Common problems - Are you concerned?

Tennessee

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
what about Torque Steer? Nobody has even mentioned it, but it is inherent negative characteristic of transverse mounted FWD. I can't imagine adding twin turbos not making it worse. I-3 with cylinder deactivation seems un-wise. Only known work arounds are full time AWD or low mounted flat boxer configuration motors like Subaru.
I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST with a 197 horsepower ecoboost engine and 230 lb of torque. It is a very entertaining car! You can make it torque steer, but to do so you have to be trying to go damn fast. It is more obvious when you are also trying to corner hard, not a situation that is likely to occur very often in typical truck use. My two cents worth.

Old Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
yeah, from what I understand it is most obvious when rounding a corner and stepping on the gas and you feel the tug of the steering wheel in your hands. Also on "jack rabbit starts" from a dead start if you have a lead foot. Now I'd never investigated before since I wasn't in the market for any vehicle with a tranverse motor and FWD, until this Maverick. None of my old info was on turbocharged motors either, so glad to hear personal experience on this.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Pre-July 2019 1.5 & 2.0 4-cyl EB's suffered from "coolant intrusion", due to the head gasket failing between cylinders. There was a saw cut in the block, that after July 2019 was changed to a drilled hole design. I had a 1.5EB replaced at 25K in my Escape (6 weeks), but I have heard of no problems since then with the updated design.

HRG
Hi Terry, I've been reading up on the coolant intrusion issue and am wondering: Did getting rid of the groove and drilling a hole for coolant passage really solve the problem? It's still an open deck block. I can see how there is more surface for the gasket to mate but do you think the problem is gone?

Hot Runr Guy

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Escape, 2019 Edge
Hi Terry, I've been reading up on the coolant intrusion issue and am wondering: Did getting rid of the groove and drilling a hole for coolant passage really solve the problem? It's still an open deck block. I can see how there is more surface for the gasket to mate but do you think the problem is gone?
Jimmy,
I guess only tell will tell. I've got about 12K on 'er after the short block replacement, and so far so good. I DID purchase a Ford Extended warranty just for some longer-term peace of mind.

HRG

Mark

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Dually
I'm not a big fan of towing at capacity with a (gasoline) turbocharged engine. I think they are fine for loads of 50% of capacity somewhat regularly, but I would not make a habit of capacity towing with such an engine. If that's your use case, I'd look at a truck with a larger towing capacity. The Bronco Sport with the 2.0T has a towing capacity of 2,200 pounds. I suspect that the Maverick is going to fall somewhere around 3,000. That means that the Maverick will be fine towing a dirtbike trailer or something similar.
With the 2.0L EB the towing capacity is 2000 pounds unless you get the towing package which bumps it up to 4000 pounds.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
My estimate was posted a month prior to the release of data.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I'm with ya. Even towing 2000 I would want the tow package just for the extra cooling.

And I had read in one ad that the Mav can pull "a typical 23 foot trailer". That is ludicrous!