Sponsored

Common problems - Are you concerned?

DanMustang70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I started looking up common problems for the 2.0 Ecoboost and found this article. This sounds like a real problem for a truck that will be doing some towing. Is anyone else concerned? Do you think Ford will address this issue?

2.0 EcoBoost Cracked Exhaust Manifold
Both generations of the 2.0 EB have an integrated exhaust manifold design. The manifold is made of stainless steel and integrated directly into the cylinder head. Note on European version of this engine, the exhaust manifold is not integrated, using a tradition cylinder head with individual exhaust ports and a conventional manifold.

On the 2.0 EB, exhaust gas temps can reach excessive temperatures, especially when towing or driving up grades. The constant heat cycles created by engines and fluctuating temperatures expands and contracts the stainless steel exhaust manifold. When you combine the continuous expansion and contraction with a vibrating engine, the exhaust manifold can form hairline cracks.

When an exhaust manifold cracks, air begins to seep out of the crack instead of flowing out of the exhaust. While this is not healthy for the environment, it also has significant performance and drivability implications. Turbochargers need back-pressure to operate efficiently. When the exhaust manifold cracks, all back-pressure is lost which means the turbo has to work extra hard to produce normal power levels

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/
Sponsored

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am concerned. A little, as you mentioned for towing needs etc. Both engines seem to have a few quirks that need ironing out imo. The internal wet timing BELT on the 1.5l, and this on the 2.0l. I have read many good things about the 2.0 though so I am less worried about that one. This seems like an easy fix though - use the conventional cylinder head from the euro model?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
I started looking up common problems for the 2.0 Ecoboost and found this article. This sounds like a real problem for a truck that will be doing some towing. Is anyone else concerned? Do you think Ford will address this issue?

2.0 EcoBoost Cracked Exhaust Manifold
Both generations of the 2.0 EB have an integrated exhaust manifold design. The manifold is made of stainless steel and integrated directly into the cylinder head. Note on European version of this engine, the exhaust manifold is not integrated, using a tradition cylinder head with individual exhaust ports and a conventional manifold.

On the 2.0 EB, exhaust gas temps can reach excessive temperatures, especially when towing or driving up grades. The constant heat cycles created by engines and fluctuating temperatures expands and contracts the stainless steel exhaust manifold. When you combine the continuous expansion and contraction with a vibrating engine, the exhaust manifold can form hairline cracks.

When an exhaust manifold cracks, air begins to seep out of the crack instead of flowing out of the exhaust. While this is not healthy for the environment, it also has significant performance and drivability implications. Turbochargers need back-pressure to operate efficiently. When the exhaust manifold cracks, all back-pressure is lost which means the turbo has to work extra hard to produce normal power levels

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/
Meh ..

OP
OP

DanMustang70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Depends if the light duty towing I'd imagine the Mav will be rated for is actually going to strain the engine at all. Towing 5000lbs with my 2.3L EcoBoost Ranger barely makes it sweat. With the right gearing, like a transmission with many gears, the engine will likely never be outside it's comfort zone.
That makes me feel better. I was concerned the engine might have a built-in design flaw. Reminded me of the BMW engine that would warp the heads because of bad design.

Reactions: Doc

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
NOTE: this was posted before specs were known about towing.

I'm not a big fan of towing at capacity with a (gasoline) turbocharged engine. I think they are fine for loads of 50% of capacity somewhat regularly, but I would not make a habit of capacity towing with such an engine. If that's your use case, I'd look at a truck with a larger towing capacity. The Bronco Sport with the 2.0T has a towing capacity of 2,200 pounds. I suspect that the Maverick is going to fall somewhere around 3,000. That means that the Maverick will be fine towing a dirtbike trailer or something similar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I'm not a big fan of towing at capacity with a (gasoline) turbocharged engine. I think they are fine for loads of 50% of capacity somewhat regularly, but I would not make a habit of capacity towing with such an engine. If that's your use case, I'd look at a truck with a larger towing capacity. The Bronco Sport with the 2.0T has a towing capacity of 2,200 pounds. I suspect that the Maverick is going to fall somewhere around 3,000. That means that the Maverick will be fine towing a dirtbike trailer or something similar.

Why? especially at the lower revs is where turbos come in handy for instant torque

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
what about Torque Steer? Nobody has even mentioned it, but it is inherent negative characteristic of transverse mounted FWD. I can't imagine adding twin turbos not making it worse. I-3 with cylinder deactivation seems un-wise. Only known work arounds are full time AWD or low mounted flat boxer configuration motors like Subaru.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Why? especially at the lower revs is where turbos come in handy for instant torque
Because turbos are also good at instant heat. Under towing loads turbos work harder to generate necessary power, which in turn generates additional heat. That heat generated during a long duration can damage the head gasket, cause premature wear to bearings and eats fuel like no V8 can.

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If that Bronco Sport Badland's 2.0L is available in the Maverick = order this engine (unless maybe a hybrid, depending on specs)...

I finally got to highway drive Wifey's Badlands, and the 2.0L does just fine -- this is our 1st Ford vehicle, and the Badlands feels/handles really well (and planted on the road) with ample torque.

Sponsored

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
There appears to be a Class Action Lawsuit on the 2.0 Eco-Boost engine in specific Ford vehicles, I believe it may have been filed earlier this year and affects engines up to 2019. Is this the same engine used in the Bronco Sport and Maverick? If so, is anyone aware of a design change in the engine for these two vehicles? I've also seen write ups on carbon buildup from the Direct Injection system, sounds like a good recommendation for Tier one Premium fuel. In my state, that would add approximately .60 to the gallon.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pre-July 2019 1.5 & 2.0 4-cyl EB's suffered from "coolant intrusion", due to the head gasket failing between cylinders. There was a saw cut in the block, that after July 2019 was changed to a drilled hole design. I had a 1.5EB replaced at 25K in my Escape (6 weeks), but I have heard of no problems since then with the updated design.

HRG

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pre-July 2019 1.5 & 2.0 4-cyl EB's suffered from "coolant intrusion", due to the head gasket failing between cylinders. There was a saw cut in the block, that after July 2019 was changed to a drilled hole design. I had a 1.5EB replaced at 25K in my Escape (6 weeks), but I have heard of no problems since then with the updated design.

HRG
6 weeks? It took that long to repair?

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
Sounds like a complete long-block exchange, as long as the issue has been corrected. I know my local Toyota dealer, use only Master-techs w/ lots of experience to do the work on large projects such as long block exchanges, frame replacements, etc. It does take time, especially if all of the parts have not arrived or wrong ones were ordered.
Sponsored