Sponsored

Any problems with the ecoboost powertrain??

Ford4Life?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
Undecided
Owned many Fords and one(1) Toyota(both New and used) that lasted into high mileage(200k ) without any major powertrain problems.
So wanted to find out how the Maverick powertrains are holding up.

Couldn't get on the list when Maverick came out and needed a vehicle so settled on a Mazda CX-5 SUV. Mazda CX-5 great little suv and drives great.
Problem is the engines....after 36,000 miles, the lifters are intermittent tapping. Unless it happens at the dealer, it's not getting fixed. Likewise many are now experiencing cracked cylinder heads on the CX-5, some just out of 5 year warranty. Whether it's a head replacement or new engine, looking at several thousand dollars to replace out of warranty.

So, before any major engine problems, am looking to trade in the CX-5 for a Maverick. But want to make sure the powertrain will last as long my previous Ford vehicles that lasted 14+ years and over 200 k miles without fail. The frame actually rusted before the engines failed.

So how are the eco-boost engines? Any major engine concerns? Are the hybrids any better?
Sponsored

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2.0 design in the Maverick has been in use since May 2019. I follow an Escape forum where the 2.0 has been in use since May 2019 and if there are systemic issues, they are not being posted. I also have a 2020 Escape with 20k miles, no issues. The only “known” issue is carbon build up on the intake valve as the direct fuel injectiion does not allow the fuel to rinse off the carbon from recycle, catch cans do not stop it. Will they last 200k+, seems likely to me but, the Maverick and their powertrains seem like Bic lighters, use until they give out and then dispose of them, i have 2 vehicles with the old cast iron block Ford 302 that seem near bullet proof pushing 300k miles. I don’t think these new ecoboost engines will last like the 302 has but they should make it until the rest of the vehicle starts falling apart. Can you tell I am a boomer ha ha? 😉

OP
OP

Ford4Life?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
Undecided
The 2.0 design in the Maverick has been in use since May 2019. I follow an Escape forum where the 2.0 has been in use since May 2019 and if there are systemic issues, they are not being posted. I also have a 2020 Escape with 20k miles, no issues. The only “known” issue is carbon build up on the intake valve as the direct fuel injectiion does not allow the fuel to rinse off the carbon from recycle, catch cans do not stop it. Will they last 200k+, seems likely to me but, the Maverick and their powertrains seem like Bic lighters, use until they give out and then dispose of them, i have 2 vehicles with the old cast iron block Ford 302 that seem near bullet proof pushing 300k miles. I don’t think these new ecoboost engines will last like the 302 has but they should make it until the rest of the vehicle starts falling apart. Can you tell I am a boomer ha ha? 😉
Thanks Crunch.

If carbon deposits is the biggest worry thats great.

Beats a Mazda cracked head and tapping lifters anyday.

Good to know ford engines still last.

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Only motor that comes close to the 302 is a 289😜yep,another boomer

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I have had booth, booth excellent engines!
Now a Quad 4 or 2.3 Vega engine, Boo!
Super Boomer;)
Sponsored