a little truck bed on it and called it a day. They look like crap, and always have. I figured they'd kill the design after the first Ridgeline (which was a Chevy lookalike with its stupid angled bed sides).

If you're looking at the price difference, obviously, $16K+ is going to buy you a nicer interior. I bought the Maverick because it is practical and rather spartan, having none of that expensive shit I don't want. Android Auto and a backup camera were all the more tech I needed. Which is perfect! The Maverick is a 4cyl, compact truck. The Ridgeline is a 6cyl medium "truck" (using this term loosely). They're both more of a crossover, in reality.

I'm pulling in 47mpg on average on my hybrid Maverick. Almost twice what the Ridgeline is capable of. Honda isn't the little economy car it once was...its now more of a high end economy car. Their prices were such I didn't even stop to look at any offerings.

CR is sucking a big fatty on this one. This was not a reasonable comparison for them to make. No one makes something similar to the Maverick, it is a first of its kind.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll never buy/drive another Honda after having to deal with daughter's 2010 Civic -- it (when she traded it in after college graduation) was on its 4th paint job after the notorious Honda black oxidizing paint and dry rotted weatherstripping...
My wife and I have had much better luck with our two Honda's.

On my 2015 Honda Fit Ex I had no repairs or any quality issues over the 7 years and 1 month I owned it. I sold the Fit to Carvana when I bought my Maverick.

The wife's 2009 Honda CR-V is still going strong over the 13 years and 9 months of ownership. Also no quality issues.

The only repairs were replacing the washer fluid hose when a varmint chewed on it and a defective door switch.

Currently my friend is helping me replace the front and rear struts and sway bar links but after 13+ years these are more a maintenance item than a repair.

I also put Oil/Filter Changes, Tire replacement, Rotation and 4-Wheel alignment, Wipers, Flush Brakes, 12V Battery, Engine and Cabin Filters, Transmission Fluid Replacement, Power Steering Fluid Replacement, Coolant Flush, Replace Headlights and Spark Plug Replacement as Maintenance Items as all of these do wear out over time whereas repairs are unexpected.

Overall our Hondas were the best vehicles we owned so far. However I needed a truck again so that resulted in my Maverick purchase which for 9 months is going great.

Last edited:

Xjeepguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XLT 4K FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2.0 not a Hybrid but I re-watched Out OF Specs reviews last night, i think he is pretty straight shooter and is no push over, i watch all his stuff, its from about 6months ago. If your a Mav hybrid owner who needs a bit of love its worth a re-watch.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And 29mpg hwy, not likely for a Ridgeline, I believe the they are now rated at 24hwy, they also have the fuel economy figures for the hybrid backwards. The Maverick also scored lower with the reliabilty rating which is not established yet being a new model.
All good points.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And again CR picks the Honda Ridgeline........ And in other news, the sun came up.
To be fair, Honda does have a better track record in areas like reliability. Ford guys can beat on the non-American brands all they want, but the top Japanese brands have a history of making superior vehicles that tend to last longer (so many caveats to that statement). Some of that comes down to how owners treat their vehicles, so I'll wait and see how my Maverick Hybrid holds up. If it's in as good as shape as my 14 year old Toyota Camry Hybrid was when the Maverick's warranty runs out in 5 years, I might keep it. Given the number of recalls, weak paint, and such I'm hesitant to say that is possible at this point. Ford will have to prove me otherwise to keep my business.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To be fair, Honda does have a better track record in areas like reliability. Ford guys can beat on the non-American brands all they want, but the top Japanese brands have a history of making superior vehicles that tend to last longer (so many caveats to that statement). Some of that comes down to how owners treat their vehicles, so I'll wait and see how my Maverick Hybrid holds up. If it's in as good as shape as my 14 year old Toyota Camry Hybrid was when the Maverick's warranty runs out in 5 years, I might keep it. Given the number of recalls, weak paint, and such I'm hesitant to say that is possible at this point. Ford will have to prove me otherwise to keep my business.
No doubt. You are correct. But they are 2 different vehicles with vastly different appeal to different buyers. The Odyssey pick up is way more expensive, bigger, gets crappy mileage, etc....

The Mav offers buyers a chance at hybrid mileage , a bed, seating for 4......(who we kidding?) for about $25K.

