Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
anyone used intake cleaner additives on these Eco boost motors?

I've never owned an Ecoboost or turbo vehicle of any type, but in learning about these 2.0 EB motors (probably applies to others as well) there are issues raised concerning having to de carbonize the intake valves around 100k to properly maintain the motor. Seems removing head and manual cleaning is the most common method?

Has anyone tried OTC fuel additives for this? I have used Berryman's B-12 Chemtool with great success for many years in many vehicles. Works on both carbureted and injected motors. Basically treat it it around oil change intervals. In fact this was my secret weapon for passing smog tests in CA :ROFLMAO: 2 pints added to 15 gallons of gas (basically double recommended) and spark plugs go from discolored/dark to bright white when I pull them to check. There are probably other good brands too.

Anyone else tried this and any pros or cons for using additives in Eco boosted motors?
Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
This is one reason, you should get the tow pkg option, larger radiator, cooling fan etc, even if you don’t tow

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you combine the continuous expansion and contraction with a vibrating engine, the exhaust manifold can form hairline cracks.
Same thing happens on all the 5.7 Hemis eventually, as it did on mine. Replacing is kind of a pain. There's also carbon buildup issue which again isn't "if" its a "when" question.

But those are typically issues that show up many years down the road and are just expenses you have to factor in. What I am concerned about is how many Consumer Reports customers complained about problems they experienced with the 2020 Ford Escape on which the Maverick is based, and that was for both powertrains. I hope they have the bugs worked out.

I've linked it here before, but basically Consumer Reports gave the Escape and Bronco sport its lowest possible predicted reliability rating. :(

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order

I've never owned an Ecoboost or turbo vehicle of any type, but in learning about these 2.0 EB motors (probably applies to others as well) there are issues raised concerning having to de carbonize the intake valves around 100k to properly maintain the motor. Seems removing head and manual cleaning is the most common method?

Has anyone tried OTC fuel additives for this? I have used Berryman's B-12 Chemtool with great success for many years in many vehicles. Works on both carbureted and injected motors. Basically treat it it around oil change intervals. In fact this was my secret weapon for passing smog tests in CA :ROFLMAO: 2 pints added to 15 gallons of gas (basically double recommended) and spark plugs go from discolored/dark to bright white when I pull them to check. There are probably other good brands too.

Anyone else tried this and any pros or cons for using additives in Eco boosted motors?
make your own…
Ingredients: chemical, cas, % by weight
Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 10-15%
Petroleum Distillates 64742-47-8 30-40%
n-Propanol 71-23-8 5-10%
Xylene (mixed isomers) 1330-20-7 40-50%

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
make your own…
n-Propanol 71-23-8 5-10%
what, you think I'm Bill Nye or something? I flunked chemistry :ROFLMAO: I'll plunk down the $3.50 at Walmart from my SS check and call it a day!

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
make your own…
n-Propanol 71-23-8 5-10%

I was just doing some math... and wondered. Don't all those % figures add up to more than 100%? I thought so.
What is the answer, really?
tom

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I started looking up common problems for the 2.0 Ecoboost and found this article. This sounds like a real problem for a truck that will be doing some towing. Is anyone else concerned? Do you think Ford will address this issue?

2.0 EcoBoost Cracked Exhaust Manifold
Both generations of the 2.0 EB have an integrated exhaust manifold design. The manifold is made of stainless steel and integrated directly into the cylinder head. Note on European version of this engine, the exhaust manifold is not integrated, using a tradition cylinder head with individual exhaust ports and a conventional manifold.

On the 2.0 EB, exhaust gas temps can reach excessive temperatures, especially when towing or driving up grades. The constant heat cycles created by engines and fluctuating temperatures expands and contracts the stainless steel exhaust manifold. When you combine the continuous expansion and contraction with a vibrating engine, the exhaust manifold can form hairline cracks.

When an exhaust manifold cracks, air begins to seep out of the crack instead of flowing out of the exhaust. While this is not healthy for the environment, it also has significant performance and drivability implications. Turbochargers need back-pressure to operate efficiently. When the exhaust manifold cracks, all back-pressure is lost which means the turbo has to work extra hard to produce normal power levels

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/
Hello all, when I did my research a week or so ago... I seem to recall that these issues were fixed with the newer generation 2.0 EcoBoost engine - that the matter described in this thread was an issue with the 1st gen engine, shared with Mazda? I have no issues with being corrected if I am wrong?

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm with ya. Even towing 2000 I would want the tow package just for the extra cooling.

And I had read in one ad that the Mav can pull "a typical 23 foot trailer". That is ludicrous!
Uh yea, that is "ludicrous"... would you mind sharing that information which made such a claim?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's basically useless. The reason it's a problem is the EcoBoost is a direction injection engine so the fuel is delivered right into the cylinder. Because there isn't fuel/air flowing over the intake valves to help "wash" them you get carbon buildup from the EGR/PCV system that eventually needs to be cleaned.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
make your own…
n-Propanol 71-23-8 5-10%

I was just doing some math... and wondered. Don't all those % figures add up to more than 100%? I thought so.
What is the answer, really?
tom
The actual percentages vary from batch to batch if you add up the low range they don’t hit 100%
10+30+5+40=85
High numbers add up to 15+40+10+50=115

it is safe to say that the actual % by weight of each is 1/2 way between high and low and that = 100%

btw the % I listed in the original post are from their own MSDS

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided

Fuel additives will not work because the fuel is injected straight into the cylinders, bypassing intake valves.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fuel additives will not work because the fuel is injected straight into the cylinders, bypassing intake valves.
so maybe I'm missing something here or confused or both? Are you saying the engine knows the difference how the atomized fuel mixture enters the combustion chamber and there would be no carbon cleaning effects of the chemicals added in the fuel unless the mixture enters from the opening of the intake valves? For real I have personally had plugs I've observed to be dirty , then ran the Chemtool (no I don't work for them) through a tank of gas and pulled the plugs again and they were noticably cleaner. I have to assume other surfaces like piston crowns, valves are also getting cleaned at same time as the plugs- or is that completely unreasonable somehow?

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
so maybe I'm missing something here or confused or both? Are you saying the engine knows the difference how the atomized fuel mixture enters the combustion chamber and there would be no carbon cleaning effects of the chemicals added in the fuel unless the mixture enters from the opening of the intake valves? For real I have personally had plugs I've observed to be dirty , then ran the Chemtool (no I don't work for them) through a tank of gas and pulled the plugs again and they were noticably cleaner. I have to assume other surfaces like piston crowns, valves are also getting cleaned at same time as the plugs- or is that completely unreasonable somehow?
The plugs are in the combustion chamber. The valves get dirty on the intake manifold side from heat/oil. I am very aware of this problem after owning several direct injected Audis. They eventually need walnut blasting. Other manufacturers including Toyota have added port injectors just to keep the valves clean.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
It is a slight concern since my truck will see 95% city driving and that doesn't help the carbon build up but at 6000 miles a year maybe...It should take a while
Sponsored