CR has even put the Odyssey pickup over the F150, Ram and Silverado. Again, wrong vehicles.

They love Honda. I loved my Accord up to the 204K I put on it before it got totaled. But the Odyssey pick up isn't a small sedan. It's a minivan with a bed.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No doubt. You are correct. But they are 2 different vehicles with vastly different appeal to different buyers. The Odyssey pick up is way more expensive, bigger, gets crappy mileage, etc....

The Mav offers buyers a chance at hybrid mileage , a bed, seating for 4......(who we kidding?) for about $25K.

CR has even put the Odyssey pickup over the F150, Ram and Silverado. Again, wrong vehicles.

They love Honda. I loved my Accord up to the 204K I put on it before it got totaled. But the Odyssey pick up isn't a small sedan. It's a minivan with a bed.
To be fair the Maverick is an Escape/Bronco Sport with a bed... ;) At least Ford didn't put that crazy 3 banger turbo from the Bronco Sport into the Maverick.

I'd likely pick the Ridgeline over either of those full size American designed trucks too, unless I needed to tow a big trailer. I could have bought a used Ridgeline for the price I paid for my Maverick. I think the choice I made is obvious. I suspect a lot of people would pick the Ridgeline for the comfort over the fuel economy. Just look at how many people buy full sized pickups (and then complain about fuel prices), and you'll have your answer to why some might pick a Ridgeline over the Maverick.

Interior fit, finish and comfort is weighted very highly in most reviews.

Last edited:

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To be fair the Maverick is an Escape/Bronco Sport with a bed... ;) At least Ford didn't put that crazy 3 banger turbo from the Bronco Sport into the Maverick.

I'd likely pick the Ridgeline over either of those full size American designed trucks too, unless I needed to tow a big trailer. I could have bought a used Ridgeline for the price I paid for my Maverick. I think the choice I made is obvious. I suspect a lot of people would pick the Ridgeline for the comfort over the fuel economy. Just look at how many people buy full sized pickups (and then complain about fuel prices), and you'll have your answer to why some might pick a Ridgeline over the Maverick.

Interior fit, finish and comfort is weighted very highly in most reviews.
Gotta be honest.

You're not picking up what the Maverick's laying down.

It's a truck.

EOS

But it's all good.

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Gotta be honest.

You're not picking up what the Maverick's laying down.

It's a truck.

EOS

But it's all good.
How exactly do I not get the vehicle I own? :ROFLMAO: I use it as a truck 5-6 days a week, not as a commuter vehicle. You just don't get what I'm getting at, that's okay.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They aren't in the same class. Ridgeline is twice the cost, just to start.

I'm usually a fan of Consumer Reports, but this is a swing and a miss...
To be fair, there is nothing to compare the Maverick I'm terms of cost, mpg. You uh she to compare it to a civic lol

Midwest Jim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love my first gen Ridgeline, but in the last 2000 miles of mixed driving I'm averaging 17.9 mpg.

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife and I have had much better luck with our two Honda's.

On my 2015 Honda Fit Ex I had no repairs or any quality issues over the 7 years and 1 month I owned it. I sold the Fit to Carvana when I bought my Maverick.

The wife's 2009 Honda CR-V is still going strong over the 13 years and 9 months of ownership. Also no quality issues.

The only repairs were replacing the washer fluid hose when a varmint chewed on it and a defective door switch.

Currently my friend is helping me replace the front and rear struts and sway bar links but after 13+ years these are more a maintenance item than a repair.

I also put Oil/Filter Changes, Tire replacement, Rotation and 4-Wheel alignment, Wipers, Flush Brakes, 12V Battery, Engine and Cabin Filters, Transmission Fluid Replacement, Power Steering Fluid Replacement, Coolant Flush, Replace Headlights and Spark Plug Replacement as Maintenance Items as all of these do wear out over time whereas repairs are unexpected.

Overall our Hondas were the best vehicles we owned so far. However I needed a truck again so that resulted in my Maverick purchase which for 9 months is going great.
My wife has a 2015 CTV, had a crack in the transmission case within the first 20k miles, had several trips to honda for front end alignment issues as well. Its also know for the vehicle vibration while stopped especially in the passenger side that has no fix. Honda's aren't perfect
Sponsored